• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

[General Anime] We've Entered an Endless Recursion of General Anime Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ikselam

may one day be worthy of your grace
Validated User

Ezra Pound said:
IN A STATION OF THE METRO

The apparition of these faces in the crowd;
Petals on a wet, black bough.
Previously: Log Horizon (still), Gundam, Precure, imouto incest, romance manga, novels, new shows are all crap unless they're not.

Currently: We discuss why there is so little anime based on Modernist poetry; Pretty Cure's relevance to Third Wave feminist thought; Freudian versus Jungian analysis of the imouto as a symbolic construct; cute girls doing cute things as metaphor for the existential crises of 21st-century civilization; and more!

durecellrabbit

Validated User
Continuing the discussion on the licensing of Index by Yen Press.

It does not follow that it's necessary to complete the series to profit from the market created by the anime. And I assume many fans would prefer to get some of the light novels rather than none.

(That being said, if you did want to read them all and you're estimating a decade, it would be quicker to just learn Japanese ^_^)
Whilst true, I was speaking there as a consumer. If I have no faith they will complete a series that makes me more unwilling to purchase any volumes. That kind of thing drives me insane. I've seen that kind of thing happen with other media, with companies stopping putting out dvd series before they were completed and so on. Which just encourages some folks to wait to make sure its complete before buying anything.

As for reading, well fan translations are more or less caught up.
Lack of confidence that the manga/light novel series will be completed is a big reason I'm hesitant to buy my own copies and is a definite reason why I've cut back on my spending on manga a lot. Looking at my manga collection I think Chobits, Fruits Basket and Death Note are the only ones I've managed to collect to completion.

A lot of the fan translation will probably be taken down.

Last edited:

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Lack of confidence that the manga/light novel series will be completed is a big reason I'm hesitant to buy my own copies and is a definite reason why I've cut back on my spending on manga a lot. Looking at my manga collection I think Chobits, Fruits Basket and Death Note are the only ones I've managed to collect to completion.
True, but I think I'll give them a try, if nothing else to be able to read them in some sort of proper syntax. They'll also, going by their manga, keep honorifics and whatnots but not leave in 'Okaasan' when it's just easier to say 'Mom.'

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
Continuing the discussion on the licensing of Index by Yen Press.

Yeah. It is annoying, doubly so if its your first exposure to the story.

A lot of the fan translation will probably be taken down.
True. The main fan translation hub seems to be pretty good about removing series once they are licensed for a US release. Checking I see they have already removed SAO for instance, which I think has been licensed but yet to be published in English.

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
True, but I think I'll give them a try, if nothing else to be able to read them in some sort of proper syntax. They'll also, going by their manga, keep honorifics and whatnots but not leave in 'Okaasan' when it's just easier to say 'Mom.'
Hmm. That would be jarring to me. I think I'd prefer them to go all one way or the other.

Doctor-Boom

mad scientist
Validated User
Irregular 3rd episode summed up...

Spoiler: Show
-what do i need to do to establish myself has a badass?
-you must find the biggest badass in school and beat the crap out of him.
ok...
Sound of fights....
-I said "the" as in singular you know.
-I thought i might as well take the whole magical swordfight club while i was at it.

Last edited:

Dawgstar

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Hmm. That would be jarring to me. I think I'd prefer them to go all one way or the other.
Oh, they'd leave in words that don't have direct translations (sempai, for example) but if you can translate a word simply and everyone knows what it means (the aforementioned 'Okaasan') then they'll do that. Basically like how all manga is translated nowadays anyway.

Catharsis Cat

Live Action Anime Girl
Validated User
So I finally finished* Maison Ikkoku, it only took 10 months. It was entertaining, but I am completely burnt out on it. The pacing wasn't the greatest, the2nd and fourth quartiles of the series kind of drag out. The 2nd Quartile because for every entertaining filler episode, there is a story arc that adds forced drama. The final one, because it drags out the conclusion way too long. The last 2 episodes really could have been merged, as nothing of note happens in them.

Don't get me wrong when the shows was good it was good, but it has the exact same consistency problems as Ranma 1/2.

I am going to go against popluar consensus here and say in terms of anime Kimagure Orange Road kinf of smokes it. I still need to watch Toiuch! to see how it compares.

*I missed 8 episodes in the middle due to scratched netflix discs but I am not going to worry about it too much.

Last edited:

Quasar

Feeling kinda smurfy
Validated User
So I finally finished* Maison Ikkoku, it only took 10 months. It was entertaining, but I am completely burnt out on it. The pacing wasn't the greatest, the2nd and fourth quartiles of the series kind of drag out. The 2nd Quartile because for every entertaining filler episode, there is a story arc that adds forced drama. The final one, because it drags out the conclusion way too long. The last 2 episodes really could have been merged, as nothing of note happens in them.

*I missed 8 episodes in the middle due to scratched netflix discs but I am not going to worry about it too much.
A 96 episode show is certainly giant. That would be longer than anything I think I've watched. How dated is it in terms of storytelling?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom