Gaming Shops in Amsterdam?

Spirit_Crusher

Validated User
I'll be in Amsterdam the 28th and 29th of this month to meet some realatives.
Does anybody know any good gaming shops there?

Edit: Amsterdam in Holland I mean.

Last edited:

Carl Stanford

Carnage Amongst the Web
Validated User
There is the American Book Store at the Spui.

And there is the gaming store Game Keeper in the Hartenstraat. But that one is mainly traditional board and card games with some roleplaying games.

The Games Workshop store is located at the Rokin.

Utrecht has more and better gaming shops.

akfu23

Retired User
Don't be too quick to write off the Gamekeeper unless it's too far away. It happened to be around the corner from my hotel on my trip to Amsterdam a few years ago so I popped in and was very impressed. Friendly staff & pretty decent (english) rpg section.

taubenschlag

Validated User
Don't be too quick to write off the Gamekeeper unless it's too far away. It happened to be around the corner from my hotel on my trip to Amsterdam a few years ago so I popped in and was very impressed. Friendly staff & pretty decent (english) rpg section.
I was in this shop this year and you are right, they are indeed friendly guys. But unfortunatly they don' t sell rpgs. They said this was because of the rise of internet shops. It doesn' t paid off for them anymore to sell them

So, the only (!) shop left for roleplaying games is the American Bookshop. But they only have the major game lines like D&D 4th and no miniature games. In fact they are foremost a bookshop, with a good comic and fantasy and science fiction book range Unfourtunatley, they reduced their gaming collection a few years ago. And there aren't cheap. If you have an valid student card you' ll get a 10% off the price.

For miniature games there is as far as I know only a games workshop store.

Have fun
taubenschlag

akfu23

Retired User
I was in this shop this year and you are right, they are indeed friendly guys. But unfortunatly they don' t sell rpgs. They said this was because of the rise of internet shops. It doesn' t paid off for them anymore to sell them
How unfortunate, Amazon strikes again I guess. My trip was back in 2003 and I guess a lot can change in 6 years...

johanngottliebfichte

Never a tank
Validated User
Thought I'd necro this thread as off to Amsterdam on Sunday for a few days for a conference.

Further to above, any shops or rpg clubs people can recommend?

Spirit_Crusher

Validated User
Like it is mentioned above, the American Book Centre (2nd floor) has the best collection of roleplaying stuff:
http://www.abc.nl/

It is right in the centre of Amsterdam.
Been there. There was quite a bit of D&D 4.0, some whitwolf stuff (Requiem and Awakening mainly) and some Dark Heresy stuff, and that's it. But they had a nice comic selection and a big fantasy\scifi books section.

Karanov

GAIA subsystem
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Been there. There was quite a bit of D&D 4.0, some whitwolf stuff (Requiem and Awakening mainly) and some Dark Heresy stuff, and that's it. But they had a nice comic selection and a big fantasy\scifi books section.
The American Book Center used to have a great RPG selection. Sadly, it got pared down more and more over the years till only a select few lines remained.

It's still a pretty good bookstore, though. It probably has the best selection of geeky English novels and comics I've ever come across in the Netherlands. It's well worth the visit if you're in the neighborhood.

Top Bottom