• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

General Anime Thread La General Anime Thread

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
As always, here's RPG.net-tan to see us off:

Now commence to Japanese pop culture-ing.

Edit: And news already. Sentai Filmworks has already announced Diabolik Lovers. Good for them, I suppose.

Last edited:

CaButler

Validated User
So, the first episode of Kill La Kill is out. For those that have seen it, what are your thoughts on the episode?

For me, the pace was nearly at breakneck speed. The show clearly want you to know what type of world we're dealing with, what kind of characters we're dealing with and some quick backstory tidbits.

Honestly, I kind of liked this episode. It made sure to get a lot of important information out of the way as well as leaving a few questions, the big one being "What the fuck is going on here?" I'm mixed on the characters themselves but I have hope for Ryuuko Matoi (the lead heroine) and Satsuki Kiryuuin appears to be interesting as a villain. I'm not certain on how to feel about the friend, cause she could go either way.

That said, I can't help but think that the show might have been taking a few jabs at certain tropes, like the breast mail trope late in the episode. Then again, this is by the same guys who did Gurren Laggan, so they could be turning it into a joke and playing it straight at the same time.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User
Kill la Kill is destined to be the Madoka of the Evangelion genre.

Or something like that.

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
So, Kill La Kill. I like it a whole lot. A whole lot. For different reasons than Attack on Titan, but pretty much the same amount. It doesn't even give you Gurren Lagann's grace period, but instead throws you in head first.

It is also completely insane. This adds to its charm.

Rainfall

Validated User
Kill la Kill is destined to be the Madoka of the Evangelion genre.

Or something like that.
Nah, it's just Imaishi doing the western genre. But with big massive superlative scale, big massive superlative red letters, big massive superlative superpowers and big massive superlative fanservice. :D

Liked it a whole lot, it's a fun goofy grin inducer. I found the general reaction to the suit highly amusing.

Last edited:

Mejiro

I think I'm a Drow now
Validated User
Nah, it's just Imaishi doing the western genre. But with big massive superlative scale, big massive superlative red letters, big massive superlative superpowers and big massive superlative fanservice. :D

Liked it a whole lot, it's a fun goofy grin inducer. I found the general reaction to the suit highly amusing.
Even Ryuuko was kinda un-amused - "Look, it gives me +10 to all my stats, and the same defence as +5 plate. It's not my fault how it looks!" If it can keep up the pace, then it looks to be a hell of a show, even if it's nothing but fight scenes for 13 episodes.

Kyoukai no Kanata was pretty much 'a cute girl doing violent things'. The girl is moe to a kinda ridiculous degree (how many times did she manage to fall over? And glasses? and that really baggy jumper? KyoAni knows what it's fans like!). Interesting to see where it goes, I'll probably stick with it for a while at least.

Coppelion was kinda cool, but I am a bit of a sucker for post-apocalyptic cityscapes. I'm not entirely sure who the dude in Tokyo was, or what the girls are doing, because even if that bag is full of food-shots they can't have more than a week or two's worth, and Tokyo is big when you're schlepping around on foot. Definitely intriguing.

KoboldLord

Validated User
I just finished Gen'ei wo Kakeru Taiyou, mostly by virtue of unrelenting obstinacy and morbid curiosity. I don't think I've heard one comment about it from any of you since everybody went through the first episodes of everything this last season, and I'm assuming that means nobody else watched it. Having finished it, I have to say that this assumption means you are all wiser than I am. It was a trainwreck all the way through.

If anybody needs a reminder about what show I'm talking about, it was the Tarot-themed magical girl one that was clearly trying way too hard to be the next Madoka. Turns out the boss villain was the protagonist's monster Dad, and his motivation for causing the events that made up the plot was that he wanted to have sex with her. The stuff connecting the beginning with that end was mostly a barrage of storytelling clichés only loosely connected together and mostly discarded without any interesting development. Killing the Monster of the Week kills the possessed victims… but the protagonists gets the power to talk to them in the next episode and it turns out the possessed victims mostly beg for a merciful death. Evil duplicates of the main characters attack, but after they kill one supporting character they just… go away for some reason. No particular explanation. One of the main four gets killed, one gets depowered, and a third gets turned into a monster who walks around naked all the time, but then they get suddenly magicked back to normal and they're fine again. And by 'suddenly', I mean twenty seconds of dialogue between the possibility being introduced for the first time and them being wished back to normal. A lynch mob burns down the fortune-telling school, but everybody makes it out without even needing to fight and the lynch mob doesn't think to check the fortune-telling place across town for them. The magical girls' backers are revealed to be evil, but they don't actually have anything to do with the plot and don't get names, faces, or goals. There isn't even much in the way of choreography for the fight scenes.

I don't think I made good use of my six hours here. Fortunately, I did watch several other things that were actually good this last season, like Eccentric Family, Silver Spoon, several continuing seasons of things I've watched before, and so forth. I would not recommend this one show, though.

Chaotic Confused

Validated User
Anime Status: Saved!

I wonder if Ryuuko's outfit will literally grow and become less skimpy as it absorbs threads from destroyed Goku uniforms?

Top Bottom