Game Mechanics Testing (Volunteers needed)

JerelLightning

Validated User
I’m a newbie that’s currently working on my own tabletop rpg. I’d like any volunteers to help me figure out my game mechanics with me. Since I’m a newbie advice other than what’s on topic is greatly appreciated, but should be kept at a minimum.

The setting for it is a Sci fi Space rpg, where terrans and hequns are in diplomatic conflict over territory.

The mechanic that I’ll be focusing on is my combat mechanic.

I’d like at least one person for a start, but more people will be nice later.

Thank you.

🔴 Warning - Read the Conduct sticky here
Let's see...

There are 3 big parts to making your own RPG:

* Designing a set of game mechanics
* building a word/setting
* making sure both parts do interlock nicely and allow you to tell the kind of stories you want to tell

So far you established for us a basic line to start from. We got SciFi, we got humans (Terrans) and some... sort of alien they fight.

Worldbuilding prompts I can throw at you from just that line are these: What do Hequns look like? Where did they evolve from? What kind of weapons do they use? What makes them different from humans? Do they speak a common language or has there never been diplomatic contact but only war? How long does the conflict last already? Are they superior or on equal with the humans? Why do they fight over territory? Space is VAST - are habitable planets such rare? Do they want specific resources only present on these conflict worlds? Are these planets strategically important in some way? Do they have FTL, if yes what kind?

In any case, I strongly suggest trying to get a hold of some version of GURPS Space. Read it, ignore all the rule parts and just focus on the information how they build worlds.

JerelLightning

Validated User
Let's see...

* making sure both parts do interlock nicely and allow you to tell the kind of stories you want to tell

So far you established for us a basic line to start from. We got SciFi, we got humans (Terrans) and some... sort of alien they fight.

Worldbuilding prompts I can throw at you from just that line are these: What do Hequns look like? Where did they evolve from? What kind of weapons do they use? What makes them different from humans? Do they speak a common language or has there never been diplomatic contact but only war? How long does the conflict last already? Are they superior or on equal with the humans? Why do they fight over territory? Space is VAST - are habitable planets such rare? Do they want specific resources only present on these conflict worlds? Are these planets strategically important in some way? Do they have FTL, if yes what kind?

In any case, I strongly suggest trying to get a hold of some version of GURPS Space. Read it, ignore all the rule parts and just focus on the information how they build worlds.
@Linefer I don’t want to focus on that right now. I’ve somewhat already figured that out on my own. I’m wanting to figure out if my mechanics work or not

JerelLightning

Validated User
Let's see...

Also, could you please read the guidelines for this thread? Sorry it’s just that your not exactly following it, and that’s what I want

Bigdy McKen

Validated User
Also, could you please read the guidelines for this thread? Sorry it’s just that your not exactly following it, and that’s what I want
The reason he asks those questions OP, is a lot of that information will inform your combat mechanics.

Also, you haven't given much in terms of what you're looking for. Do you want combat to be flashy and cinematic, or detailed and gritty? Do you want Lensman or Forever War? What did you have in mind for a basic resolution mechanic? Is there an existing table top game you want to emulate?

Tanka

We See You
Staff member
Validated User

Moderator Text:

Do not tell other users how to post. If you believe a post breaks the rules, use the Report function.

JerelLightning

Validated User
The reason he asks those questions OP, is a lot of that information will inform your combat mechanics.

Also, you haven't given much in terms of what you're looking for. Do you want combat to be flashy and cinematic, or detailed and gritty? Do you want Lensman or Forever War? What did you have in mind for a basic resolution mechanic? Is there an existing table top game you want to emulate?
This is just the “invitation” post. It has a short explanation. The real post will have everything

JerelLightning

Validated User
Let's see...

This post is meant to be short and sweet to get volunteers. I’ll have another post later which will explain all the related information from my post. I have to get enough volunteers first to even do that though

@Linefer I don’t want to focus on that right now. I’ve somewhat already figured that out on my own. I’m wanting to figure out if my mechanics work or not
I’m posting this here since I’m a newbie (idk).

But this is the plot that I have for my Sci Fi rpg.

Terrans (Humans) are in diplomatic conflict with Hequns (the second alien race that humans discovered) over territory.

That’s pretty much all I’ve got. I’m not sure if it’s enough to go on if I wanted to make it up as I go along playing the game.

I’d need more substance to it (obviously). I want my plot to be intriguing and filled with twists (proper twists) so that my group can be properly entertained by it and be engaged in it.

I’d like advice on what to do with my story, as well as ideas for it, and possible actual writing of the plot (a little bit though).
So you say.

There is a huge difference between different combat systems. For example, you could try to model 40K Style massive battles where the smallest gun destroys whole ships in seconds. Or you might try tomorrow people fighting each other with clubs. It is usually a good idea to let the setting decide what kind of Combat you want. very dark and gritty combat just doesn't fit a nice federation setting. Throwing nukes at each other fürs a dark future but not a very heroic game. On the other hand, using non-lethal weapons isn't really the style of an evil Empire or a species that is at the brink of collapse and just wants to stay there (unless they are pacifists).

It is very hard to guess how you want to so combat without knowing what you'd want to model. Think about it like buying a car: you told us you want a car that runs and it should be green. Do you want a pickup? Or a Van? Or a Dragster? Fast or economic?

We need something to work with for example how deadly is combat in your game? How devastating are the weapons? How good is armor? Is it possible to target specific body parts order the whole body just have one health tracker? do people die after one hit or do you need to turn them literally into Pulp? How big should the influence of luck be?

You seem to have some idea but I have the feeling that you don't sell it to us at this moment. It would really help to find volunteers that would want to invest time into your project if you would give them more than a general idea what you want to do achieve. What kind of stories do you want to tell and please don't tell me that is in another thread: you opened pretty much the same thread three times was exactly the same wording. What kind of volunteers do you need? do you need an expert in statistics do, do you need to help with designing your world, do you need an editor or sanity Proof?

You might not know the answer to all these questions, you might not want to answer questions, but you give us little to engage with, little to make your project more interesting than other projects. The synopsis you gave us is no different than hundreds of other quite a generic book and game ideas. What if in your idea special about your game, why should we play your game and not any other generic sci-fi RPG? That is the question you have to have an answer to gain some volunteers that will have you through the more gritty parts of actually designing your game.

Sage Genesis

Two
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You said the two species are in diplomatic conflict. Does that mean that the combat rules are about social conflict? Or are they rules for physical, deadly combat with guns and such? If diplomatic relations are important, are there rules for hiding evidence of your identity? Deniability and all that?

I might be interested but I really would need some more details before I can decide that.

Edit: what Linnefer said I guess.

Top Bottom