Games that MUST be bought

Lesack

I like pie.
Validated User
Well, if you're looking for things currently in print (or at least recent enought to still be in a local store) . . .

Call of Cthulhu
Heavy Gear
Blue Planet (v2)
BESM
RISUS (Free! Whee! Technically not it the store. . .)

These aren't in any particular order.

Paul

Pendragon? Hard to find?

Green Knight Publishing now Publishes all the Pendragon material. You can buy it on line. There are copies of it at my hobby stores.

Someone above mentioned it's hard to find. But unless I'm mistaken, it isn't. (And I might be.)

---

Long time Pendragon fan, just tyring to push the good stuff.

John Buckmaster

Civilian
Validated User
Looking over my collection, here's the ones I couldn't give up. Keep in mind I do demo for 2 of the companies, so I am probably biased.

Call of Cthulhu: Get it! Period. Even if you don't ever play it, the books and supplements are chock full of useful information. They've even won awards from Universities for the accuracy of their info.

RuneQuest 3rd: Hard to find now, but you can still get it at original cost if you know where to look. If CoC references it as a 'useful source' It has to be good.

Stormbringer 5th: One of the best dark fantasy games out there.

Heavy Gear: Layout, presentation, elegance, and a beautiful storyline layout. everything a game line should be.

Tribe 8: Everyone else has pretty much said everything I could.

Jovian Chronicles: The usefulness of this RPG is amazing. Just about everything can be applied to another RPG.

Hero Wars: The flexibility and usefulness fo the system blows my mind, in the good way. The organiztion and presentation blows my mind in a REAL BAD way. The world of Glorantha also rocks! Wait for the 2nd Ed. or you'll hurt your head.

Pendragon: See everyon els's rants.

Trinity: A functional version of the Storyteller system, cool layout and a beautiful setting. And you can't go wrong for $15 US

Many of the Web RPG's: Take some time and download. even if you don't like them, your RPG experience will be better for it.

I know this is over $70. just pick the ones that interest you the most.

Hope this helps,
-John

~BA

Le San Graal
Thanks Muchly

I own quite a few of those mentioned (Tribe 8, Fading Suns, a lot of WoD stuff, Trinity, Pendragon, AFMBE etc).

I'll make it a goal to get Call of Cthulhu, Little Fears and Feng Shui. I'll even take a look at Blue Planet...

Any other suggestions?

~BA

Raist

Retired User
Well, I've yet to see a game that I didn't want to buy, at least to try out. However, at this point the gaming industry is going through alot, and much of the older material such as ADnD, alot of the FASA stuff, and old superhero games are slowly fading out. I'd pick up as much of that stuff as I could, because if you don't, you'll regret it later.

Next, to suggest a few things, I'll just list what's on my bookshelf right now.

Nightbane- A really cool game, without the powergaming of Rifts that many people complain about. It's a dark heroes game where the bad and the good balance out fairly well.

VtM: I've got alot of the 2nd edition stuff. I personally haven't cared much for the later stuff, and don't actively purchase most of what is put on the shelf, but the older stuff is good. I think 2e is what got alot of WW's following started. I've also got Werewolf, but haven't really had a chance to play/run a game yet.

All three editions of Mechwarrior, and a few of the supplements. I love the game. It's got strategy, politics, some mysticism, and a million opportunities to roleplay. This is one of my favorite games, and I'm addicted in a way that will probably send me through a 12 step program sooner or later. If nothing else, the Battletech battle game is fun for passing away an hour or two.

ADnD through D3D. Dungeons and Dragons is just groovy. But it isn't like you're a muggle about gaming, so I digress.

There's a few more suplements and mags floating arround on that shelf too, but nothing I've really gotten into. I downloaded FUDGE, and printed it out in a pretty binder, but have never used it, or had the time to read it. Besides, it's free, so it doesn't help you spend your $$$$.

Pariahic

The God Damned Batclown
Validated User
All three editions of Mechwarrior, and a few of the supplements. I love the game. It's got strategy, politics, some mysticism, and a million opportunities to roleplay. This is one of my favorite games, and I'm addicted in a way that will probably send me through a 12 step program sooner or later. If nothing else, the Battletech battle game is fun for passing away an hour or two.
If it make your decision on what game to buy any easier,
I have conversion from Mechwarrior to BESM that's nearly
completed. ;)

Top Bottom