• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Games with female-character themes actually written by women?

hyphz

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Best Friends was a game I wish I'd put on the list (which wasn't supposed to be specifically magical girl games). It seems a bit wrong for a game written by a man to make statements like "since you're all girls you all hate each other..."

mrlost

Hi I'm Lost
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Because I live under a rock and my google-fu is weak tonight, which games did Miss Atomic Bomb write? Genuinely curious.
Didn’t she write a bunch of the Vampire the Masquerade and Vampire the Requiem books, as well as a ton of other White Wolf stuff. She also has some games on Patreon, including a She Ra inspired rpg that I think I bought. I’m totally spacing on her name so someone more knowledgable please chime in

DarkMoc

Validated User
Didn’t she write a bunch of the Vampire the Masquerade and Vampire the Requiem books, as well as a ton of other White Wolf stuff. She also has some games on Patreon, including a She Ra inspired rpg that I think I bought. I’m totally spacing on her name so someone more knowledgable please chime in
Her blog (linked to in her profile) is by Rose Bailey. An author search for that name on the main RPG.net page turns up Beast, Blood and Smoke, Mortal Remains, and Katanas and Trenchcoats. All of those are after I stopped collecting WW/OP, so I don't know who did what on which product.

Brightfires

Dances with a Death Mage
Validated User
I'll mention Good Society...

It was written by women, and while the characters aren't in any way limited to a particular gender, it's based pretty strongly on Jane Austin's work, and she did focus primarily on her female characters. The game can easily be played in the same style.

Amberpup

Validated User
Best Friends was a game I wish I'd put on the list (which wasn't supposed to be specifically magical girl games). It seems a bit wrong for a game written by a man to make statements like "since you're all girls you all hate each other..."
But you don't "Hate" all the girls, and its more a jealous hate of something one of your friends is better at (so more personal insecurity on your part then anything else). But you also "Like" something about another one of your friends, and sing their praises when talking about it. The one time I every played it, we were magic girls at our local junior high school, and our "likes" and "hates" between us (if possible, no player has more then one like or hate) was the fuel that kept the game going.

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Other than Night Witches, those aren't female character themes. Those are specifically young girl character themes.

Generally speaking, female game designers don't write games that require you to play female characters or focus on idealized school girl drama. The first is partially because women get a lot more backlash for that than men, and the second is maybe because a lot of women don't really have an idealized memory of middle school and/or would prefer to focus on themes more relevant to us as grown women.

Because I live under a rock and my google-fu is weak tonight, which games did Miss Atomic Bomb write? Genuinely curious.
She's Rose Bailey. She worked on most of New World of Darkness / Chronicles of Darkness starting maybe about halfway into the first edition, wrote some Classic World of Darkness stuff, writes a bunch of awesome indie games like Miserable Secrets, worked on some MMOs and video games, and literally wrote the book on how to write vampires (she published a version of her writer's guide for vampire products in the Storyteller's Vault). One of her games, Princess of the Universe, has a generically female name, but isn't specifically limited to female characters and it's also explicitly "queered up action figure fantasy."

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Validated User
All the Cthulhu Confidential adventures.
Character — Vivian Sinclair, Lady Detective
Author — Ruth Tillman

StevenC

Validated User
Depends on what you call a "female character theme." I'm a woman, and I write games from my perspective... but only one of them says "Princess" on the cover.
I don't own any RPGs with Princess on the cover, but I pledge to purchase on if you write it! Just sayin' I've really enjoyed some recent projects of yours.

BethDragon

nominally Good Person
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rose's Patreon
Rose has done lots of work with Onyx Path (I love love love Demon the Unchained and Changeling the Lost!!!) And there's Cavaliers of Mars, too!

And there's the upcoming adorable
Dangerous to Go Alone, a game of 8-bit feels on a distant leaf of the world tree
And from her Patreon page:
Biggest Projects:
Miserable Secrets, gothic fantasy with tactical investigation, is a 200-page, full-color blowout, and my most ambitious Patreon game to date! (Available in print and PDF!)​
Beautiful Anomalies, is a one-year anniversary, 100-page extravaganza about trust, religion, and time travel. (Available in print and PDF!)​
Others:
It's getting to be a big list! Check it out:​
  • America the Bulletproof, the game of ridiculous crimes and lifesaving friendship.
  • BLAZON, cosmic superheroes in a universe of Law and Chaos, inspired by Green Lantern and new wave fantasy.
  • Bright & Terrible, a game of swords and tragedy in the style of Michael Moorcock's Elric and Tanith Lee's Flat Earth.
  • Die For You, the game of monsters and feels, inspired by paranormal drama in general and the web series Carmilla in particular. (Released as a free sample.)
  • One Weird Trick to Be a Hero, a game about heroic adventure in the gig economy and solving your problems in ridiculous ways.
  • On Nobody's Side, a game of queer spies in the 60s... first burned, then brought back in with a License to Live!
  • Princess of the Universe, queered up action figure fantasy.
  • The Shadow of Golgotha, a post-apocalyptic feudal world ruled by a blood-drinking aristocracy. (Released to patrons.)
  • Sharded, fantasy noir where death is not the end. (Released to patrons.)
  • State Machine, android espionage inspired by Blade Runner and Ghost in the Shell. (Released to patrons.)
  • Time and Fate, a resource pack for Fate Accelerated Edition, with character sheets, scenario worksheets, and plot twist cards to help you quickly build and run adventures in the style of Doctor Who and Sapphire and Steel. (Released to patrons.)
I agree with Zeea's paragraph about female game designers.

I've found that Demon works rather well with having PCs (and NPCs) of all different types of gender, background, sexuality, race, etc etc etc simply because the pacts that you can create can be...anything that you can get someone to agree to sell to you. And for a Demon, you can be female in one Cover, male in another Cover, while your 'inner Demon self' considers itself agender. Or maybe your Demon self is female and all of your Covers are female. Or any sort of mix and match depending on how your PC sees things.

Top Bottom