• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Games that MUST be bought

~BA

Le San Graal
I was wandering through my local gaming store and wondering what I should spend my $70 on.

There was a depressingly small number of options (and not because of a lack of stock). The problem lay in the fact that I didn't want to spend money on just anything, and at the same time, I didn't know what something.

So, I resolved (after buying a cheap WW book) to come onto RPG.net and ask the assembled masses what are 5 RPGs that I should not miss out on.

~BA

Balbinus

Repairer of Reputations
Quick questions,

What genres do you like best? What do you already own that you really enjoy? Also, is there anything you bought in the past which just so did not work for you?

~BA

Le San Graal
I guess DnD3e didn't do it for me, but that didn't stop me from buying most of the Forgotten Realms stuff.

I'm talking about the classics, or things that should soon be classics. Things like OtE, Unseen Armies, Ars Magica, Call of Cthulhu, BESM, Kult, HOL, etc.

~BA

I'll just make one suggestion.

Trinity: Very good and its core book is dirt cheap (15$US). It's not hard sci-fi (psi exists) but all the tech seems to be (hardtech and biotech).

I originally bought the core book for the different psi powers, so I can run a one-shot for my wife and I liked it so much I bought the company... Actually, I just bought the whole line of books.

Their world-books are also splat books, which is neat. These books don't just cover a city, they cover a continent (or world). And Trinity's adventure sourcebooks are so well done that they deserve an award*.

The basic setting is so diverse as to be able to cover many different sub-genres (all would be sci-fi plus...): cyberpunk, 1984, Brave New World (this one takes some modification), horror, adventurers-explorers, alien war, spies, action, space-opera, and crime-drama.

* I've never seen adventure sourcebooks that gave the GM so much information yet allowed him so much freedom and choice (which also trickles down to the player level if the GM has any skill at all). Also, as everyone knows, Trinity has a meta-plot but these sourcebooks allow your players to be part of that. I.e. when the events in the adventure books are mentioned in other sourcebooks, proper nouns aren't used.

So, it's not the canon characters that go around doing all the neat stuff - it's your players' characters.

B

Brand_of_Amber

~BA said:
I'm talking about the classics, or things that should soon be classics. Things like OtE, Unseen Armies, Ars Magica, Call of Cthulhu, BESM, Kult, HOL, etc.
I think you've answered your own question here.... To your above list I'd add Tribe 8, Trinity, Pendragon, and Fading Suns. I would then put them in this order:

Pendragon
Cthulhu
Tribe 8
Unknown Armies
Over the Edge
Ars Magica
Fading Suns
Big Eyes Small Mouth
Kult

That would more than wipe out your 70 bucks, but any of those games would leave you with a richer gaming library. (And all of those games, BTW, are pretty complete with just the main book.)

Tim Gray

Midi-thewed
Validated User
Brand_of_Amber said:
(And all of those games, BTW, are pretty complete with just the main book.)
Maybe, but for the Tribe 8 setting the 'Vimary' supplement really adds a lot. There are many areas seen on the maps in the main book which only get explained in 'Vimary'.

Brand_Robins

Retired User
Tim Gray said:
Maybe, but for the Tribe 8 setting the 'Vimary' supplement really adds a lot. There are many areas seen on the maps in the main book which only get explained in 'Vimary'.
True, true. Vimary is a kick ass book. Of course, Adrift on the River of Dream is also very useful (plug, plug, plug), as Synthesis is one of the harder aspects of the game to get used to.

All that said, however, neither book is really necessary to run the game. They've got great information, but I know several people who run the game sans either.

Vic

Angry...so ANGRY!
I'd say CoC, it's a classic for a reason, when I bought it "just to own" I desperately wanted to actually play it!

BESM, if you want ass-simple rules and plenty of them to handle a lot of genres then knock yourself out.

Trinity is cheap, but the game improves with more of the dwindling suppliments- the Players Guide is a must since it improves the Psi power rules.

Tribe 8 is very, very good, IMHO it's also a good read, but it also is improved by the more suppliments you buy.

Seroster

Miw!
Validated User
Brief and to the point:

Feng Shui

I think it's still the best game for cinematic-style action (over and above other games like 7th Sea which go for semi-cinematic swashbuckling action)

Top Bottom