• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Gamma World for 5e: What would you like to see?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I wound up noodling around with an idea because of this thread. It's too incomplete now to show off, but I shall. The rough idea I'm working with is something akin to Skill Trees for mutations-- you have starting abilities, you have points you get as you level up which make powers more versatile, sometimes more powerful, but they're also front-loaded so you can pick up new ones to get a broader base and make it more useful. Doing the same thing with technology and non-mutant-or-tech super-skills.

...I'll link when it's readier and you can see whether or not I just explained it poorly.
I do want to read this when you are ready to present it. New ways of designing mutations and superscience is always useful to me.

Old DiceMan

Validated User
I wound up noodling around with an idea because of this thread. It's too incomplete now to show off, but I shall. The rough idea I'm working with is something akin to Skill Trees for mutations-- you have starting abilities, you have points you get as you level up which make powers more versatile, sometimes more powerful, but they're also front-loaded so you can pick up new ones to get a broader base and make it more useful.
I'd also suggest certain downsides crop up over time to shift the *kind* of game play the mutation creates -- again this is to avoid the "one-trick pony effect". here is a quick, probably not so well thought out example, taken from the Invisible Girl's powers from the Fantastic Four. I skipped showing some levels, but that is for space. In reality, you want some change per level

Level 1: Can become Invisible for 1 turn 1 time a day​
Level 2: Can become Invisible for 1 turn 2 times a day​
Level 3: Can become Invisible for 1 turn 3 time a day, and have a 5ft radius force field 1 turn 1 time a day​
...​
Level 6: Permanently invisible: can become visible 1 turn 1 time a day...etc..​
Level 8: Permanently invisible for etc. etc. and Permanent 10ft force field: can turn off for 3 turns 2 times a day (note this is pretty inconvenient: the character is effectively Large for "can fit into spaces" purposes, and has to use at least 1 of the 3 turn sessions to get food to eat into the force field bubble) and can turn 1 other PC/NPC/medium creature invisible for 1 turn 1 a day​
Level 10: Permanently invisible for etc. etc. and Permanent 20ft force field: can turn off for 3 turns 3 times a day. and can turn 2 other PC/NPC/medium creatures invisible for 2 turn 2 a day​

So, ignoring the details here, you can see how the mutation's early effects become more powerful, but then start to become somewhat of a nuisance, but also can be used a bit differently as levels go up and new additional aspects of the power crop up.

Top Bottom