Getting Started with Rifts

TankCR

Validated User
Greetings all!
I have decided to introduce my wife and kids to Pen & Paper RPG. As a kid my little brother and I played Rifts, and I remember loving it very much. However; after picking up the Ultimate Edition book I realized I would first have to re-introduce myself, lol. Apparently it is not like riding a bike, and 25+ years may have been a little too long...
So... Where to get started, I can already tell that if I just straight up try to read this book and figure it all out myself I, or more family, will probably get frustrated and quit before we are even started.
I am hoping that this community can give me a nudge in the right direction! I found this little gem, but I am afraid that it may be incomplete, or outdated, not sure so posted a question. Beyond that, where do I get started, how should I proceed? Also, where do I get character sheets, I have googled them and found multiple variations, so I am not sure which are the correct, current ones.
:confused::):confused::)

Numanoid

#rocksteadyrollhard
Validated User
RIFTS rules are very much... a product of their time. Not only that, it doesn't even hold up to other systems of its own era, let alone contemporary RPGs. You’re going to end up putting in a lot of effort for little gain.

I’d recommend taking a look at a game called Savage RIFTS - an adaption of RIFTS using the Savage Worlds system. It gets most of that RIFTS feel without feeling like a headache to run.

Last edited:

Octiron

Pariah
Validated User
RIFTS rules are very much... a product of their time. Not only that, it doesn't even hold up to other systems of its own era, let alone contemporary RPGs. You’re going to end up putting in a lot of effort for little gain.

I’d recommend taking a look at a game called Savage RIFTS - an adaption of RIFTS using the Savage Worlds system. It gets most of that RIFTS feel without feeling like a headache to run.
Yeah, if you are going to have to relearn things anyway you might as well just learn a more coherent system like SW.

Last edited:

TankCR

Validated User

Did I waste my money buying the book then? And where do I find SW Rifts, I assume it's not officially sanctioned by Pallidium.

Sabermane

Proud Fianna knight of hope and peace
Validated User
Did I waste my money buying the book then? And where do I find SW Rifts, I assume it's not officially sanctioned by Pallidium.
First off--are you enjoying reading Rifts? Then no, you didn't waste your money.

Second, honestly, if you want to run Rifts using Palladium and your friends and family like it--awesome. Honestly, I've found running Rifts or any Palladium tends to be "uh, roll a die, add some mods, make something up". That could be the perfect system for you. There are problems with the mechanics, but again it's a game and there's no money involved so you can probably wiggle past any mechanical problems.

That said, Savage Worlds, while not my personal favorite, is a much better balanced and (more iportantly) explained mechanic. It also involves more funny shaped dice which can be a big draw. It IS actually sanctioned by Palladium, and you can find it with a quick drivethrurpg seach of Savage Rifts. Or just google that. Or just follow this link where I did that:

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/27/Pinnacle-Entertainment/subcategory/117_25634/Savage-Rifts

Now that I've been all positive--RIFTS and the Palladium mechanics are explained very poorly in most of the books. If you feel overwhelmed, it may not be that you have lost your knack, but instead that the writing is making things confusing. Don't panic and don't be surprised if you hit a "wait...that doesn't make sense with what you jsut told me...". There's a lot of copy-paste work in a lot of Palladium, and it can make things confusing.

If I were forced to run RIFTS using Palladium, I would probably do some changes for myself like changing all the PS abbreviations to more straightforward words like Strength or whatever just to make it easier on everybody, ignore a lot of the extra action elements, ditch some of the more complex ideas, have people make some cool characters with the book as a guideline, and just have them roll a D20 and add some mods. Honestly though, read RIFTS for the cool ideas, put yourself back in the 12 year old kid mindset of "DRAGONS VS MECHA VS SKULLBOT STORMTROOPERS AWESOME!", and run with whatever awesome idea your kids and wife come up with.

TankCR

Validated User
First off--are you enjoying reading Rifts? Then no, you didn't waste your money.
put yourself back in the 12 year old kid mindset of "DRAGONS VS MECHA VS SKULLBOT STORMTROOPERS AWESOME!", and run with whatever awesome idea your kids and wife come up with.
Best advice so far! Once we figure out the most basic of the mechanics, then just have fun! So any chance you or, anyone, can tell me which character sheets online are the correct ones? Also is this any good? https://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?489849-Feed-back-on-um-Microlite-Platinum

Amberpup

Banned
Validated User
For first time players, I would go SW Rifts for the simple reason its so much easier to understand. Pick the character, some writing down stuff and rolling dice, picking which chart and rolling... and we're done. Maybe 30 mins tops, and each book some mini adventures included. SW Rifts is a very focused game, but can get as crazy as the Old Rifts could. Plus any old Rifts books you have, you can use as helpful source books since SW Rifts has yet to fill in a lot of North American. I bought the old Rifts book covering the Mississippi River just in case I ever wanted to do a SW Rifts campaign based near my hometown city of Peoria IL. A good old fashion river pirate story, raiding the rich to sell to the not-so-rich.

Amberpup

Banned
Validated User
So there are alot of SW Rifts books on their site, which one would be the starter book?
Besides all the free stuff on DriveThruRPG.com, I would pick-up 'The Tomorrow Region Player's Guide', 'Game Master's Handbook' from them. Then from your local game store or Amazon, pick-up the physical copy of 'Savage Worlds Deluxe: Explorer's Edition'. My math puts it around $35, which seems a tad much for someone with some Rifts books already but its going to be far less grief at the table.

If you dig in 'Happy Jacks PRG Actual Play' podcasts from last year, they did a short SW Rifts campaign.

Top Bottom