• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Games We've Beaten 2019

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
I beat Kirby Star Allies earlier this week. It was fun, though the action could get pretty cluttered.

StreetBushido

Validated User
Finished up Thimbleweed Park today.

As far as I can tell the game has met with critical acclaim.

I'm not seeing it.

The puzzles were far too often running on moon-logic. Sometimes you'd have to use several different characters that had no way of communicating with each other to solve things. It reminded me of the second (and really quite bad) half of Broken Age where you were solving puzzles with one character but the hints for those puzzles were only available for the other character. Meaning that without you, the player, those puzzles will never have been solved.

Not a fan of that kind of stuff unless we, the player, are somehow explicitly a part of the proceedings somehow.

The game's story was just far too weird for my tastes. Furthermore, I felt as if it was trying too hard to be clever but not really pulling it off. Growing up I was a Sierra kid and missed all of the Lucasarts adventure games, so maybe my nostalgia was not tuned to the channel on which Thimbleweed Park was broadcasting.

And finally while the pixel art and animation was nice I'm not a fan of the "big head" look they were going for.

Once I discovered how to skip dialogue and could focus on the puzzle solving I felt that the pacing improved. However, there's a huge amount of backtracking involved that I often felt was quite dull.

At times there were parts of the game that shone brightly. But overall I can't say I recommend it.

Play Unavowed instead.

Tyrmatfrage

Validated User
Finished Rise of the Tomb Raider. I loved this game a lot, I absolutely adored all the exploration/puzzle/crafting elements; which thankfully were emphasized a lot more than the combat, which IMO there was too much of in the first Tomb Raider reboot.

I got the 20 Year Celebration Pack with all the DLCs included so there was a lot of bonus content. The Baba Yaga quest was folded seamlessly into the campaign and was a great addition, especially the Baba Yaga outfit I unlocked after completing it. There were some combat-focused "expeditions" that I noped out of after 10 minutes because I realized, nah, pure combat isn't why I play this game for (the combat in the main game is fine, but IMO it's good that there isn't too much of it and it isn't the focus of the game). The "Blood Ties" story, which takes place entirely in the Croft Mansion, was surprisingly meaty and served as a good epilogue to the main story - I liked it a lot.

I had a blast with this game and it will probably end up becoming my personal Game of the Year for 2019.

Chaomancer

CotTS High Magician
Validated User
I've just finished my first game of Imperator: Rome. As Egypt, I set myself some challenges and met them (every wonder of the world, for example, though it's bugged and didn't get me the achievement). Then realised that in the couple of decades left on the clock I might be able to reunite Alexander's Empire, and managed it with I think four years to spare. The resulting map was messy, as my conquests East were basically a thin line to the last three cities I needed for the achievement... but I got there.

Fun game, if a bit bare compared to CK2. Hopefully it'll grow into something great!

Cenobite

Whiteside Pawn 909
Validated User
Yesterday I finished a Doom 1 megawad called Doom the Way id Did. Its a total replacement for the original 3 episodes of Doom, done intentionally aping the styles of John Romero, Tom Hall, and Sandy Peterson. It was amazingly good and quite difficult at times.

I'm trying to decide in my head if this counts as beating a Doom game, as there is also a separate replacement for Episode 4. I tried just the beginning of it a little while ago and I think its an even bigger jump in difficulty then Thy Flesh Consumed was.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
Yesterday I finished a Doom 1 megawad called Doom the Way id Did. Its a total replacement for the original 3 episodes of Doom, done intentionally aping the styles of John Romero, Tom Hall, and Sandy Peterson. It was amazingly good and quite difficult at times.
There's also another Doom 1 megawad built to that concept called Wonderful Doom which is equally worth playing.

WightMutt

The Doge One
Validated User
Played through God Eater:Resurrection took me about 120 hours to do so. Overall quite enjoyed it and have dived into GE2:Rage Burst.

My only real complaints were how poor the AI could be at blocking in some fights, the final boss being a good example.

And that it was far too fond of dumping multiple Aragami in a small area with little way of splitting they'll up. Still plenty off game time for £15.

Karanov

GAIA subsystem
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It is done. It took me half a year but I've finished all "modern" (from the previous console generation onward) Tales of... games published in the west on non-portable consoles. That's five JRPGs, hundreds of hours of playing. And no, I didn't 100% any of them. I'm crazy but not THAT crazy.

All in all Tales of Berseria is still my favorite with Tales of Vesperia and Tales of Xillia close behind (with Vesperia edging out Xillia by a small margin). I enjoyed Tales of Xillia 2 a lot, but not quite as much as those other titles. Tales of Zestiria was the only dud of the bunch. The combat system wasn't a whole lot of fun, the story had some interesting ideas but wasn't executed that well and the Sorey is without a doubt my least favorite of the main protagonists.

I still have Tales of Hearts R on the PS-Vita to go (if only to ensure my PS-Vita wasn't just for Persona 4 Golden) but that's a portable game so that's my excuse for not jumping in right now. As luck would have it the next Tales game, Tales of Arise, has been announced at E3 this weekend. So I'm looking forward to that one.

I'm apparently not done with JRPGs yet because I started a new playthrough of Ni-no-Kuni, with the goal of actually finishing this time. Which will probably also serve as my unofficial retirement party of my PS3.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
I have beaten Watch Dogs 2 - I wish I'd played it sooner now... and also this ending actually makes me a less interested in the procedural character/perma-death oriented gameplay of Watch Dogs Legion.

Last edited:

StreetBushido

Validated User
This weekend I finished up The Council.

It's an odd duck of a game. It's basically five different game ideas all mashed into one. The voice acting is good and the pacing kept me hooked until the end. The story itself is kinda messy, though, and the stiff animations do detract from the overall experience, as well as the backtracking.

All in all an interesting experience, but it's not exactly a diamond in the rough. Still, if you're into Telltale-style decision based, narrative games then I recommend picking this one up when it goes on sale.

Top Bottom