• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Fyre Festival LARP on Detroit's Belle Isle

Matt-M-McElroy

What Are You Afraid Of?
Validated User
https://www.metrotimes.com/the-scene/archives/2019/01/29/yes-a-fyre-festival-larp-on-detroits-belle-isle-is-apparently-really-going-to-happen

An idea that originated as an insomnia-fueled joke at 2 a.m. has, in less than a week, sparked interest in thousands of people from all over the country.

No, we're not talking about Fyre Festival, the ill-fated music fest that is the subject of two dueling documentaries recently released on Netflix and Hulu.

We're talking about a Fyre Fest LARP — that's "Live Action Role Playing" for the novice — planned for Detroit's own island getaway, Belle Isle.

"I meant it to be a joke, to be honest, and now it’s going to happen because people seem really seem into it," says Michelle Birawer of Harsh Tokes Booking. "It’s becoming its own thing without me releasing any information. It's becoming a social experiment, but a positive one!"
This is fascinating to me on so many levels. I knew a lot of memes, joke t-shirts, etc. would happen after the documentaries, but I honestly never predicted a LARP. I should have, but nope.

Details are pretty thin on what folks are actually going to do in the LARP (as well as where they will be staying...).

M

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
I thought the Fyre festival would work as a Fiasco playset, or the start of a horror adventure, but yeah. And details being thin is appropriate to the subject matter!

Tumbleweed

Supporting Cast!
Validated User
The irony of course being that this event will likely be better organized and supported than the actual Fyre festival.

Will probably get better press, too.

Matt-M-McElroy

What Are You Afraid Of?
Validated User
As I understand it the city has disallowed the use of the island.
So, without telling anyone, they will just move to a different island. One that doesn’t have any facilities or enough room. Very on target for the theme.

M

Top Bottom