• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Gamma World for 5e: What would you like to see?

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
So there has been zero mention of Gamma World at all for the new edition of D&D, but every edition usually brings a new iteration of Gamma World, so I'm hopeful. If it was released, this would be Gamma World's 8th edition

So anyway, what would you like to see in a new edition? How should Wizards best utilize the 5th edition system to best showcase Gamma World? Should it be like older editions (1-4e), or should it be more gonzo like the edition they last released (7e).

FaerieGodfather

Shroompunk Warlord
Validated User
I'd like to see something like Gamma World 4e using D&D 5e mechanics. Maybe do the Gamma World 7e thing with the multiple origins, and have them grant class abilities as you level.

The Disgruntled Poet

Validated User
I think the last ("4E") GW was a lot of fun, they should keep as much of that as they can. Especially since there are numerous retroclones that occupy the old GW space just fine.

The Radioactivist

Validated User
There's already a pretty good fan conversion online of 7th edition's system (i.e. D&D4E Gamma World) to 5E that works fairly well. (No, I don't have the link handy). Honestly, I LOVED the sheer joy the authors had with it, even though 4e's weird math and my inability to make creatures (I simply could not find a single source that specified how to balance monster powers that were not damaging types (i.e. numerical) kinda turned me off.

See, I like my Gamma World wahoo, and I like it grimdark and nanotech-laden and I add in some Twilight 2000, Morrow Project, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and voila - have a delicious radioactive stew with tentacles. Yum.

Last edited:

smarttman

I do some stuff
Validated User
There's already a pretty good fan conversion online of 7th edition's system (i.e. D&D4E Gamma World) to 5E that works fairly well. (No, I don't have the link handy). Honestly, I LOVED the sheer joy the authors had with it, even though 4e's weird math and my inability to make creatures (I simply could not find a single source that specified how to balance monster powers that were not damaging types (i.e. numerical) kinda turned me off.

See, I like my Gamma World wahoo, and I like it grimdark and nanotech-laden and I add in some Twilight 2000, Morrow Project, Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles, and voila - have a delicious radioactive stew with tentacles. Yum.
http://community.wizards.com/content/blog/4113536

Gamma Five. It's pretty well done, and it's more a mish-mash of 7e and Omega World. I just wish the artifact list was longer

To reference the person above, are there any GW clones out there BESIDES Mutant Future? Mutant Epoch is more inspired by GW's style rather than being a pure clone

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Just some initial thoughts-

Unbalanced mutations, including all of those from the 1st through 5th editions, plus some from Dragon and Polyhedron.
As that includes the planar travel mutation from 1st and 2nd editions, ideas on other dimensions without looking like Torg or Rifts.
Using magic items for artifacts and cyberware. Attunement still applies, hopefully in a creative way.
Rules for constructing robots.
An easy monster generator.
Use of virtual and augmented reality.
Replace the Programmers with those who enter the Grid (the Matrix in other words).
A vibrant ecosystem for the land, sea, air, underground, virtual reality and dimensional intrusions.
Weather based on orbital stations (e.g. death rays, happy rays, razor rain).
Surviving Ancients, with the possibility of PCs.
Mutagens other than radiation.
Creatures that are hybrids of more than two species.
Spontaneous generation based on nanotechnology which results in very strange creatures.
Superscience weirdness ala my goo pools (on my blog).

Important- blueprints of the common buildings of the Ancients. How does advanced technology affect the ruins of the old world?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User

tomas

Validated User
Given my dislike of GW7th, I would hope that the authors take a big step away from 7th edition and return to the roots with 1st and 2nd editions. Which a variant of D&D5th would be able to support.

Top Bottom