• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Gloomhaven

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
I'm surprised that post was coherent, with how late it was when I was posted. Yeah, I realized today all the possible class combinations were accounted for. Still feels a little odd choosing a group instead of picking my characters- but I guess right now (and maybe always in adventure mode?) you won't be retiring characters.
Agreed, but I guess it's easier for an EA build to put in six parties than have the whole party creation interface. Once the Tinkerer and Mind Thief get added, the number of combinations goes up to 15, so I really hope they add party creation instead of a messy fifteen long options menu.

I do think Adventure mode will be non-retiring though.

The compendium mentions that durability is just for adventure mode. I suppose they could still implement for story mode, but it makes less sense when characters are going to retire and take their stuff with them.
Given the community's response to durability, if that wasn't the dev's plan I am sure it will be now. People hate it.

Breogan

RPGnet Member
Validated User
Same here. :)

Even with how expensive it is, I'd love to get the board game version but there's no longer anyone for me to play it with. :(

-G
Probably would not work for me exactly as it is, as I love to buy new games and try them, but not buying it when it came out became more and more of a regret given the value people I know have gotten out of it. The 2 people that have it that I know are averaging about 120 plays of it each.

Much better value than most I-played-it-once things I have :p

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
Even with how expensive it is, I'd love to get the board game version but there's no longer anyone for me to play it with. :(
Same. I came very close to buying it despite not having anyone to play it with simply because I wanted to own it. Given my income stream is about to go up, I might still do that.

Beckett

Golden Wyvern Adept
Validated User
I have been seeing the game on Miniature Market's daily discount, so it's getting cheaper. I haven't managed to play mine lately, but I think my group of three has played at least 20 scenarios (not counting replays). Despite the cost, it's got to have one of my best money:time ratios.

For the computer game, my brute/spellweaver combo hit level 2, and in my choice of cards I got an X card as well as the level 2. Then I went on my first medium difficulty dungeon, where I got harshly reminded of the difference between 2 rooms and 4 (I was hoping the third room was the end, it looked like I was 2/3 of the way done in there, but then my brute exhausted and I found the last door).

My UI issue is with figuring out if items are working with my powers. It's easy to see if I've used my healing potion or invisibility cloak, but the number of times I've cast a spell thinking I have eagle eyes or my power potion, only to find out, no, no I do not, is frusterating.

nightwyrm

Validated User
Same. I came very close to buying it despite not having anyone to play it with simply because I wanted to own it. Given my income stream is about to go up, I might still do that.
My friend bought the game and we had some very good sessions but given that he's recently became a dad and I'm moving away, I'll be relying on the Steam game to see how the campaign progresses.

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
I'd heard that on adventure mode your hand size doesn't increase, you simply replace cards. It's that true Beckett Beckett ? If so I'd imagine longer dungeons become super hard.

My friend bought the game and we had some very good sessions but given that he's recently became a dad and I'm moving away, I'll be relying on the Steam game to see how the campaign progresses.
I still hope I'll get a group together to play tabletop. I feel like I'd prefer it somehow. My old roleplaying group would have been up for it I'm sure, but they are now a diaspora. Sadly my board gaming friends aren't keen on the idea.

Kath

The Furthest Away
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'd heard that on adventure mode your hand size doesn't increase, you simply replace cards. It's that true Beckett Beckett ? If so I'd imagine longer dungeons become super hard.
Your hand size never increases in Gloomhaven. You add cards to your pool as you level, but you always take the same number of cards from your pool into each scenario.

JerekKruger

Tall
Validated User
Your hand size never increases in Gloomhaven. You add cards to your pool as you level, but you always take the same number of cards from your pool into each scenario.
Ooh, that does make longer adventures a lot tougher. Even in the short scenarios in the early part of adventure mode I was struggling (though that was probably because I didn't realise there were cards which were burnt upon use). You really need to keep the momentum up.

Korhal_IV

Validated User
Ooh, that does make longer adventures a lot tougher. Even in the short scenarios in the early part of adventure mode I was struggling (though that was probably because I didn't realise there were cards which were burnt upon use). You really need to keep the momentum up.
There are ways to recoup lost / discarded cards, although I don't know which of these survived the transition into the digital game. Keep an eye out as you play!

Top Bottom