• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

General Anime thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
I think I need a general thread, so I'm not making a new thread for everything I watch that I want to make a short comment on.

So...

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya.

Well that was painful. Never seen a show where even the watching order was up in the air. And good god was the Endless Eight arc long. I completely skipped two episodes and still found it boring and way overlong. Maybe that was the point...to make me feel like the characters trapped in time.

Hyouka

I'm kind of liking this, though I'm still not sure where its going after three episodes.

Last edited:

Balac

Validated User
Well that was painful. Never seen a show where even the watching order was upmin the air. And good go was the Endless Eight arc long. I completely skipped two episodes and still found it boring and way overlong. Maybe that was the point...to make me feel like the characters trapped in time.
I honestly have no idea what the people behind Endless Eight could possibly have been thinking. Loved the first season and was chomping at the bit for season two but only managed to make it through two eps. of Endless Eight before giving up on the show. If it wasn't for the film I'd probably have never watched anything Haruhi related ever again.

My own recent WTF series was Listen to Me, Girls, I'm Your Father!. I only gave this series a shot due to being a fan of the light novel artist and was not expecting much. Weirdly it's quite sweet, a family drama about sticking together through adversity with some likable characters and a good heart. Sadly it also has panty shots of underage girls. Not many of them, cut out about five minutes and you'd have a nice little show. It's like the author wanted to do a through back to the 'home dramas' that used to be a staple of Japanese TV and then decided that wouldn't sell so why not add it loli-moe. Ick.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
On a more positive note, JoJo's bizarre adventure hit its stride with episode 3 this week, Demonstrating how Jonathan Joestar sets the standard for his entire lineage by fighting a vampire not with kung fu or crazy superpowers, but with his bare hands and whatever he can get said hands on in the middle of a burning mansion, and running most of the fight with a lance-head sticking through his shoulder

ShanG

青铜时代的中&#
Validated User
I honestly have no idea what the people behind Endless Eight could possibly have been thinking. Loved the first season and was chomping at the bit for season two but only managed to make it through two eps. of Endless Eight before giving up on the show. If it wasn't for the film I'd probably have never watched anything Haruhi related ever again.
'Oh crap, we don't have enough material to fill out the rest of the season, what do we do?'
'What if we expand Endless Eight to fill all the extra episodes?'
'Brilliant!'

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
'Oh crap, we don't have enough material to fill out the rest of the season, what do we do?'
'Brilliant!'
Given the amount of source material I would not think that an issue.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
'Brilliant!'
Nah. They had plenty of published material to adapt, they did endless eight the way they did purely for artistic reasons, and because no one had done such a thing before.

That's the thing about pushing the boundries: sometimes you make something amazing, and sometimes you make something people hate, and you can't always know beforehand which it will be.

--- Post Updated ---

Demon King Daimo:

The concept behind this anime really deserves a better series.

Balac

Validated User
'Brilliant!'
You would think that but at the time of the second season the novel series was up to volume 9 and they don't adapt past volume 6.

Pip

Citizen of Ireland
Validated User
(I personally liked Endless Eight, but I went in beforehand knowing how much of it there would be and also have some training in analysing media on a technical rather than narrative level, most of my coworkers I've mentioned it to have expressed great interest in the concept, too, even the ones who don't watch anime. The truth is that from a technical perspective each episode is extraordiarily different, and by making the plot the same each time they throw the technical decisions into the foreground making them much more obvious)

R-90-2

Can it be SNEK TIEM?
Validated User
All I can say is- new episodes of Yamato 2199 cannot come out fast enough.

...Okay, I can say more. They actually incorporated some of the changes from the English localization of the original SBY into the new series- Susumu's death is now officially a heroic sacrifice rather than "Death before Dishonor", and the Gamilus ground troops are actually (fairly creepy) combat androids. They even took into account one of the more notorious parts of the original's animation and made it part of the story. The human-colored soldiers of Gamilus that are holding down the Sol system are basically Gamilus Auxilia- units drawn from peoples conquered by the Empire looking to serve out their term and gain full citizenship on par with the actual (blue) Gamilans.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
(I personally liked Endless Eight, but I went in beforehand knowing how much of it there would be and also have some training in analysing media on a technical rather than narrative level, most of my coworkers I've mentioned it to have expressed great interest in the concept, too, even the ones who don't watch anime. The truth is that from a technical perspective each episode is extraordiarily different, and by making the plot the same each time they throw the technical decisions into the foreground making them much more obvious)
Whilst I certainly did recognise the retelling of the events each time time restarted and that was kind of interesting, I just was hugely frustrated from the narrative perspective. To the point where I skipped episodes. To the point where I screamed at the TV.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom