[Genre]What does it mean to be METAL!?

unodiablo

Sweet Zombie Jesus
Rent the movies Doomsday and DeathRace. You'll lose a couple IQ points, but you will be totally prepared for a METAL game of Hell On Earth, and it's better for you than listening to Slayer and High on Fire until your ears begin bleeding.

Unless you're into that sort of thing - I kinda like both. :eek:

Feste

Disallowed Fool
Validated User
What does it mean to be METAL? What do I need to include to achieve this all-caps aesthetic? What subtle shifts and tones need to fill my every description?
You may only need to watch The Road Warrior and Six String Samurai to prepare. Add the aforementioned spikes and skulls to your descriptions, and let your players supply the soundtrack.

Subtle shifts and tones are out. Turn it up to 11, 'cause it's better to burn out than to fade away.

Scarik

You die as you live.
Validated User
You may only need to watch The Road Warrior and Six String Samurai to prepare. Add the aforementioned spikes and skulls to your descriptions, and let your players supply the soundtrack.

Subtle shifts and tones are out. Turn it up to 11, 'cause it's better to burn out than to fade away.
Turning it to 11 is by far the most crucial component.

Once you're ready to go balls to the wall you need to only decide if its power metal or black metal for the sound track.

I use both. :D

Hammersmithpalais

Retired User
You'll need:

1. A one way ticket to midnight.
2. It will have to be higher than high so as to feel just right.
3. A considerable amount of desperation on a red line.

Only then can you call it Heavy Metal.

Last edited:

selfcritical

Validated User
First off, play the following music to truly be METAL (at least according to the customer's of the music store I work at):
- Iron Maiden
- Black Sabbath (Ozzy and Dio eras only)
- Judas Priest...and by extension, Halford (and/or the first Fight album)
- Manowar
- Iced Earth
- potentially Slayer (if you want to go a little darker)
- Motorhead (if you can deal with Lemmy's voice)

Don't play anything else.

Have every badguy have long, flowing or curly hair that is rarely combed properly. All goodguys have weapons that subtly remind one of an instrument (a shotgun slung over the shoulder like a guitar; two billy clubs that remind someone of drum sticks).

There's lots of leather pants (very tight, but not "David-Bowie-in-Labyrinth tight"), probably some spikes here and there, and people's voices are ridiculous. Preferably sing-songy, but not in a musical theater way...unless they're the badguy, then it's okay for them to sing really well but still be cool, like Sebastian Bach from Skid Row.

Good luck.
Amon Amarth.

Pure Viking Fucking Metal.

selfcritical

Validated User
Rent the movies Doomsday and DeathRace. You'll lose a couple IQ points, but you will be totally prepared for a METAL game of Hell On Earth, and it's better for you than listening to Slayer and High on Fire until your ears begin bleeding.

Unless you're into that sort of thing - I kinda like both. :eek:
High on Fire was possibly the worst live band I have ever seen. I was made to understand later that they were completely drunk, but they sucked it long and hard.

Wields-Rulebook-Heavily

Validated User
There is absolutely no gradiance in metal, and everything is dealt with in absolutes. Men are never just fit; they're either muscled and lean supermen or bent-spined weaklings. Things are either perfectly spotless or horribly filthy, and I do mean horribly-strange things will crawl in the mud caked in your hair, and they will be eaten by other things hiding in there. If things must go from one state to the other, they will do so nearly instantly-there's no intermediate state where something is just a little filthy or torn. A dress will not get a little rip; It will be torn into strategically placed shreds the moment a weapon so much as touches it.

Similarly, there is no gradiance between good and evil. For a properly metal viewpoint, of course, there is no good; there's "getting by" evil, which is what your average wandering warrior (and they are always wanderers) uses to get by as a common thief and mercenary and then there's "filthy, stinking and probably sorcerous" evil, complete with mutated hunchbacks who may or may not be the actual sorcerer whose house you're raiding.

Magic is, of course, pretty uniformly foul. Religion should be approached like the pop-culture image of the kind of druidism that practices human sacrifice, with just the backdrops changing depending on how "civilized" the religion is. You can have standing circles of stones with a bloodied altar at the center or great massive temples with impenetrable sacrifice pits. Ifthe religion isn't like this, the gods are portrayed as distant uncaring figures indifferent to your fate.

There are no common names. There is no innkeeper Jack; There's only innkeeper Bowelrot. Names which aren't as festively descriptive are festooned with hard K sounds, lots of Th's and ümläütëd vovels. A first name should be two syllables, the second descriptive- "The Barbarian", "Bloodguts", etc. It's a parody, but the RPGnet meme Killfuck Soulshitter fits this naming scheme perfectly.

There are no purely graceful movements. Warriors do not dance their way through a crowd of enemies without invoking descriptions of split bowels and pierced eyes. The more brutal the weapon, the messier it gets. The iconic weapon of metal is the battleaxe (which may or may not also be a guitar, depending on how serious you're taking it).

It should rain a lot. A lot. When it isn't raining, there's either dramatic thunderstorms or a vista of impressive or impossible landscapes under an oddly colored sky. Landscapes are, as everything else, defined by extremes. Fauna should be divided into what you can kill to eat, and everything else-and most of those two groups will be actively trying to eat you back. If plants are mentioned at all, it's probably safe to assume they're hazardous in some way.

Top Bottom