Genlock Discussion Thread: Mechs vs the Union

EvilAuthor

Validated User
Something that occurred to me last night: given that the Union can copy Chase, I think we have every reason to assume that original Chase is still in their clutches in an undamage, uncorrupted state.

Why? Well from a practical perspective, why would you risk breaking the one working mind you have when you can risk breaking a copy instead? More importantly though, from a dramatic perspective, think of the angst for our Chase when they recover the original and he's still compatible with the remains of his body because he's been shut down and unchanging since he was caught.
And of course the other Chase is angsting because he just missed out on four years of life. And of course Miranda has moved on.

Oh, and he'll also have our Chase's Season 1 issues with mind sharing, so he will at first refuse to share memories with our Chase in order to catch up on events for fear of losing himself.

dreamfarer

Man of Two Worlds
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And of course the other Chase is angsting because he just missed out on four years of life. And of course Miranda has moved on.

Oh, and he'll also have our Chase's Season 1 issues with mind sharing, so he will at first refuse to share memories with our Chase in order to catch up on events for fear of losing himself.
Yep - and a very justifiable fear that absorbing 4+ years of memories as his own may easily push him past the point where he's compatible with his body, leaving him in the same ghostly state as our Chase.

Although, hmm, maybe Chase's body wouldn't be compatible for original Chase's mind after all - the organic brain had all the experience when copyChase wasn't in a Holon from that time, so it would have changed away from what it was at the time of the mission where original Chase got captured.

Still though, lots of drama to be had from "the original" coming back - especially in terms of whether the any of minds in the Holon can really be called "the original" since they're all basically copies anyways.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Possible. Not sure I agree since that dropship is likely the Union equivalent of a Hornbill, a common heavy transport not limited to carrying just Holons.
Yes, it’s not confirmed. Far from impossible, though, the first mission where they met was just a week or two later.

EvilAuthor

Validated User
Yes, it’s not confirmed. Far from impossible, though, the first mission where they met was just a week or two later.
Not sure I agree with that either since we don't know how long the Episode 4 training montage was. It's not like we saw every meal or every Cammie wakeup scene, just the ones that were either funny or had notable milestones. The first mission could easily be a couple MONTHS after Second Birthday.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Not sure I agree with that either since we don't know how long the Episode 4 training montage was. It's not like we saw every meal or every Cammie wakeup scene, just the ones that were either funny or had notable milestones. The first mission could easily be a couple MONTHS after Second Birthday.
Hm, true, but I get the impression the pressure's fairly heavy and they're getting things going fairly fast. Cammie doesn't have time to learn to be an ok shot, and that doesn't take *that* long.

EvilAuthor

Validated User
Hm, true, but I get the impression the pressure's fairly heavy and they're getting things going fairly fast. Cammie doesn't have time to learn to be an ok shot, and that doesn't take *that* long.
Okay sure. But that could still be a week or two.

Oh wait, I got it: Right before their first actual mission, the characters were discussing what to do on their first time off from training. Now what would logically be the first time a group of trainees would have for a break from training? Their first weekend of course!

But not their literal first weekend, aka, not the actual first Saturday and/or Sunday. Or at least not their actual first Saturday/Sunday at the Anvil unless certain other conditions apply. No, given the military setting and it being wartime, the pressure is on to get the GL team as much training as possible before giving them a break. So their "weekend" break is after putting in a full work week's training. And for an active military in wartime, that would be six days, not five, starting the day after Second Birthday. And it would be pure coincidence if that day off happened to be a Saturday or Sunday.

GaoGaiGar

Is anyone REALLY a
Validated User
Just binged it myself on Crunchyroll, and I have a premium 48 hour preview code if anyone wants to check it out. Somewhat unlikely this deep in the thread, but hey!

A screenshot from the end of episode 8 that I feel is revealing about the Union:

Spoiler: Show

That says to me they don't have transhuman methods of insuring compliance among the citizens. It's just manual oppression with soldiers in the streets and propaganda on the airwaves, just more immediate. "If you obey us, we won't kill you horribly with nanotech" is the message received by people in New York, as seen by flashing the badge. It also says they're worried about insurgency.

The political map didn't show them anywhere near eastern Europe, which struck me as odd regarding Val's past.

Top Bottom