• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[General Anime] Non-Current Anime Discussion Thread

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
They do say that this is only for the first Macross.
The problem isn't really their license to the series, it's the trademark(s) they filed which they use to prevent anyone else from releasing anything in the series. In theory, if they lost the rights to the original, then they wouldn't be able to keep releasing things that use said trademark(s) and wouldn't be able to renew it/them (and even if they did lose the license to Macross they'd probably just cram their trademarks into whatever original Robotech stuff they keep pumping out). So as long as they have rights to anything they're still going to screw over the whole franchise.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
The problem isn't really their license to the series, it's the trademark(s) they filed which they use to prevent anyone else from releasing anything in the series. In theory, if they lost the rights to the original, then they wouldn't be able to keep releasing things that use said trademark(s) and wouldn't be able to renew it/them (and even if they did lose the license to Macross they'd probably just cram their trademarks into whatever original Robotech stuff they keep pumping out). So as long as they have rights to anything they're still going to screw over the whole franchise.
Pretty much - Their trademarks for Macross are still live.

camk4evr

Validated User
It would be nice if the renewal/new license cleared up the rights mess with the subsequent series. So even if HG continues to hold onto SDF Macross, it would be nice to see the others released, even Macross Seven.
Actually, HG had nothing to do with Macross 7 anime (the Macross 7 Trash manga on the otherhand...) not being licensed. It wasn't
Iicensed because the company that had the music rights wanted the prospective licensee (i want to say Manga ent. but I can't remember which company was trying to license the series) to license all of Hummingbird's (i think they were who performed the music for Macross 7) music which would have been prohibitivly expensive (and, apparently so would replacing all of the music in Macross 7).

And Macross 7 was great fun even if the best way to improve it would have been to have someone beating Basara over the head with a 2x4 for 5 to 10 minutes per episode ^_^

acksed

Validated User
Just watched Girls und Panzer der Film. I have the biggest grin on my face. Sure, it's unrealistic, but it knows what I like, and what I like is epic tank battles with minor slice-of-life intervals.

Icarium

Validated User
I love that one, yeah. Especially the bit where... (Spoilers for GnP Film)

Spoiler: Show
... the Cavalry kicks in and all the other schools they fought pop up to help them out. It was great.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I read a bit of Fire Force, but gradually drifted away when it became clear how committed it was to using its female characters for cheesecake and gratuitous sexy situations. It wasn't bad as shounen action manga go aside from that, but it didn't really stand out.

Kanata no Astra/Astra Lost in Space, on the other hand was one of my favorite manga as it was coming out. I sort of lump it in with stories like The Promised Neverland and Dr. Stone, where the focus is on seeing characters being smart, adapting to a hostile environment, and pulling together to survive. It's got likable characters, some interesting challenges for them to face, a rarely-seen form of LGBT representation, and deeper-than-it-seems worldbuilding that sneaks up on you before the big reveals. Really looking forward to it.
I never see people mention Astra, but it’s great!

yukamichi

Unregistered User
Validated User
I have found myself watching Basquash, due to reasons, and wow I am absolutely in love. The first episode might be one of the best first (or any number, really) episodes of a show I've ever seen, and admittedly while the overall level of absudly-goodness dropped afterwards, it's still a really amazing looking show. Great designs, amazing backgrounds and visual setting, love the Big Foot CG (it's 10 years old and hardly looks aged at all to me, and it flows really well with the rest of the animation in the show), the execution is just textbook perfect kids mecha show, etc etc... Also Kobayashi Yuu voices a talking snake.

I think this might be the greatest thing Shoji Kawamori has ever made (and of course there were virtual space idols in the first ten minutes of the first episode, because Kawamori can't not).

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Basquash was a fun show, even though the majority of it didn't quite live up to the first few episodes. I remember hearing that the production had some difficulties behind the scenes.

It also has Iceman Hottie, one of my all-time favorite ridiculous anime names.

Top Bottom