Genlock Discussion Thread: Mechs vs the Union

Polychrome

Internet Pacifist
Validated User
What's kinda weird is that the Polity was strategically caught with its pants down, but was tactically prepared. Like, the striders had defenses against the nanotech, and the infantry had been trained in what to do if their heavy weapons bot gets hacked.
What's also odd is that judging by the map after the time skip the Union is attempting to push across the Appalachians, which doesn't make sense. After securing the eastern seaboard the thing to do would be to swing around to the gulf coast and take New Orleans and maybe Galveston. This gives you control of the Mississippi and once you get out of the swamp, drive all the way to Canada.
I suspect the writers did not put a lot of thought into the strategic situation.

CaButler

Validated User
What's kinda weird is that the Polity was strategically caught with its pants down, but was tactically prepared. Like, the striders had defenses against the nanotech, and the infantry had been trained in what to do if their heavy weapons bot gets hacked.
What's also odd is that judging by the map after the time skip the Union is attempting to push across the Appalachians, which doesn't make sense. After securing the eastern seaboard the thing to do would be to swing around to the gulf coast and take New Orleans and maybe Galveston. This gives you control of the Mississippi and once you get out of the swamp, drive all the way to Canada.
I suspect the writers did not put a lot of thought into the strategic situation.
It's possible the Vanguard has already thought of it and hardened the defenses around New Orleans and other Gulf cities so much that any attempt to try to take those cities would result in more losses than is acceptable. In episode one, if you look at around 23:23 (I'll provide a screen shot later, when I can), you'll see a map of the US, including Union occupied territory. It shows a good chunk of the Florida Panhandle (Hey, what happened to Florida? Did somebody blow it up again!?) appears to be under Vanguard control, including a number of gulf states. You'll also see a bigger section sticking out further north, just past Michigan (though that state hasn't been taken yet, surprisingly enough).

But we'll have to wait to see if anybody brings this up, if at all. It's probably best not to think too hard about these things... though I'm still thinking about what happened to Florida in this world. What does RT have against that state to begin with?

Coyote's Own

RPG.net's friendly neighborhood Nuwisha.
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Spoiler: Show

They seemed to have some stealth or something to fool the systems- the Vanguard had no idea how the big mech got so close. And of course, there’s spies and traitors, like the guy on the street with the badge.

I don't think the guy on the street was spy or traitor.
IIRC New York was referred to as a free City, so he probably was just a Union citizen who flashed his citizen if in hope of saving his familly

Sbloyd

Validated User

I don't think the guy on the street was spy or traitor.
IIRC New York was referred to as a free City, so he probably was just a Union citizen who flashed his citizen if in hope of saving his familly
I think so too - pretty sure I saw a Union ad playing on one of the marquee screens as the camera panned by.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
His badge served as an IFF for nanites, and his wife seemed shocked and mad he pulled a union badge. Maybe not 'spy' but observer or something akin to that.

Btw, does anyone have suggestions for a title? I threw this one up quick because we needed a thread.

Last edited:

CaButler

Validated User
His badge served as an IFF for nanites, and his wife seemed shocked and mad he pulled a union badge. Maybe not 'spy' but observer or something akin to that.

Btw, does anyone have suggestions for a title? I threw this one up quick because we needed a thread.
I probably who have played with "The American Gundam Series," except that Exosquad was already that. Then again, that show was so long ago I'd be surprised anybody knows it.

But we do want to go funny with the titles. So how about "Michael B. Jordan fulfills his dream of piloting a giant robot"? Maybe that's too long.

Let me get back to you on that.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
So we got a team of five 'Rangers' as it were, but Chase isn't Red! Does this make Iida Kazu the leader?

Top Bottom