• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

General Webcomic Discussion Thread III - Suddenly Updating Again!

Gojira

in a rubber monster suit
RPGnet Member
Validated User
That's reasonable. Still, some authors manage it just fine, or bring in guest comics, or do simple sketches, or whatever. But I guess in a creative medium, there's going to be more than one solution to many things.
Simple sketches is a great idea, I think I might suggest it next time it happens. I'd also suggest to an author that they update their comic page with news. One author that comes to mind is updating sporadically on Twitter, but her comics are dead as a doornail right now, which isn't a great look.

But it's hard to know each individual's situation too. Some don't like to release sub-par work, and some folks are doing web comics more as a means of self expression and sometimes self-therapy. Their lives tend to be more of a mess.

not a pumpkin

Validated User
I'm not really on board with the idea that readers are owed regular updates from artists outputting free content.

I understand that when you manually check webcomics the process of visiting the site when you expect an update and there isn't one, and you don't know if it's just late or not coming can be frustrating, but keeping up with content via rss lets your drop those expectations and just enjoy the comics that do get made, while slowly forgetting about the comics which aren't updating.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Star Power always takes a chapter break for planning and work-ahead purposes, so part of it is to ensure there's no disruption mid-story, so I'm fine with their handling of it. Breaks are part of the schedule, straight-up.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
in other comics news, Empowered, Vol. 6, Page 43

...Shit just got real as Deathmonger formally enters the story

Eled the Worm Tamer

Spider Jeruselem's Warior
Validated User
This is Sam's recounting of a myth, not an accurate depiction of things that actually happened.
And like most really old myths, its serving as a way to encode useful information: how to transport fire, that mishandled it spreads, that people will see an open flame from far away which can inhibit stealth at night, that in day time its smoke plume will betray position as well, and that even without risk of spreading a fire in an enclosed space poses risks.

The whole elaborate traps and theft from gods thing is just there to hold listener attention while important knowledge about a then-new technology is passed along.

Kreuzritter

Validated User
It's hard to believe, now, that all the way back in volume 1 the Homies were planning an attack on that nightmare like it was just another Tuesday.
To be fair, the core team are like the cast of Archer, where they're packing both a lot of power and just enough competence that they can brute force most problems, even if they're raging dumpster fires in every other way

Crinos

Next to me you're all number two!
Validated User
Plus I get the feeling Warren hadn't really developed Deathmonger yet beyond just a name. They were probably originally some random jabroney, not the dark necromancer they would become.

Top Bottom