Genlock Discussion Thread: Mechs vs the Union

CaButler

Validated User
...have we actually established that the Union uses brainwashing on its rank&file, rather than conjecture?
At the moment it’s conjecture. We just assumed due to Nemesis!Chase possibly being brainwashed, but the other two examples, Yaz and Sinclair, don’t seem to be brainwashed. Or at least, not in the way we normally think.

PauloDeWalshio

Validated User
So I binged all of gen:Lock today, and I really like it, but I feel like it has some problems with length. It kinda feels like it was written with the intention that either the episodes would have longer run times or that the season as a whole would have more episodes in it, but for whatever reason, the length of the episodes/season had to be shortened. I might have just missed/forgot some stuff, but it felt like some elements just came out of nowhere (like how Doctor Weller was apparently teaching Cammy about the mechanics behind gen:Lock) and that some characters were meant to have more screen time to get us invested in them (Leon is the big one for me). Maybe it was a budget thing since I can't imagine getting people like Michael B. Jordon on as main characters (a fact that I'm still not fully over because seriously, that's absurdly awesome) and having the show look as good as it does was cheap. But, as I said, I enjoyed it, and I'll happily watch a second season. I just hope that in future they either get more time per episode and/or more episodes per season so that the series has room to breathe, or that they write with the time limitations they have in mind.

Some random thoughts I had over the course of my binge watch:
It might be due to the type of media I consume, but I'm almost certain that this is the first time I've ever seen a genderfluid character represented in anything I've watched/read/played/etc. I can't speak for how well Val/entina works as representation, but looking around the web I've not seen any major complaints about that aspect of their character. Props to the writers for that, 'cause it seems like they nailed it.

Man, Chase just cannot catch a break, can he? I'm genuinely surprised that they committed to having him be stuck outside of his body forever. Of course, we saw in a flashback that Doctor Weller's first prototype Holon was the size of a person, so who knows, maybe he'll at least get a regular sized body to walk around in between missions?

If we don't get a scene similar to Mako's flashback in Pacific Rim when two of the character's mindshare in future, I'll genuinely be pretty disappointed. Preferably involving Kazu and/or Cammy, since it feels like we currently know the least about them out of everyone.

I hope the real Sinclair being trapped in Union territory leads to them getting more fleshed out in future. I don't really need or want them to be morally ambiguous or secretly the good guys all along, but it'd be nice to know who's in charge and if they have any goals beyond conquest. It'd also offer a good opportunity to see what civilian life is like in Union territory (Yaz's parents getting arrested for being 'intellectuals' was especially interesting to me).

So the Ether's basically just a way more advanced VRChat? That...actually makes a lot of sense, all things considered. I liked how they all had differently designed goggles for entering the Ether. Makes sense since, y'know, it's not like everyone nowadays uses only one type of phone/computer/etc. The references to other Rooster Teeth properties was pretty cute.

The implication that the Union has a bunch of other copies of Chases lying about is, uh, troubling, to say the least. Although it does make me wonder, why only deploy one of them in a Holon at a time? It's probably due to them being unable to reverse engineer more Holons, or that they thought the combination of a Holon and their nanotech would be enough (and to be fair, it almost was), but it's still odd to me.

Caliban's definitely gonna become more sentient in future...and he's probably gonna have an existential crisis in the process.

If Sinclair does end up becoming the team's 6th member (I can't imagine it'll be Leon, even if he comes out of his coma), he's probably not going to be especially friendly towards Yaz, huh? That would be fun to watch.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So I binged all of gen:Lock today, and I really like it, but I feel like it has some problems with length. It kinda feels like it was written with the intention that either the episodes would have longer run times or that the season as a whole would have more episodes in it, but for whatever reason, the length of the episodes/season had to be shortened. I might have just missed/forgot some stuff, but it felt like some elements just came out of nowhere (like how Doctor Weller was apparently teaching Cammy about the mechanics behind gen:Lock) and that some characters were meant to have more screen time to get us invested in them (Leon is the big one for me).
Cammie was lying- she's just using the stuff that Migas sent her and she'd been learning/staying up late on. Who's going to tell them that the Doc hasn't been personally training her on the side? Weller?

Leon's pretty minor until his hail-mary (though he is one of the three Strider pilots we see regularly, aside from Miranda and Jodie), but I think that's kinda the point, to show a rank-and-file thrown in, one singled out as 'compatible but too old,' before as an "Oooh, THAT!" callback. Also he is acted by the director.

Falkus

Validated User
Just finished watching with my DnD group... and damn, that was a good episode. We were on the edge of our seats the whole time.

Praetorian

Go Rangers!
Validated User
So I binged all of gen:Lock today, and I really like it, but I feel like it has some problems with length. It kinda feels like it was written with the intention that either the episodes would have longer run times or that the season as a whole would have more episodes in it, but for whatever reason, the length of the episodes/season had to be shortened. I might have just missed/forgot some stuff, but it felt like some elements just came out of nowhere (like how Doctor Weller was apparently teaching Cammy about the mechanics behind gen:Lock) and that some characters were meant to have more screen time to get us invested in them (Leon is the big one for me).
Right there with you. Leon's sacrifice didnt really carry emotional oomph to it.

EvilAuthor

Validated User
At the moment it’s conjecture. We just assumed due to Nemesis!Chase possibly being brainwashed, but the other two examples, Yaz and Sinclair, don’t seem to be brainwashed. Or at least, not in the way we normally think.
Another piece of evidence happens during the Dallas battle. When Cammy drops the radio tower on a bunch of Union infantry, most of the infantry points their guns up as if shooting the falling tower would do anything, but a couple Union troops actually dive out of the way like any sane person with a sense of self preservation. The guys pointing their guns up are guessed to be brainwashed soldiers because any normal soldier would be the ones trying to get out of the way. The guys who actually dived out of the way are presumably officers with actual free will (aka, they're not brainwashed) who direct the brainwashed troops.

CaButler

Validated User
Another piece of evidence happens during the Dallas battle. When Cammy drops the radio tower on a bunch of Union infantry, most of the infantry points their guns up as if shooting the falling tower would do anything, but a couple Union troops actually dive out of the way like any sane person with a sense of self preservation. The guys pointing their guns up are guessed to be brainwashed soldiers because any normal soldier would be the ones trying to get out of the way. The guys who actually dived out of the way are presumably officers with actual free will (aka, they're not brainwashed) who direct the brainwashed troops.
It could be a case that the Union does a general point of indoctrination, but only does major brainwashing when it's needed. In the case of Yaz and Spy!Sinclair, it could be that they were loyal enough to the Union that it wasn't needed for them, but somebody like regular Sinclair or anybody who is captured by the Union gets the full treatment. But at this point, it's all conjecture, but there's a strong possibility of that being true.

EvilAuthor

Validated User
It could be a case that the Union does a general point of indoctrination, but only does major brainwashing when it's needed. In the case of Yaz and Spy!Sinclair, it could be that they were loyal enough to the Union that it wasn't needed for them, but somebody like regular Sinclair or anybody who is captured by the Union gets the full treatment. But at this point, it's all conjecture, but there's a strong possibility of that being true.
Well duh. You don't use brainwashing on people who are already loyal to you!

macd21

Validated User
Cammie was lying- she's just using the stuff that Migas sent her and she'd been learning/staying up late on. Who's going to tell them that the Doc hasn't been personally training her on the side? Weller?
Yeah, this struck me as ‘we totally don’t have a robot packed with a sliver of Weller’s identity + all of his gen:lock work! No, he just like ‘mentoring’ a 17 year old girl...’

Top Bottom