• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Furry RPG list

Almafeta

Banned
Because I'm bored, a list of every 'furry' RPG I can think of, rated from five-paws (very furry) to one-paw (has a couple of furry elements). Games are rated on furriness, not on quality.

<b>Five Paws</b>

<i>After The Bomb 2e</i>: 98% of all fursonas I know of can be built with this system, and it's a system made to build furs, not a system made to build anything with furs being possible if you know to take Powers X, Y, and Z with Modifiers A, B, and C. Plus, you have this really great post-apocalyptic storyline to work with, and discussions on how a mostly-animal society would work (not enough, but you get some good ideas in there).

<i>Ironclaw</i> (and its sister RPG <i>Jadeclaw</i>): Every game on this list has furry elements, but not too many were made by a furry, as Ironclaw. There are dozens of races, all furry, and the races have roles in both the settings and the system, rather than being packages of modifiers.

<i>Tales From The Wood</i>: A RPG dealing with the small-critter genre, like Nimh and Forest. Rodents are rodents, predators are predators, and Man is deadly and dangerous. (I was given a free copy to review, and I never did review it...)

<i>Werewolf: The Apocalypse</i>: A major theme of Werewolf is the question of how to balance one's wolf and one's human side -- and if that's not the very definition of 'furry', I don't know what is. Other themes include totemism, family (both appreciating your normal family, and finding family in others), and rediscovering spirituality, the wild, and one's own true nature. Supplements included other wereraces, until it started getting silly.

<b>Four Paws</b>

<i>Furry Pirates</i> (and its sister game, <i>Furry Rogues</i>): Much like Ironclaw, it's set in an anthropomorphic fantasy world; however, instead of copping out and calling it something else (a la <i>7th Sea</i> or <i>Ironclaw</i>), this <i>is</i> the real world.

<i>Gamma World (4e / 5e)</i>: Gamma World, the game of mutants in a weird postapocalypse. 4e uses randomly mutated animal species, while 5e relies on stable animal species. (1e through 3e have them, I'm told, and 6e is described later).

<i>GURPS Uplift</i>: Humanity gave the gift of intelligence to monkeys, dolphins, wolves, cats... but who gave the gift of intelligence to humanity?

<i>JAGS Have-Not</i>: It has exemplary rules for mutant animal creation -- I was able to create a flying, winged skunktaur without a hitch. (Now, the rules for <i>combat</i> are another thing entirely...)

<i>Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles</i>: Not a five-paw for two reasons: one, its character creation system isn't quite as fleshed out as <i>ATB</i>'s; two, there's no particular reason for furs to exist. (<i>Player: "Why are we dogs and birds anyways?" GM: "Well... I... uh... oh look! A ninja!"</i>)

<i>Usagi Yojimbo</i>: An anthropomorphic version of medieval Japan. Not five-stars because of its use of Instant Fuzion, but otherwise, a well-thought-out game.

<b>Three Paws</b>

<i>d20 Modern</i>: In the back of the book are rules for 'moreaus'. Although the choices are extremely limited, because it's slightly more flexible (with 'covert', 'moderate', and 'overt' versions of the moreaus) and the background is better fleshed out, it's worth an extra paw.

<i>Changeling: The Dreaming</i>: Pooka PCs are part fey, part animal, and they don't have a problem with it.

<i>GURPS Biotech</i>: Includes rules for uplifted animals, some premade species (from a 'catgirl virus' to uplifted gorillas and raccoons), and some discussions on how animals might work in human society. Also has extensive, well-researched guidelines for making new GURPS races out of animals or from scratch.

<i>Rifts</i>: It's an everything-and-the-kitchen-sink game. From anthropomorphic D-Bees (core), to totemic magic (world books 14 and/or 15), to Dog Boys and hatchling Dragons (core). And you can import stuff from most Palladium games in -- Rifts has become the Palladium metasetting, more or less -- so you could have a ninja vixen in a Flying Titan battlesuit.

<i>Shadowrun</i>: You have shapeshifters in later supplements, and shamans who draw their power (and get badgered around by) animal totems.

<i>Technomancer</i>: Among the races are shapeshifting foxes, coyotes, spiders, and 'half-breeds'; even killer penguins. In other areas, illusion performances and 'shapedancing' (becoming partly or fully animal as you dance) are new magical performing arts.

<b>Two Paws</b>

<i>Arcana Unearthed</i>: In most ways your standard fantasy game, AU has furry races right by the staples.

<i>Blue Planet</i>: Uplifted dolphins and orcas are player characters.

<i>Cyberpunk 2020</i>: 'Exotics' in the core book normally merit a one-paw, but averaging in 'biological' cybernetics and fashionmods in later books bring it up to two stars. The new edition will have furries in space as PCs -- well, assuming it ever comes out.

<i>Dungeons & Dragons</i>: If you use the SRDs, you will find 'animalistic' races (aranea, kobolds, and the like) which can be played next to 'humanistic' (elves, dwarves, and the like) races with little trouble.

<i>Lightspeed</i>: You have vicious predators, reptilian herd animals, and cute fluffy fuzzballs as races. Interesting, but hard details are hard to come by.

<i>Star Wars</i>: You have Ewoks, Gammoreans, Mon Calamari, Rodians, Wookies, and other animalistic races; whether or not they are furries depends on how you define the term 'furry'. Also, the 'near-human' race allows for considerable leeway; if you're a 'near-human' because you have wolf fur, or cat ears and a tail, it works just as if you were near-human because your race has purple skin. (Let me tell you about my skunk smuggler sometime! :))

<i>Vampire</i>: Among the 'OMG i'm dead suxxor' clans is the Gangrel, who survive their immortality by learning to understand animals.

<b>One Paw</b>

<i>Buffy The Vampire Slayer</i>: You can play as a werewolf (more of a curse-werewolf than a human-meets-animal were). There's an okay Unisystem version and an excellent d6 version.

<i>Exalted</i>: One of the many powers an Exalted can take is shapeshifting into an animal, so it's worth a mention.

<i>Fantasy Hero</i>: Worth a mention for the 'Feline' (I didn't name it, folks) and 'Lizard Man' races.

<i>Gamma World d20</i>: Some of the monsters are anthropomorphic, but in and of itself, it doesn't have much of a furry element.

<i>Samurai Pizza Cats</i>: Hey, it's mostly set dressing, but it deserves mention here.

<i>Supermegatopia</i>: Most characters in this series is a furry, but they're not weasels and mongooses because of any rationale; they're weasels and mongooses because they are named Weasel Boy and Mongoose <strike>Guy</strike> Gal.

<i>Thrash</i>: There are rules for mutant animal fighters (like in Darkstalkers), so it's worth a mention.

<b>Games I haven't seen or haven't released yet:</b>

<i>Albedo</i>: Based on the comic of the same name; whenever I mention furry RPGs, I'm asked, "You mean like Albeido?" The third edition is around the corner.

<i>Aquavita</i>: Retrocode PCs are common.

<i>Big Ears Small Mouse</i>: It's a small-critter RPG, suitable to Rescue Rangers or the Chronicles of Nimh (and maybe Redwall, with the help of BESM Fantasy). I haven't been able to read it yet. Based on BESM.

<i>Fuzz: The Furry Police RPG</i>: Think Miami Vice or Knight Rider, but that vixenish foil this week might <i>literally</i> be a vixen. It's for Action! and Tri-Stat, but I have high hopes anyways.

<i>GURPS Furry</i>: This book keeps appearing and disappearing on the SJG radar. It's the Mechanoids Space of the GURPS system.

<i>It's a Dog's Life</i>: Mentioned later down in this thread.

<i>Kevin and Kell</i>: Not released yet, based on the webcomic of the same name. Based on the Heartquest system.

<i>Redwall</i>: This is only a rumor I've heard.

<i>Skyrealms of Journe</i>: I don't know much about this game, other than that it uses uplifted animals.

<i>Terra Primate</i>: I think the name says it all.

<i>Witchcraft</i>: Mentioned later in this thread. (I don't remember reading about them, but with all the crazy stuff Witchcraft has, who knows?)

<i>Woof Meow</i>: You play dogs and cats. Ordinary neighborhood dogs and cats, with special powers, but otherwise ordinary pets. I think it's more of a satire than anything else.

<i>World Tree</i>: I know it was written by a fur, but haven't heard much good of it besides that.

(Edited a third time to add JAGS to the list.)

Last edited:

xenongames

Roleplayer
Validated User
Godfather Punk said:
No love for Star Wars? Chewbakka? :(
Wookies and Ewoks are not furries.

Ursula Vernon says it best: "Whenever I attempt to explain the whole furry thing to people--after I groan and hold my head and say "No, no, really, it's not, good lord, NO!"--I wind up using the phrase "I like animal people. Animal people look cool. I like drawing them. But I don't, like, think I have the soul of a wombat or anything." (http://www.metalandmagic.com/Pages/Galleries/Wombats/wombat.html)

In my book, to qualify as a furry, it must be "animal people." The line often gets blurred (especially with animal-like people) but just because it has fur, does not mean it's a furry.

Godfather Punk

Oh dear, how sad, nevermind
Validated User
I stand corrected :p

What about the Bast in WitchCraft? Grey Runners in SpellSlinger? Apes in Tera Primate?

Cheers,

Last edited:

Inamoena Tempora

Cheshire Cat
Don't forget Blue Planet, either, with it's Cat-Hybrids, Silva Gorilla-Hybrids, Hybrid Mongrels and Uplifted Cetaceans.

Though I agree, the latter probably aren't that furry...

-I.T.

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Wait, there is a Samurai Pizza Cats RPG? I want, nay, need to know details! I don't care if it's crappier than Cyborg Commando, I must have it!

RedFox

Valerie Vixen
Validated User
I think your definition of "furry RPG" is too all-encompassing. MOST games have furry elements in them. You might as well throw in Cyberpunk 2020 for the fashion furry mods in Chromebook 2.

But obviously your whole post is worthless anyway, if you only gave Usagi Yojimbo 4 paws. :p

Cessna

Gritty AF
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
RedFox said:
But obviously your whole post is worthless anyway, if you only gave Usagi Yojimbo 4 paws. :p

Agreed. I am NOT a furry fan, but that was/is an outstanding game.

ESkemp

Validated User
Almafeta said:
Because I'm bored, a list of every 'furry' RPG I can think of, rated from five-paws (very furry) to one-paw (has a couple of furry elements).

<b>Five Paws</b>

<i>Werewolf: The Apocalypse</i>
God damn it.

Top Bottom