• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Game NPCs

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Eric Christian Berg at 2005-12-27 08:05:08
Converted from Phorums BB System

While NPCs presented in a game setting are, generally, not particularly compelling, there are exceptions. The main one that occurs to me is Unknown Armies. I /love/ the NPCs in Unknown Armies. It is one of my favorite things about the game. It is the only game where I make regular use of the published NPCs. Part of it is that they don't feel like either afterthoughts or "pet characters" of the writers. They feel like well-fleshed-out parts of the setting. Not there to do things instead of the PCs or just to act as boring examples but an integral part of the world that the PCs can enjoy interacting with.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by Jerry D. Grayson at 2005-12-29 17:15:14

I agree that some games do have good NPCs but I agree that most of the time NPCs are either fodder to be looted by the Pcs or super NPCs to be watched by the players. White wolf had a lot of examples of this in their game metaplot. I’m even guilty of throwing a character in a game not because they are interesting and in-depth but because my wife played the character in the game I ran.

R

RPGnet Columns

Post originally by tetsujin28 at 2005-12-29 23:56:32

Game NPCs can go to hell. I really don't care about them or their problems. Let's get the players' characters. You know. The ones actually _playing_ the game.

Top Bottom