• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[General Anime][Summer 2016] Too Big To Be Called A Thread

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
Summer 2016 Anime Streaming Info!

Same drill as usual. I'll update this list as announcements are made. I'm not going to list the stuff carrying over from the previous season, nor am I going to list one-shots, OVA's, and Movies, since those frequently don't get streamed (sadly). I'm also not listing stuff that looks to be little kids shows that doesn't have a streaming or simulcast site yet. If there's something you want added to the list though, let me know and I'll be happy to do so.

Useful Related Links:

As always, if you see something I've missed, or have a streaming service you'd like added, please let me know.

Crunchyroll Summer 2016 Lineup

• 91 Days – Jul 9
  • Active Raid Season 2 – Jul 10 – 12 Episodes – Available Worldwide except Asia.
  • Alderamin on the Sky – Jul 9 – 13 Episodes x 25 Minutes
  • Amanchu! – Jul 8 – Available in United States (and its territories), Canada, Latin America (Central and South America including Caribbean), United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, Scandinavia, Netherlands.
  • B-Project – Jul 2 - Available in United States, Canada.
  • Berserk (2016) – Jul 1 – Available worldwide except for Asia, New Zealand, and Australia.
  • Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE! (2nd Season) – Jul 8 - ? Episodes x 24 Minutes – Available Worldwide except Asia.
  • Days - Jul 2 - Available in North America, Latin America, Netherlands, Scandinavia, South Africa, UK,Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, the Middle East and North Africa.
  • Food Wars: The Second Plate – Jul 2 – 13 Episodes – Available in USA, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Latin America, the Middle East and North Africa, Netherlands, Scandinavia, Turkey, Austria, Bulgaria, Comoros, Czech Republic, Estonia, Germany, Greece, Hungary, Latvia, Liechtenstein, Lithuania, Poland, Portugal, Republic of Croatia, Romania, Slovakia, Slovenia, Spain.
  • Hitori no Shita: The Outcast – Jul 9 – 12 Episodes - Available Worldwide except Japan, China, Korea.
  • Hybrid x Heart Magias Academy Ataraxia – Jul 5 - Available Worldwide except for Asia
  • Love Live! Sunshine!! – Jul 2 – Available in Ireland and the UK.
  • Mob Psycho 100 – Jul 12
  • Momokuri – Jul 1 – 13 Episodes x 24 Minutes - Available in the US, Canada, UK, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand and South Africa, Latin America, Scandinavia, Netherlands, Turkey and Middle East.
  • The Morose Mononokean – Jul 3 – Available in U.S.A., Canada, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand, South Africa, Sweden, Denmark, Norway, Finland, Iceland, Netherlands, Latin America (Central and South America including Caribbean), German and French speaking Europe.
  • New Game! – Jul 5 - Available Worldwide except for Asia
  • Orange – Jul 4
  • Ozmafia!! – Jul 6 – Available worldwide except for Japan, China, Hong Kong, Macau, and Taiwan.
  • Qualidea Code – Jul 9 – Available in North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, and New Zealand.
  • ReLIFE – Jul 1 – 13 Episodes, available Day 1 to Crunchyroll Subscribers -- Available worldwide except Japan, China, North Korea, and Syria.
  • Rewrite – Jul 2 – Available in North America, Central America, South America, United Kingdom, Ireland, Australia, New Zealand.
  • The High School Life of a Fudanshi (Fudanshi Koukou Seikatsu) – Jul 5 - ? Episodes x 5 Minutes – Available Worldwide except Asia.
  • Sweetness and Lightning – Jul 5 – 12 Episodes - Available Worldwide except Asia.
  • Taboo-Tattoo – Jul 5

Funimation Summer 2016 Simulcasts

• Cheer Boys!! – Jul 5
  • Cute High Earth Defense Club LOVE! LOVE! (2nd Season) – Jul 8 - ? Episodes x 24 Minutes
  • D.Gray-man Hallow – Jul 5 – 13 Episodes
  • Danganronpa 3: Future Arc – Jul 11
  • Danganronpa 3: Despair Arc – Jul 14
  • The Disasterous Life of Saiki K – Jul 4
  • First Love Monster – Jul 2
  • Handa-kun – Jul 8
  • The Heroic Legend of Arslan: Dust Storm Dance – Jul 3 – 8 Episodes
  • Love Live! Sunshine!! – Jul 2
  • Puzzles and Dragons X – Jul 4
  • Regalia: The Three Sacred Stars – Jul 7
  • Scared Rider Xechs – Jul 6
  • Servamp – Jul 5
  • Tales of Zestiria the X – Jul 3
  • Time Travel Girl: Mari Waka and the Eight Scientists – Jul 9 – 12 Episodes
  • Tsukiuta. The Animation – Jul 6

Hulu Streaming

Animelab - Madman Australia

• Love Live! Sunshine!! – Jul 2

Daisuki

Animax

Viewster

The Anime Network

Amazon Prime

• Battery – Jul 14

Netflix Streaming

• The Seven Deadly Sins: Signs of Holy War – Aug 28(?) – 4 Episodes

No Streaming yet (With official or estimated start date, if known)

• Ange Vierge – Jul 10
  • Fate/kaleid liner Prisma☆Illya 3rei!! – Jul 6
  • Mahou Shoujo? Naria☆Girls – Jul 7
  • This Art Club Has a Problem! – Jul 8

If anyone has anything to add, especially for streaming services outside the US (Viewster, Animax, and Animelab especially, since I can't reliably check their pages), please let me know and I'll add them to the pile. Thanks :)

Last edited:

YourSwordisMine

MINE!
Validated User
Was waiting for this thread. D.Gray-Man and Berserk. Are these retellings, continuations or something else entirely?

chiasaur11

Validated User
I'm just excited for Mob Psycho 100. ONE's got some pretty good comedy chops, and the animation for it somehow makes his crap-ass art look dynamic and cool in the previews..

yalborap

Well, that’s just Prime.
Validated User
So here's a bit of an oddball question. Anyone know of any cases of drama CDs being dubbed or having semi-official subbed releases? I've seen the occasional fansubbed short on youtube, and an occasional transcript, but beyond that it seems like this huge wide field of content isn't even seeing a vague attempt to bring it over.

I'm rather specifically looking for stuff that tries to do fight scenes in the audio, if anyone knows of any of those, as well. I've got a couple of rough projects in mind for the future, and seeing how different professional pieces deal with crafting a good fight scene without the benefit of visual language is something that'd help me a lot.

Thanks!

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
  • Jhiday's New Anime, Summer 2016 thread, where he reviews the first episodes of almost all the new series. (Coming Soon!)
As I mentioned in the previous thread, I'm not sure how well that'll be coming along, as I'll be very busy over the next couple of weeks. This season may be an all-capsules edition, at worst. We'll see ! :D

Bull

Professional Game Convention Drunk
Validated User
As I mentioned in the previous thread, I'm not sure how well that'll be coming along, as I'll be very busy over the next couple of weeks. This season may be an all-capsules edition, at worst. We'll see ! :D
All good. If/when you do, I'll link. If not, that's cool too. I have a Word template saved for these now since this I've been doing this for like 6 or 7 seasons now, so all I gotta do is cut and paste info into them, and that's on there by default :)

Jhiday

Unrepentant Froggie
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, one of the big reasons I've been quite busy over the last couple of weeks (and will the next couple too) is that I've taken upon myself to do something I rarely do : watch OVAs. Especially standalones ; those may have nearly disappeared nowadays, but they were dime a dozen back in the 90s, and catching up on that period of anime history wouldn't be complete without them.

So, with the Spring season winding down, I've been watching an OVA series per day. For 20 days. (I hope to reach a full month before quitting due to going on holidays.)

Now, for practical (and lazy) reasons, a bunch of those were one-episode extras of recent (or semi-recent) anime series ; I won't elaborate on those.

Let's start with Midori no Neko ("the Green Cat"), one of the earliest OVAs ever released, back in 1983 ; it's adapted from a children's book illustrated by Osamu Tezuka. I watched it out of curiosity, but there's very little to recommend to it : the storytelling is very dated, the characters don't have much depth, and the plot is simply bizarre (and not in a good way). I think my main issue is that it completely failed to build the mystery around the titular green cat, which is very obviously up to no good from the start. The nested flashback structure doesn't help with the tension either ; this is one of the worst-executed in media res I've seen in a while.

Yokohama Kaidashi Kikou is something I've heard good buzz about and been wanting to watch for a while. Warning : this is definitely healing anime, with nothing much happening at all. What it's got going for it is its very interesting setting, a pastoral post-apocalyptic Japan where robots make up for the population loss and do jobs like couriers and keeping coffee shops open. And at four episodes total, it doesn't overstay its welcome.

Animation Runner Kuromi-chan feels like a pilot for Shirobako, exploring some similar ground a decade earlier. (In less detail, of course, since it's only two 40-minute OVAs.) It's frankly quite ugly and basically-animated, but it makes up for its cruddy production values with some boundless energy and perfect comedic timing. Well worth your time if you have any interest in the animation industry and/or work-coms.

Speaking of OVAs that kinda feel like earlier drafts or recent series, Naisho no Tsubomi reminds me a lot of the currently-airing Age 12 ; it's another adaptation of a shoujo romance series with protagonists at the cusp of puberty (instead of the middle/high school characters dominating the genre). Quite fun, overall.

Denpa-teki na Kanojo is a great little OVA series about a dude and his stalker girlfriend investigating creepy crimes in their neighbourhood. A lot of the charm comes from the relationship between the two leads ; she's quite creepy indeed, but not a villain. (Unlike many of the assholes they face, who nearly make her look good in contrast.) The two stories told here get well enough time not to feel rushed, although of course you usually guess there'll be a twist when the bad guy gets caught halfway through. Good execution, fun characters ; this is another little show well worth your time. (Maybe not for the faint of heart, though.)

Corpse Party - Tortured Souls is basically a straight adaptation of the first horror game of the franchise. (It certainly plays out very similarly until the bit I got stuck early on, in the infirmary.) On the one hand, it's often very effective horror, and there are some nice bits of non-linear storytelling. On the other hand, several characters die like complete chumps (what happens to the teacher is just laughable), and some surprise twists are way too rushed. Still, the punchline at the end will stick with me for a while ; I wish more of the actual show had the same understated effectiveness rather than rely so much on histrionics.

(More to come later)

Top Bottom