Genlock Discussion Thread: Mechs vs the Union

EvilAuthor

Validated User
Yeah, this struck me as ‘we totally don’t have a robot packed with a sliver of Weller’s identity + all of his gen:lock work! No, he just like ‘mentoring’ a 17 year old girl...’
I read that more as, "I want to get my designs produced and the Holons customized the way I want them to, so I'll pretend I have the authority to get those changes done because everyone who can contradict me is either dead or my comrade in arms."

Also, I'm wondering if Holcroft actually believed Cammy or if he just played along because he didn't care and built his entire fortune on letting talented people exercise their talents. I take his "Isn't that convenient?" line as the latter.

And given Cammie's talents, she might very well become the lead researcher on improving gen:Lock, making her lie true after the fact.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Cammie never even told the team, so I think the only one who could shoot her down is Migas!

CaButler

Validated User
Cammie never even told the team, so I think the only one who could shoot her down is Migas!
Well, technically, he did give her the programs needed to make her own designs, so you could say she was made part of the support staff, too.

But yeah, Cammie was selling the lie, and thanks to her own background, she could sell it quite well.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Just caught up on the last 2 eps. The ending was everything I'd hoped for and I'm now waiting for a next season of Gen:Lock with the same lack of patience I wait for the next season of RWBY with. :D

I'm expecting that we'll see multi-Chase clone mechs next season, and with the mind merge having a serious uptime drain it's somewhat self-regulating on why it's not the "We Win" button, but I've got to wonder when/if we'll see the Union find some neuro-plastic pilots (or just people who can successful upload at all) who can challenge the team by meeting them at the same level.

macd21

Validated User
Just caught up on the last 2 eps. The ending was everything I'd hoped for and I'm now waiting for a next season of Gen:Lock with the same lack of patience I wait for the next season of RWBY with. :D

I'm expecting that we'll see multi-Chase clone mechs next season, and with the mind merge having a serious uptime drain it's somewhat self-regulating on why it's not the "We Win" button, but I've got to wonder when/if we'll see the Union find some neuro-plastic pilots (or just people who can successful upload at all) who can challenge the team by meeting them at the same level.
I think it’ll be awhile, as I suspect they don’t know how to identify suitable candidates, and even if they did, how to transfer a consciousness. That’s why they wanted to capture Weller, and why they’re so dependent on the Chase copy. They don’t have the expertise to develop the tech on their own.

I also suspect it’s why Sinclair is still alive. They were planning on keeping him around until they had the upload tech, then torture-mod his uploaded psych into submission before unleashing him on the Polity.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think it’ll be awhile, as I suspect they don’t know how to identify suitable candidates, and even if they did, how to transfer a consciousness. That’s why they wanted to capture Weller, and why they’re so dependent on the Chase copy. They don’t have the expertise to develop the tech on their own.

Which gets into SinclairSpy’s game. SinclairSpy would grant them a second copy-base, perhaps promising him a form of immortality, and one more stable and less twitchy. Heck, perhaps a squad of SinclairSpies later on, if he can get along with himself unlike Nemesis, or perhaps he could partner with Nemesis.

All foiled by not knowing how candidates work.

EvilAuthor

Validated User

We might see more than one Chase clone mech next season, but I doubt we'll see more than one at a time. At least not in the field. Why?

Well think about it. How well do you think a bunch of Chase copies are going to work together when they're all brainwashed to "KILL THE COPY!"

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
We might see more than one Chase clone mech next season, but I doubt we'll see more than one at a time. At least not in the field. Why?

Well think about it. How well do you think a bunch of Chase copies are going to work together when they're all brainwashed to "KILL THE COPY!"
They might have to hobble them/do more work on them.

macd21

Validated User

I suspect we may get into some truly weird transhuman stuff with Unity Chase, like a squad of holons controlled by Chases that have merged so much that they’re practically one mind.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Something that occurred to me last night: given that the Union can copy Chase, I think we have every reason to assume that original Chase is still in their clutches in an undamage, uncorrupted state.

Why? Well from a practical perspective, why would you risk breaking the one working mind you have when you can risk breaking a copy instead? More importantly though, from a dramatic perspective, think of the angst for our Chase when they recover the original and he's still compatible with the remains of his body because he's been shut down and unchanging since he was caught.

Top Bottom