• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[General Anime] Non-Current Anime Discussion Thread

ecs05norway

Validated User
Ichijo Hikaru was at least an expert airplane pilot before he ended up in a Valkyrie cockpit, even if he'd never been in actual combat before. He had no trouble handling the plane until he got into Battroid mode, at which point everything (around him) fell apart.

Bira

Validated User
Yeah, but his scene conveys a lot more of that "fell into the cockpit" vibe to me than Amuro's did. He's genuinely startled at the transformation and all the non-airplane things a Valkyrie can do, and fumbles harder until he can get his bearings.

I also agree about EVA being more of a Super Robot deconstruction. Shinji didn't fall into the entry plug, he was thrown into it, and he has by far the poorest combat performance of the three protagonists we're discussing (which is very intentional on the part of the show, of course).

Fae

sing of hope to the new dawn
Validated User
Which is amazing. The narrative that Shinji Ikari was a "deconstruction" of mecha anime really is... well, bunk, if you actually go back and watch them!
By now I'm convinced that every piece of popular media that gets called a "deconstruction" of its genre actually isn't.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
By now I'm convinced that every piece of popular media that gets called a "deconstruction" of its genre actually isn't.
The rule of thumb of deconstruction is that once it becomes a trope then it can only remain a deconstruction by deconstructing itself. As a result, I nominate Martian Successor Nadesico as the ultimate deconstruction mecha media. :3

Sankarah

Not Quite a Grognard
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Which is amazing. The narrative that Shinji Ikari was a "deconstruction" of mecha anime really is... well, bunk, if you actually go back and watch them!
That’s not the narrative, though. The narrative is that Eva’s a deconstruction of super robot anime, which is a different genre. It’s not necessarily true even then, but judging the claim by looking at real robot mecha shows is misleading.

Jinx999

Validated User
I believe EVA was a deconstruction of the classic (i.e. 70's) "Super Robot" shows, but the more recent shows (and the real robot shows, like Gundam) take note of the issues Eva raised, so it wouldn't count as a deconstuction of any shows made for the past 20 years.

Bira

Validated User
The EVAs are still technically "super robots" in that each one is unique and can only be piloted by a specific person, but yeah, this is a show that mixes in a lot of Real Robot tropes with a heavier than usual questioning of the basic "axioms" of a Super Robot show. Those would be (IMO): the existence of the robots is a good thing; fighting the bad guys is the right thing to do; the protagonists are up to the challenge.

Even classic Super Robot shows could get dark even when they followed all of these axioms perfectly, from what I've been seeing on Wikipedia and in Ultimate Chicken's summaries in the Let's Play Super Robot Wars thread. A recent example of a show that follows a more classic Super Robot formula might be Netflix's remake of Voltron.

sarellion

Validated User
I've been watching Overlord, and man...Never has a show made me utter the words "This would be a lot more interesting if our protagonists weren't around" more.

The fantasy world is a really interesting place, but the main cast is just so one-note. Season 2's episodes about the Lizardmen tribes and the subsequent arc about Brain and Climb were so much more compelling than whatever came before.

Edit: Especially Albedo. Albedo's terrible. Apparently, she didn't exist in the original Web Novel. I do kind of like Sebas, however.
Well, it´s an isekai with atotally OP MC follwing the standard formula, the protagonist is just a guy who completely lost his humanity. We get to see the other people so the viewer can get attached to the people Ainz & Co murder. It´s ok/good if you don´t mind watching horrible people doing their thing.
The Isekai Quartet version of the Overlord crew might be more interesting. They cannot simply slaughter their way out of it and have some hook to connect to the other people.
Also it was very satisfying watching Ainz getting punched by Aqua´s Turn Undead.:giggle:

Dunno if her missing from the WN means much. AFAIK web novels are more or less rough first drafts.

Ultimate Chicken

Social Justice Chicken
Validated User
Yeah, I mean, we'd never have a General Enri The Bloody without our hero, at least not in the form she appeared in. Think about it - A lot of unlikely things would have to happen otherwise. The hero is the catalyst for interesting stuff.

Top Bottom