• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Games with good Car Chase/Combat systems

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
Been playing the recent Mad Max video game and it's made me jones for something in a tabletop RPG that replicates things like that. High-speed Car chases and options for car combat. I'm not really interested in the rest of the game, just the Car Mechanics.

So far the ones I'm aware of are Gumshoe and Atomic Highway. I know GURPS has a system but that's way too crunchy for me.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The classic James Bond 007 has the gold-standard in car chase rules.

I also like the chase flowcharts from TSR's The Adventures of Indiana Jones.

Tensen01

Go, Play; For Justice!
Validated User
Spycraft 1st Edition, it's chase system is the highlight of the game. It also works for not races across roof tops if that's a thing for you.
I completely forgot abotu Spycraft, possibly because my Wheelman never actually got into a car chase.

The classic James Bond 007 has the gold-standard in car chase rules.

I also like the chase flowcharts from TSR's The Adventures of Indiana Jones.
I have James Bond in a box set, I'll hafta give it a look. Never would have thought of Indiana Jones either, since the rest of the game looks so not good.

Craig Oxbrow

Ah, y'know. This guy.
Validated User
Top Secret / S.I. had a nice chase system too, IIRC related to the Indiana Jones one - spy games in general tend to feature chase systems.

J.J.

Arduin Survivor
Validated User
Spycraft (1st) had some of the best chase stuff out there, imo. Covert Ops, iirc, has an interesting abstract map sort of thing where you move from zone to zone and creating a lead of X zones = escape.

I'm always interested in good chase rules (especially if they can handle multiple participants) with a particular interest in race rules. For a while I was toying with something that could be used in Fate, with a stress track ("the race track" *insert groan*) where the participants apply their skill +/- modifiers for their vehicle to the difficulty of the various sections of the track. Passing is a contested roll. Combat would be handled by proximity on the track if necessary. Multiple "laps" would simply be resetting your stress track when you get to the end.

GM Joe

GMing Since 1982
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Top Secret / S.I. had a nice chase system too, IIRC related to the Indiana Jones one - spy games in general tend to feature chase systems.
Yup; definitely derived from Indiana Jones. It was a nice idea that worked well for some types of games, IMO.

Top Bottom