• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Gamma World for 5e: What would you like to see?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Thanks for the clarification! So it seems like they would both be DCC Gamma World options, depending on the flavour one was looking for.
Your welcome, but Umerica is very much toned down. The mutations are very limited and most aren't within the realm of super duper powers in the early editions of GW. OTOH, it has something that I wish was in MCC and GW- inorganic mutations. For Umerica it is creatures that are part crystal, granite and iron (but obviously those are easy to reskin to any translucent mineral, opaque mineral and soft metal). The only time there were any similar mutations in GW is in Polyhedron 57 with Altered Blood Content and Altered Structural Element. I want those mutations back and official if there is an 8th edition for GW.

Hedonismbot

Validated User
Your welcome, but Umerica is very much toned down. The mutations are very limited and most aren't within the realm of super duper powers in the early editions of GW. OTOH, it has something that I wish was in MCC and GW- inorganic mutations. For Umerica it is creatures that are part crystal, granite and iron (but obviously those are easy to reskin to any translucent mineral, opaque mineral and soft metal). The only time there were any similar mutations in GW is in Polyhedron 57 with Altered Blood Content and Altered Structural Element. I want those mutations back and official if there is an 8th edition for GW.
Ah, interesting! But it also sounds like (based on your earlier post) that in Umerica "mutants" are a class, one among many classes?

Also, I could have sworn there were inorganic mutations in 7e, but I reread the origins and I guess we just skinned some of them as rock-people /partial cyborgs /robots.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Ah, interesting! But it also sounds like (based on your earlier post) that in Umerica "mutants" are a class, one among many classes?
Yes, mutants are a class in Umerica. But they aren't the only mutants- two of the other classes have their own mutations. On is the Feral Urchin (one of the options is shapeshifting children) and the other Wizards of the Wasteland (because of corruption). Huh, I wonder if the mutations in MCC will be useful for designing more spells in DCC?

And then there is Hubris, but that isn't GW at all. It is more like a swords & sorcery version of art for record covers for 80's rock bands. Lots of cool ideas that could be used in GW for sure, but a completely different vibe. It also has a mutant class and a couple other classes that include mutation-like powers (one being a half demon).

Also, I could have sworn there were inorganic mutations in 7e, but I reread the origins and I guess we just skinned some of them as rock-people /partial cyborgs /robots.
Never read it. I love gonzo in my GW, but no defects and mutations and artifacts that change power often? No thank you.

Edit- Allandaros- thank for for the great find! Feral looks like a lot of fun and I know some people who will be interested in the Echoverse.

Last edited:

Hedonismbot

Validated User
It would be remiss of me to see this and not mention Jez Gordon (aka [MENTION=63907]Giblet Blizzard[/MENTION] *)'s 5e-powered Feral RPG ruleset, which focuses on human-animal mutant hybrids and dimension-shredding inspired by the '80s. There's a playtest doc and sample characters. It's not a direct Gamma World take, but it's what my first reaction would be for something that approaches the tone and gonzo aesthetic in the 5e space.

The sample characters include an assassin named the Doom Shroom, so that's a nice touch. (And as ever, Jez does an amazing job re layout and information presentation).

*shit, hope I did that tagging right
Totally missed this post. Feral RPG looks great - reminds me quite a bit of TMNT&OS, actually with its more modern weapons and hands/looks/speech variables.

Chris Goodwin

fruity oaty bar!
Validated User
In notes I've got sitting around in various places I've got PSH with random pieces of tech, because they don't have mutations, and also a random robot parts table intended for a cyborg character type. (Technically it's more of a list of random robot parts, as I haven't attached d100 numbers to it yet.) Some of them are (D) parts, representing either defective robot parts or robot parts that are worse than what the original organic parts would have been, and the cyborging process could conceivably result in the organic cyborg character receiving one or more mutations as well (or mutational defects, possibly representing an organic part that got lopped off or damaged in the cyborging process). They can also be used to roll up random robots.

I'd like to see it keep race/class/background. I'd like to be able to play a PSH fighter, or a humanoid rogue, or a cyborg ranger, or a mutated animal mentalist.

I'd like to see random mutations, reasonably balanced, and unbalanced mutations as options. I'd like not to see randomly drawn mutation cards that change on a daily basis.

I'd like to see the classic monsters.

I'd like not to have wahoo as the default tone. It should support multiple tones: wahoo, grimdark, hopeful rebuilding, somewhat realistic (as realistic as a game with flying, fabric-eating, giant lions can be, anyway).

I'd like to see it complete in one book, or at least complete in one series. If necessary, a PHB, DMG, and MM. You should be able to play the game if all you have is the PHB.

I'd like to see options. How to bring your D&D party to Gamma World (Mutants & Magic), or vice versa. How to have a magical apocalypse. Thundarr with the serial numbers filed off!

james1889

Validated User
Oh man, I loved Gamma World 7E. My own personal take on it was to have my players have occasional flashbacks to a mundane existence - the giant cat woman remembered working on a till in a supermarket, the plant creature remembered being a college lecturer and so on. Gradually they discovered there was something weird going on with time (there was a faction of monks desperate to find anything electronic still working with a time chip in it). The big reveal was going to be that the terrible Event had happened just a couple of years previously, rather than the hundred odd years previously assumed, the exploding Hadron Collider causing a number of different universes to crash into each other, so variant versions of each character in different timelines had fused. Except of course the game collapsed just a couple of sessions before the big reveal. As happens in almost every game I've ever run, oddly enough.

I'd love a take on Gamma World based on the 5E rules, as long as they kept the mashup method of powers that allowed you to come up with your own explanation for the character (my wife played Yeti + Feline as Giant Catperson armed with a lawn strimmer, I seem to remember), and the gonzo tone in general. Probably the most sheer fun game I've ever run.

EDIT:aaaaaaaaand I've just followed the link to the Feral RPG. It looks perfect.

Last edited:

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Necroing yet again.

Superscience robots as a separate group from most robots. Death Machines that have Prismatic Spray as an attack form, teleporting warbots, androids that can cast Guards and Wards 3 times per day. And more spells that can be used both in D&D and GW.

A set of tables for quick and easy reskinning of creatures and machines (robots, androids and gear).

Tables for adventure design with at least two for each sub or alternate genre. Noir comedy melodrama adventures feel much different from horror science fiction mythic adventures.

Old DiceMan

Validated User
Writing a good rules-set that creates gonzo adventure without reducing mutant characters to one-trick ponies is hard. Meaning, gonzo usually means campaigns start off with a bang, but soon fizzle.

The only way I can see to avoid one-trick pony characters is to create mutations that level in ways that they not only get more powerful, but change. And also to try an author interesting mutation interactions. To keep the novelty ever evolving and the gonzo ramping up.

That said...man, that's a lot of writing and design (and playtesting).

Stattick

Electronic Thing
Validated User
I thought about getting into the last edition of Gamma World, but the random cards with powers that change everyday killed any interest I had in the game. To me, it screamed that this wasn't a game designed to be played long term, but something for one-shots or short campaigns, ala Paranoia. Also, I thought the idea of powers that randomly change everyday was just dumb.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I wound up noodling around with an idea because of this thread. It's too incomplete now to show off, but I shall. The rough idea I'm working with is something akin to Skill Trees for mutations-- you have starting abilities, you have points you get as you level up which make powers more versatile, sometimes more powerful, but they're also front-loaded so you can pick up new ones to get a broader base and make it more useful. Doing the same thing with technology and non-mutant-or-tech super-skills.

...I'll link when it's readier and you can see whether or not I just explained it poorly.

But I'm going in the non-random direction. GW7 is an awesome convention or one-shot game, but the randomness is a bit much for us.

Top Bottom