• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

Genlock Discussion Thread: Mechs vs the Union

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Rooster Teeth's new show Gen:Lock, staring Michael B. Jordan and David Tennent has dropped! For subscribers at least- there's some nice trailers for non-subscribers.

Genlock by Rooster Teeth

Rules of the thread, spoiler blocks for the first day after release.

Last edited:

Falkus

Validated User
Just to offer up a minor correction, the first episode's free for the general public, the second and subsequent episodes will only be for subscribers.

Qwa'ha Xahn

High King of the Known Worlds
Validated User
Just to offer up a minor correction, the first episode's free for the general public, the second and subsequent episodes will only be for subscribers.
What’s the deal there? Have they given up ever putting things on YouTube? I’ve been waiting on watching RWBY season 6 because the Rooster Teeth site doesn’t work nearly as well as Youtube. I figured things would get released there a week or few after their site, but am waiting for something that’s not gonna happen?

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
What’s the deal there? Have they given up ever putting things on YouTube? I’ve been waiting on watching RWBY season 6 because the Rooster Teeth site doesn’t work nearly as well as Youtube. I figured things would get released there a week or few after their site, but am waiting for something that’s not gonna happen?
Yes they gave up on putting the animated series on YT.
I think the Know and related stuff gets uploaded.

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I'm sold. It looks amazing. I love the way they present the tech (virtual performances, battlefield hacking rifles, weaponized nanotech, integrated ocular subtitles, people's eye color changing to show they're a virtual projection, etc.). Character designs that, to steal a description of Overwatch, look cyberpunk by way of Pixar. Love the characterization so far.

Falkus

Validated User
It won't be uploaded to YouTube, because of the financial changes on YouTube's side. I'm not clear on the specific details, but as I understand it, it's much less profitable for them to use YouTube as a medium.

Well, I'm sold. It looks amazing. I love the way they present the tech (virtual performances, battlefield hacking rifles, weaponized nanotech, integrated ocular subtitles, people's eye color changing to show they're a virtual projection, etc.). Character designs that, to steal a description of Overwatch, look cyberpunk by way of Pixar. Love the characterization so far.
Agreed, they've really hooked me.

Spoiler: Show
I was not expecting what happened to Chase. It was a genuinely surprising twist and exceedingly interesting development. And when I look back at the preview material, I can see all the little hints about it. Very well done.

CaButler

Validated User
One thing to note is about the performances. Mainly, with Michael B. Jordan. I think it might have been me, but in the first episode, he sounded rather stiff, like he wasn't comfortable with what he was doing. That's not to say he was phoning it in, because it did seem like he was trying, but that he was still working things out. But he sounded much better in episode 2, either because he got more comfortable, or he got some extra time in the booth or help from the staff.

Now for some episode 2 spoilers.

We still don't know much about the war other than "things are bad". But hey, guys! Chase is still alive... if by alive you mean stuck living in a life support pod because half of his body was eaten by nanobots, then yay!

But wow, you'd think they'd allow Blaine's character to keep going for a while, but I suppose he served his purpose, that the Gen:Lock process is extremely dangerous and that only a select few can actually use it without getting horribly killed by it. But I do appreciate the out of the box thinking on both Chase and Weller's part. Chase uploading himself and waiting for the guy in the hanger, while Weller figured out that his original recruit was killed and just let the spy try to take one of the mechs, knowing full well what would happen, given that the odds that this guy was compatible was astronomically small.

Praetorian

Go Rangers!
Validated User
That was, easily, the best premier of any show I have seen in about 10 years. Legitimately exhilarating and exciting to watch. Great art. Great pacing. Cool characters that made decisions appropriate to their environment. All in all just great.

Polychrome

Internet Pacifist
Validated User
Yeah, that was pretty snazzy, and very pretty in general. Though I have serious doubts about the Polity's strategic planning if a Union army can show up in New York unannounced.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Yeah, that was pretty snazzy, and very pretty in general. Though I have serious doubts about the Polity's strategic planning if a Union army can show up in New York unannounced.

They seemed to have some stealth or something to fool the systems- the Vanguard had no idea how the big mech got so close. And of course, there’s spies and traitors, like the guy on the street with the badge.

Top Bottom