• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[General Anime] Non-Current Anime Discussion Thread

Huor

Validated User
Those rumours are true, although they’re more mini movies than OVAs. They’ll get a theatrical release in Japan and if we’re lucky they’ll get a Western release. Unfortunately they have to replace Ange’s voice actress as she had to retire due to health problems.

ajdynon

Validated User
I would, too. I recall rumors that there was going to be a six-episode OAV series set after the current story.

Easily stands in my ladder as the top anime of the 2010's.
It's up there, although personally I think A Place Further Than The Universe tops it. And, of course, Madoka Magica (2011, so it counts).

Cirlot

Validated User
A Place Further Than The Universe was, I think, hands down my favorite of last season and I've been scouring the interwebs for information on when/if it's going to get a dvd/blueray release stateside. Enough stuff eventually falls off of streaming services that for the things that really blow me out of the water I want to own a hardcopy . . . plus it's far, FAR easier to guilt people into watching stuff you think they'll like but have a hard time explaining why they will when you can just fling a DVD set at them and run away. Or sneak it into the movienight mix . . .

Also, belated update: watched 3.33 last LAST weekend, I'm still processing. I suspect 2.22 is my favorite of the three - as a point of divergence it manages to engage my nostalgia for the old while prompting my curiosity about the new, pacing wise it feels a bit more focused than 3.33 and not as truncated as 1.0 and, frak it, it's also more fanservicey in the way I want (communication! handholding! aborted dinner parties! Seriously they're all just so much visibly closer to healthy it breaks my heart) before it goes in for the sucker punch - but regardless I'm motherfrikken' invested in how this all plays out.

Huor

Validated User
No word on a BD release of A Place Further Than the Universe yet. I’m pretty sure that Crunchyroll has the license (as I recall they were on the production committee). I have found that CR can be quite slow at physical releases and I’m sure that the end of their deal with Funimation is only going to make the problem worse.

The show was widely popular so I’d be shocked if we didn’t get a physical release eventually. I’m even hopeful of seeing a dub.

Littleredfox

Validated User
I've also started watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam because I feel I must plug that hole in my anime education. The opening is very 70's, and also in the running for the most misleading in anime, tone-wise. It only loses to Madoka's because the rah-rah song and heroic mech posturing is immediately followed by a grim narration that reminds us Mr. Tomino is not fucking around when he says war is hell.
1 minute 30 seconds of upbeat song. 30 seconds of Mankind colonizing space before the first colony cylinder explodes. 15 seconds later half the human race is dead in the first month of the war. 15 seconds after that we find out that was 8 months ago and the war is still on.

Then the horror of Amuro in his underpants.

Bira

Validated User
I've heard people saying that Amuro literally falls into the cockpit of the Gundam, but it ends up being a lot less literal than I thought. Sure, he has no military training, but he's a gearhead who knows exactly what the Gundam is, he has a manual that he actually reads, and he enters the cockpit on purpose to fight the nearby Zakus.

He's both more prepared and more willing to fight than Shinji Ikari was at the beginning of Eva! Ichijo Hikaru from Macross is still the protagonist who comes closest to literally stumbling into his first mech battle, though. (That I've seen, at least).

FifteenWords

Validated User
I've been watching Overlord, and man...Never has a show made me utter the words "This would be a lot more interesting if our protagonists weren't around" more.

The fantasy world is a really interesting place, but the main cast is just so one-note. Season 2's episodes about the Lizardmen tribes and the subsequent arc about Brain and Climb were so much more compelling than whatever came before.

Edit: Especially Albedo. Albedo's terrible. Apparently, she didn't exist in the original Web Novel. I do kind of like Sebas, however.

Littleredfox

Validated User
I've heard people saying that Amuro literally falls into the cockpit of the Gundam, but it ends up being a lot less literal than I thought. Sure, he has no military training, but he's a gearhead who knows exactly what the Gundam is, he has a manual that he actually reads, and he enters the cockpit on purpose to fight the nearby Zakus.

He's both more prepared and more willing to fight than Shinji Ikari was at the beginning of Eva!
Amuro is wracking up the potential PTSD though. By Episode 3 it is entirely possible he's less ready than Shinji.

0Megabyte

Stardust Princeling
Validated User
Amuro is wracking up the potential PTSD though. By Episode 3 it is entirely possible he's less ready than Shinji.
Which is amazing. The narrative that Shinji Ikari was a "deconstruction" of mecha anime really is... well, bunk, if you actually go back and watch them!

Kinni

Writer of Ten Thousand Ideas
Validated User
Which is amazing. The narrative that Shinji Ikari was a "deconstruction" of mecha anime really is... well, bunk, if you actually go back and watch them!
You could say Evangelion is a deconstruction of Super Robot Shows such as Getter Robo and Mazinger, instead of the real robot genre Gundam is part of. There are still a lot of earlier deconstructions and playing with the genre (one of my favorites is the one where the pilot is the head of a corporation, and he needs budgetary approval to use his special attacks).

Top Bottom