[Ganesha Games]Of Armies and Hordes.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
So, Ganesha Games snuck one by us again and released Of Armies and Hordes, which is the company's first fantasy army battle wargame as opposed to their usual offerings of skirmish-level games. The game still uses their basic activation system, but there are a few things that are different in the transition to the larger scale.

-No sticks- the game is strictly area-based.

- There's now more flexibility with failed activation dice- whenever a player fails activation dice, the other player can trade in two failed dice to switch initiative as before, or they can use those failed dice to try to activate and use their own unit(s) during the opponent's turn.

-Units now have a separate attack bonus and defense value.

-Unit quality better than 4+ now has hard-ruled limits how much of those kinds of units you can bring into a battle.

One of the conspicuous omissions from this book seems to be scenario creation guidelines- most games usually have at least half a dozen types, so this game seems to rely more on the good faith of both players. Besides, this is pretty conspicuously an army battle game, so smaller tactical scenarios applied to this scale may not be appropriate.

However, what the game does seem to expect, seeing as there's a pretty hefty number of them, is for players to make hefty use of special terrain and terrain features to make things various kinds of interesting, like castles, watchtowers, enchanted forests (spellcasters can gain more energy in there, but bumble too much and you get shot at by the Fair Folk), burial grounds (first team to get a necromancer in there gets to rustle up some free skeletons), and dungeons- yeah, one of the unit types is "adventuring party", so you can have adventurers raid dungeons for cash (worth victory points) and/or magic items for the army on the march.

As per the usual Ganesha standard, there's a ton of prebuilt statlines for the common fantasy armies (and not so common, if you happen to want some shroomed-out-of-their-goddamn-mind halfling berserkers), plus the tools to build your own to fill in the gaps.

Just letting you know this thing is out there.

VicenteC

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Thanks for the heads-up, a fantasy wargame sounds totally right my alley, and the changes on Ganesha system you comment sound interesting.

Narcisista

Social Justice NPC
Validated User
Hey, I was anteciopating this so much back in... 2011-12??? Time flies.

Taking a look at the description and reviews the area based rules look interesting. I've been educating myself on hex and chit wargames and many of them use that type of rules to some impressive results. Transposed to miniatures based rules they allow for multiple basing standards to be used without incompatibilities, and handle the mixed troop formations you would expect to find in "medieval" contexts very well.

Definitely going on my to buy list.

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
A somewhat extensive review/AAR.

I would like to see more about magic although I assume it must be in the SoBH vein. Looks usable for quasi-historical armies.
Yeah, the way magic works is that you have persons with the caster quality, plus you buy each indiviidual spell you want that unit to have. Each spell has a different number of required actions to cast.

agoodall

Designated Import
Validated User
According to the AAR, it looks like a typical game would have around 10 units, so this appears similar in scale to DBA or Hordes of the Things. Does anyone have an idea of the table size needed for a 15mm game (assuming, say, DBA-style basing)?

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
According to the AAR, it looks like a typical game would have around 10 units, so this appears similar in scale to DBA or Hordes of the Things. Does anyone have an idea of the table size needed for a 15mm game (assuming, say, DBA-style basing)?
The author uses 6' x 4' for 28mm, so I'm assuming something smaller would work for 15mm.

Top Bottom