• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Gamma World for 5e: What would you like to see?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
I forgot to mention this: http://www.rpgnow.com/product/208668/Cinematic-Environs--Survival I got this and it does have most of the rules that one would need for a survival based 5e version of Gamma World. The only things missing are getting lost underground (for the extensive building complexes*), radiation and high weirdness (neither of which I expected). What does make it very nifty is the rules for a broken spirit**. They are similar to exhaustion but not nearly as directly lethal. The wastes should be terrifying to all of its inhabitants, from squeekers to Death Machines, and many could easily fall to their own expectations of death from any angle.

* Hopefully those will be in a environs book on the underearth sometime in the future.

** Something similar from my blog on the use of fear in Mutant Future- https://d-infinity.net/blog/derek-holland/fear-ruins-gamma-world-and-mutant-future

goeticgeek

RPGnet Member
Validated User
There have been soooooo many editions of Gamma World at this point, including some really excellent unofficial third party versions, that I think I've hit gamma saturation. For me to be really interested in getting a new one, it would really need to do something that Gamma World 1st through 4th Edition (the actual 4th Edition), Darwin's World, Mutant Future, The Mutant Epoch, and Mutant Crawl Classics didn't do.

Perhaps they need to find a way to really leverage the 5E rule set to do something new and exciting. It really can't be just the same old Gamma World and, for me, it has to be a more serious take than the 4E version. It can be gonzo but not too gonzo but, then again, not quite as serious as Numenera, which is essentially just another version of Gamma World.

Thinking about it. I'd like to see something more than race as class with regard to mutants, mutant animals, pure strain humans, plants and robots but, then again, these races are too varied to be just races in the D&D sense. I think they would need to redefine how race and class interact with both race and class giving a player a big menu of abilities to choose from. Enabling the player to have a tremendous array of possibilities to make a tuly unique combination. The Radiance RPG does a good job of this but a 5E Gamma World would need to be muchier than that. I'm thinking of alot of variation in abilities. Maybe we can throw some randomness in there to make it fun too.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

• Pure Strain Humans don't have mutant powers but they should get some sort of abilities that allow them to stack up, perhaps they could be genetically engineered or transhuman.
  • Think about how cool robots/androids would be if they got random traits. I rolled treads and a sexbot torso!
  • Maybe you can even have hybrid race types like cybernetic mutated animals who get abilities from the robot list and the mutant animal lists, or
    pure strain humans infected with plant symbiotes who get both plant and pure strain human abilities. The possibilites are endless.

Like I said it's got to be something special.

Daz Florp Lebam

Grand Poobah
Validated User
There have been soooooo many editions of Gamma World at this point, including some really excellent unofficial third party versions, that I think I've hit gamma saturation. For me to be really interested in getting a new one, it would really need to do something that Gamma World 1st through 4th Edition (the actual 4th Edition), Darwin's World, Mutant Future, The Mutant Epoch, and Mutant Crawl Classics didn't do.

Perhaps they need to find a way to really leverage the 5E rule set to do something new and exciting. It really can't be just the same old Gamma World and, for me, it has to be a more serious take than the 4E version. It can be gonzo but not too gonzo but, then again, not quite as serious as Numenera, which is essentially just another version of Gamma World.

Thinking about it. I'd like to see something more than race as class with regard to mutants, mutant animals, pure strain humans, plants and robots but, then again, these races are too varied to be just races in the D&D sense. I think they would need to redefine how race and class interact with both race and class giving a player a big menu of abilities to choose from. Enabling the player to have a tremendous array of possibilities to make a tuly unique combination. The Radiance RPG does a good job of this but a 5E Gamma World would need to be muchier than that. I'm thinking of alot of variation in abilities. Maybe we can throw some randomness in there to make it fun too.

Some ideas off the top of my head:

• Pure Strain Humans don't have mutant powers but they should get some sort of abilities that allow them to stack up, perhaps they could be genetically engineered or transhuman.
  • Think about how cool robots/androids would be if they got random traits. I rolled treads and a sexbot torso!
  • Maybe you can even have hybrid race types like cybernetic mutated animals who get abilities from the robot list and the mutant animal lists, or
    pure strain humans infected with plant symbiotes who get both plant and pure strain human abilities. The possibilites are endless.

Like I said it's got to be something special.
This is pretty much what I'd be looking for, too.

I'm imagining a clever network of inter-related randomizations, something like a massive talent tree but with fewer restrictions.

Bailywolf

bwakbwak
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
My usual goof on the Gamma World theme is that Pure Strain Humans and equiv have access to prewar supertech which nobody with mutations can access. PSH's can't squirt acid from their tearducts, but the auto-targeting smartgun will electrocute anyone else who picks it up.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
My usual goof on the Gamma World theme is that Pure Strain Humans and equiv have access to prewar supertech which nobody with mutations can access. PSH's can't squirt acid from their tearducts, but the auto-targeting smartgun will electrocute anyone else who picks it up.
So you want something like the genetic locks from 5th ed. PSH got the best tech, androids got the good tech and everyone else was stuck with meh tech.

About defects, it isn't like D&D 5e couldn't actually include them- the rules for missing body parts in the DMG and Bestow Curse are good places to start- it just that the game seems to find such aberrant, if not outright repulsive.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Wow, I am necroing this yet again!

I was rereading Hubris and The Umerica Survival Guide and realized how much I really dislike the idea of a mutant class. I get that DCC using racial classes, but the idea still leaves a bad taste for me. And I can see how they could be used in a 5e derivative. I would rather see mutations like those in GW 4e- those that are applied on top of classes and races. I know that it will make the game harder in terms of figuring out CRs and combat balance, but I don't care. If there is any version of D&D 5e that should require multiple characters for each player, Gamma World 8e is it.

And spinning off from that, each mutation has two levels of power ups that are in the descriptions. Each of those cost a half feat. So if a mutant character gains an ability score increase, they could get a mutation to full power, two mutations a power up or a + 1 to an ability and one mutation power up.

Hedonismbot

Validated User
Just read through this thread, and I'm a little confused by the different product options.

Is "The Umerican Survival Guide" a Gamma-World-like setting book supplement for Dungeon Crawl Classics? But "Mutant Crawl Classics" is still coming? One looks to be a supplement from a third party, but MCC looks to be a standalone game from Goodman Games. Is that correct?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Just read through this thread, and I'm a little confused by the different product options.

Is "The Umerican Survival Guide" a Gamma-World-like setting book supplement for Dungeon Crawl Classics? But "Mutant Crawl Classics" is still coming? One looks to be a supplement from a third party, but MCC looks to be a standalone game from Goodman Games. Is that correct?
Correct, Umerica is a 3rd party product for DCC and is the result of a series the author started before MCC was announced. From what I have read, Crawling Under a Broken Moon/Umerica is very different from MCC in how the setting was constructed. It has patrons adapted from pop culture icons like the band Kiss and Ronald McDonald. MCC isn't going have things like that.

Hedonismbot

Validated User
Thanks for the clarification! So it seems like they would both be DCC Gamma World options, depending on the flavour one was looking for.

Allandaros

Active Ingredient
Validated User
It would be remiss of me to see this and not mention Jez Gordon (aka [MENTION=63907]Giblet Blizzard[/MENTION] *)'s 5e-powered Feral RPG ruleset, which focuses on human-animal mutant hybrids and dimension-shredding inspired by the '80s. There's a playtest doc and sample characters. It's not a direct Gamma World take, but it's what my first reaction would be for something that approaches the tone and gonzo aesthetic in the 5e space.

The sample characters include an assassin named the Doom Shroom, so that's a nice touch. (And as ever, Jez does an amazing job re layout and information presentation).

*shit, hope I did that tagging right

Last edited:
Top Bottom