Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Danger Mouse

Social Justice Mouse
Validated User
Is it still set in Greyhawk? I had heard that it was going to be world agnostic. Since I use a home-brew world anyway it does't really matter to me, but it would be interesting to see Greyhawk developed for 5e.
It’s set in Greyhawk, with some suggestions on where to put it in the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Mystara. The “setting agnostic” thing they’ve been touting seems to be mostly a marketing thing, burn I don’t anticipate it being too hard to adapt to another setting.

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User
It’s set in Greyhawk, with some suggestions on where to put it in the Forgotten Realms, Eberron, and Mystara. The “setting agnostic” thing they’ve been touting seems to be mostly a marketing thing, burn I don’t anticipate it being too hard to adapt to another setting.
It is set in Greyhawk and they take sometime to flesh out the area around Saltmarsh. But the info is focused on the local. Think of Sword Coast Adventurer's Guide: set in the realms, but not really a full FR setting book.

Sidebars in each adventure offer suggestions for connecting to other D&D settings, with a few being broader "large port city" type discussions.

D. Archon

Error 404
Validated User
I'm most interested in learning more about this "ship to ship combat", anywhere out there that discusses this?

@robowieland

Follow me on Twitter!
Validated User
I'm most interested in learning more about this "ship to ship combat", anywhere out there that discusses this?
They released an earlier version of the rules as an Unearthed Arcana. I haven't gotten to the part in the book yet so I don;t know what, if anything has changed.

zenopus

Validated User
Some preview "flip thru" videos are up on YT now. The area map for Saltmarsh is simply a color updating (redrawn) of the original one from U2 Danger at Dunwater, and includes the Greyhawk features of the Azure Sea, the Dreadwood and the Hool Marshes. The map even keeps the original hexes, which in U2 were coded to specific WoG hexes! The text further mentions at least the Kingdom of Keoland, a Greyhawk kingdom going back to the pre-Greyhawk Great Kingdom maps.

In a further twist, the've also placed the Tower of Zenopus from the Sample Dungeon in the original (Holmes) 1977 Basic Set across the river mouth from Saltmarsh, and there are four paragraphs setting it up as an adventure locale to be designed by the DM. It's the first time the Tower of Zenopus has been given an official Greyhawk location! My thoughts on this are here:

The Tower of Zenopus in Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Machpants

ExF3Nav
Validated User
You're famous! ;)

That is ideal for some great dungeon designer to convert and publish on DMsGuild

Molotov

Validated User
Picked this one up last night at the flgs. They brought in a bunch of the regular covers and a stack of the alternative Sahuagin covers as well (which I grabbed). I'll about to head out for some coffee and a giving a read. Skimming through, looks fun. More Dyson Logos maps (in part). The ship section in the back - ship stats, crews, combat, travel, and such.

Molotov

Validated User
Can you tell us how many pages are given to the ship stuff - that actually interests me the most. :)
Sure - Appendix A: "Of Ships and the Sea" starts on page 186 and end on 228.

TOC Breakdown
Ship Stat Blocks 186 - Galley, Keelboat Longship, Rowboat, Sailing Ship, and Warship are featured in stat blocks, sample crews, and deck plans
Sample Ships 187 - see above
Officers and Crew 194
Superior Ship Upgrades 196 - Hull, Movement, Weapon, Figurehead and Miscellaneous - at least three options for each, with some having more.
Ships in Combat 198 - pretty basic, this works out about a page - initiative, special officer actions, crew in combat, crashing.
Travel at Sea 199 - travel and hazard stuffs
Ocean Environs 202
Encounters at Sea 207
Random Ships 208
Mysterious Islands 211
Underwater Locatons 214 - this includes a Cove Reef, a Wreck exploration, an an underwater Ruins exploration

Top Bottom