• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Ghosts of Saltmarsh

Walkie Talkie Noise Decoder

There are monkey boys in the facility
Validated User
Interestingly, from the discussions I have seen around the internet, accidentally skipping the entire adventure by figuring out the lizardfolk aren't the bad guys early on and solving things peacefully seems to have been really common, possibly even the most common way that adventure went down.
This is how it happened when I ran it as a teenager. Shortest game evva. It was an eye opener for me and led to much better gaming.

LatinaBunny

Cyberprep Warrior
Validated User
I’m definitely interested in having more aquatic and nautical adventure stuff. :)

Going to finish reading through the thread and look at the reviews of the adventures to see if this might be my cup of tea.

Last edited:

Bomberg

Validated User
I ran DaD two times back in the day, and it was unfolding in pretty much the same way:

1. During the second part of SSoS the players learned about the lizardmen and the smuggling of weapons to their place
  2. They inquired in Saltmarsh about lizardmen in the vicinity and drew a blank, so they surmised that the scalies were new here
  3. They decided to do a mission of reconnaissance first and tried to enter the lair unseen
  4. Curiously, both parties had a dwarf who noticed the stonework in the lair to be pretty new
  5. During their forays both groups learned that the lizardmen were new in this location and hardly fit to start an assault on Saltmarsh
  6. Both groups decided to parley with the chiftain and were prepared to make amends for the (few!) lizard men slain

Zeea

Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
(Edit to reword this to be clearer.)

I basically think the adventure is really cool, but that it works better if the lizardfolk are a little more obviously not hostile and more willing to tell the PCs they don't really want to fight.

Last edited:

junglefowl26

Validated User
(Edit to reword this to be clearer.)

I basically think the adventure is really cool, but that it works better if the lizardfolk are a little more obviously not hostile and more willing to tell the PCs they don't really want to fight.
Plus, in universe they have a big fight coming up against another enemy. It makes sense that they would do everything possible to avoid a confrontation with another faction.

PBWmaia

Validated User
I just looked up the original (1st ed) version which states:
The Council considers it essential that a scouting party be sent to reconnoitre the area to ascertain the strength and size of this colony and the intentions of the lizard men.
The new version includes an additional paragraph with the leader of the council impressing that they are "not required to act with hostile intent--in fact, quite the opposite".

But even the 1st ed version suggests more information gathering than 'go wipe these guys out before they attack us'.

Gilladian

Validated User
I am going to be running the haunted house portion only, over 6 2+ hour sessions for new Players. I would love ideas for small additions, very short side adventures in town or the surrounding terrain, etc... to stretch it out and add to the newbie fun.

Mikko Kauppinen

Validated User
Any comments on running the crocodile hunt in Danger at Dunwater? I am just wondering if the Challenge 6 croc with legendary actions will be too much for a party of five 3rd-level characters (which are recommended for that scenario), who are not combat-optimized at all?

Motorskills

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Any comments on running the crocodile hunt in Danger at Dunwater? I am just wondering if the Challenge 6 croc with legendary actions will be too much for a party of five 3rd-level characters (which are recommended for that scenario), who are not combat-optimized at all?
I have 5-7 players depending on availability. I'm trying to talk myself out of hitting them with the Young Black Dragon* immediately after they take out Thousand Teeth. :D

*I have lots of thoughts on this. In U2 it is an Oriental Dragon, just because. In GoSM the YBD is mentioned once in relation to the Lizardfolk, and is then never mentioned again.

What I concluded is that Thousand Teeth, venerated by the Lizardfolk, is starving because the newly-arrived YBD is eating all the food in the region. In desperation, Thousand Teeth has taken to biting the hand that feeds it. Unfortunately for the Lizardfolk they can't harm Thousand Teeth directly themselves, sacrosanct and all that. If only there were some pitiful adventurers who owe a debt....

Top Bottom