Game Designers' Resource Thread

MoonHunter

Game Guru-Thread Shepherd
RPGnet Member
Validated User
This one is going to be useful. It is about crowd sourced funding, with games in mind.

Crowd-Sourcing Wisdom on Crowd-Funding

Kickstarter is fucking hard to get right if you are not already a relatively big/famous name/company with a relatively big/famous IP. There's no way to become famous over night (it's easier to become infamous pretty much instantly, but that's much less desirable). There's a big famous IP that's public domain and thus free for anyone to use (CTHULHURIFFOMANIA!) and then there are fads that it seems like will always be popular and outperform their peers in crowdfunding (zombies, *World games, anything cute and sparkly meets anything dark and scary, etcetera). Other than that, though, it's largely the guesswork of....

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
This is over in TRO.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.ph...Editions-that-Have-You-Asking-quot-Why-!-quot

We've all seen them: gaming supplements - or even entire game lines - that have you scratching your head, wondering "what was the developer thinking?" This is a thread to discuss our "favorites".

This thread was inspired by Start with Why. The book's focus is on why some businesses, movements, and ventures succeed where others fail. The principles apply well to tabletop game design theory (and personal development, if that's your thing)
The OP is right. This discussion could be an eye opener for some game developers. It may not go long, but if the game developer people kick in... I think this could be a very interesting thread.

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There are times I miss this thread and the other design and professional being in the same sub section.

I almost missed this one

InDesign by Adobe is a desktop publishing software application produced by Adobe Systems. It can be used to create works such as posters, flyers, books and ebooks. It is used by a number of "pro" game companies. It might be useful for you.

This thread is about tutorials.

Remember, designing and writing the game is half the battle. You have to be able to communicate it to others. A good layout is key, especially if you are going commercial with the project.

Last edited:

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User

MoonHunter

RPGnet Member
Validated User
A challenging point of view.

https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?732301-Advantages-to-NOT-having-a-unified-mechanic

So the more I work through the various aspects of my game the less advantage I see in sticking with the same mechanic for all of them. My base mechanic works great for combat and similar physical and sensory opposed contests. Though it becomes somewhat lackluster in the later (say, stealth vs perception). I'm not far enough along in testing magic yet to say how I like it there. And I am most likely disposing of it altogether for social encounters.

My question, I suppose, isn't about my own system so much as using multiple and varied mechanics in a single game in general. I mean, it has been done. Arguably done successfully even (though not in all cases). But it does seem to get a lot of flak as an idea in general.

Top Bottom