Genlock Discussion Thread: Mechs vs the Union

Aikireikinu

Tsundere Cat
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Episode 3 is up!

Spoiler: Show
No fighty time, but the team gets put together, a time limit appears, some more characterization, and a drama bomb fuse is lit.

St.Just

Lacking all conviction
Validated User
I went through Gray's latest post about it, and if I understood it correctly, it does sound like the rest of the season will be behind the First paywall. But we'll find out for sure on Saturday.
And looks like it is, pity.

Rainfall

Validated User
Honest question. Let's say I'm not a RWBY fan, I don't hate it, it's just not my thing. But that Gen-Lock thing looks mighty fine.

Is it worth the subscribtion? Given that I'm going to delve in the rest of the content after the sunk cost fallacy sets in? :p

CaButler

Validated User
Honest question. Let's say I'm not a RWBY fan, I don't hate it, it's just not my thing. But that Gen-Lock thing looks mighty fine.

Is it worth the subscribtion? Given that I'm going to delve in the rest of the content after the sunk cost fallacy sets in? :p
One thing you can do is wait for the entire series to be released, then get a free thirty day trial and binge it. After that, you can see some of the other content they have. Like Let's Plays? That's Achievement Hunter, who also have their own ghost show because why not? They also have other content from other creators, as well as some others that are behind the paywall.

They have other animated content, as well, and typically, as first members, you'll get everything about a day or week earlier, depending on the show.

But here we go with episode 3.

Spoiler: Show
Certainly a cool down episode, but we get to see the team in motion, as well as a Who speech from Weller. And, of course, looks like we got some relationship drama on the way. Voice acting wise it's a step up from episode 1, that's for sure, and I know many weren't in a booth together, but there's some good chemistry going between some of the characters there.

redwulf25_ci

Clown Pope of Wushu
Validated User
You should be more grateful Kazoo, I bet that's a shitload of manga. Maybe a little high on the yaoi content but a shitload of manga.

Packrat

Validated User
🔴 Warning Threadban for excessive negativity/threadcrapping
I watched the first episode and have to admit it seems kind of 'extruded anime product' but with a really high budget and good voice actors.

Somebody obviously put a lot of effort into, for example, cool as fuck VTOL fighter aircraft things and how they can maneuver, but nobody put any thought into the actual plot or ensuring that the conflicts and similar were anything but nonsensical. As just one example they have the EMP thing that turns off all the nanotech, apparently it does this across an entire battlefield, so why do they try to use it while buzzing a giant robot covered in guns that priorities the EMP thing as it charges?

Plus not too impressed by giant robots that fight each other by slowly blundering around and repeatedly shooting each other with guns that seem to just sort of explode without significant impact across the other giant robot. Not to mention the weird inconsistency in effectiveness. The female lead character blows up multiple of the (SUPER EVIL LOOKING) bad guy robots in the first battle despite being outnumbered then in the second it is three good guy robots vs two bad guy robots and the good guys get absolutely massacred without apparent effect against the enemy.

Plus the regular 'The bad guys apparently magically teleport to the attack then put massive effort into personally murdering evacuating civilians. Despite also deploying a weapon that is disintegrating everyone anyway'.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I watched the first episode and have to admit it seems kind of 'extruded anime product' but with a really high budget and good voice actors.

Somebody obviously put a lot of effort into, for example, cool as fuck VTOL fighter aircraft things and how they can maneuver, but nobody put any thought into the actual plot or ensuring that the conflicts and similar were anything but nonsensical. As just one example they have the EMP thing that turns off all the nanotech, apparently it does this across an entire battlefield, so why do they try to use it while buzzing a giant robot covered in guns that priorities the EMP thing as it charges?

Plus not too impressed by giant robots that fight each other by slowly blundering around and repeatedly shooting each other with guns that seem to just sort of explode without significant impact across the other giant robot. Not to mention the weird inconsistency in effectiveness. The female lead character blows up multiple of the (SUPER EVIL LOOKING) bad guy robots in the first battle despite being outnumbered then in the second it is three good guy robots vs two bad guy robots and the good guys get absolutely massacred without apparent effect against the enemy.

Plus the regular 'The bad guys apparently magically teleport to the attack then put massive effort into personally murdering evacuating civilians. Despite also deploying a weapon that is disintegrating everyone anyway'.
Or alternatively, the EMP thing has ranged limits so they've got to do it near the dispersal point of the cloud to maximize what they get... and battles are chaotic and don't always go the same way... nor does 'prevent people from leaving' and 'use a high-casualty weapon' seem particularly contradictory... are you here to discuss or just crap on the show? It seems to me like you're making a lot of assumptions to declare it nonsensical.

Ah, you know what?

Moderator Text:

Leave the thread, this definitely goes against our initiative to make OM a less-negative place.

squidheadjax

Social Justice Cultist
RPGnet Member
Validated User
You should be more grateful Kazoo, I bet that's a shitload of manga. Maybe a little high on the yaoi content but a shitload of manga.
I loved that whole exchange.

Really liking the series so far.

I'd like a little more worldbuilding to make the stakes more clear - what and why is the Union? The Polity is sparsely but clearly represented as the UN upgraded to an actual government, though its nature and why that happened are also left open still. The Union kinda seems to have more advanced tech but I think it's more that there seems to be a lot less of a human touch to it, which makes me wonder.

But fortunately the characters have really popped for me, and the opening episode was a great example of character-scale worldbuilding, setting up the kind of future it is.

I like the giant mecha pilots but I hope Dakota Fanning's character continues to have a prominent role besides just the love interest.

Q99

Genderpunk
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I loved that whole exchange.

Really liking the series so far.

I'd like a little more worldbuilding to make the stakes more clear - what and why is the Union? The Polity is sparsely but clearly represented as the UN upgraded to an actual government, though its nature and why that happened are also left open still. The Union kinda seems to have more advanced tech but I think it's more that there seems to be a lot less of a human touch to it, which makes me wonder.

But fortunately the characters have really popped for me, and the opening episode was a great example of character-scale worldbuilding, setting up the kind of future it is.

I like the giant mecha pilots but I hope Dakota Fanning's character continues to have a prominent role besides just the love interest.
I like that we’re getting hints of the Union- I feel we *will* know even if we don’t yet. The characters know, and it’s coming out in their words, so we’re slowly getting the picture.

not a pumpkin

Validated User
My main issue is that I hadn't really seen any media or build up before the pilot and it made me want to want a series about Dakota Fanning's grizzled veteran mech pilot.

This series I'm getting seems pretty decent though, and realistically, I'm not sure Rooster Teeth would be the show runners to pull that off anyway.

Top Bottom