[Glorantha]Elmal during the Windstop

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
While preparing for a new game, a thought occurred to me - Elmal guarded the stead while Orlanth was in the Underworld. For a long time his light shone on, a beacon of hope and safety amidst the Darkness.

And it got me thinking - isn't the Windstop the same thing on a localized scale? Should it not call for the remaining "loyal thanes" to rise up to the occasion and do as their god once did? As an added bonus, Elmal is a Fire cult so most imperial agents would probably consider a switch to Elmal leaders to be an act of capitulation instead of as a symbol of undying hope for rebellious Orlanthi.

As a related question - if the world conspires to recreate some aspect of a god's mythology, would devotees of that god find their magic strengthened the same way it happens on holy days?

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
That makes sense to me, although I imagine many people would find it uncomfortable to have the Elmal cult confirming the idea that Orlanth is gone. Could also cause interesting complications when the occupation is first repulsed, with people not wanting to loose their new status.

AndrewTBP

You are Number 6
RPGnet Member
Banned
Validated User
Agreed. The Elmali clans in Sartar are: the Enhyl clan of the Colymar tribe, & the Toena clan of the Aranwyth tribe. The Dolutha clan of the Cinsina tribe elected an Elmal chieftain, Ivar Quickstep. Runegate has the biggest Elmal temple. So you can expect the 3 clans that run Runegate to use Elmal Guards the Stead during the Fimbulwinter.
I've used the Narri clan and Runegate for a few HeroQuest games. ;)

Last edited:

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
By the time of the Windstop, most of the Elmal cult in Sartar had long been supplanted by the Yelmalio cult with its "superior" magic. So it's likely there weren't enough Elmali to muster in numbers sufficient for a heroquest -- particularly with the surety of Lunar opposition. No doubt it'd need some sort of experimental heroquest or bringing together the remaining traditionalist Elmali and whatever loyalist Yelmalians can be found to help out the newer converts.

Sounds like a job for PCs, to be sure.

ResplendentScorpion

neither glitter, nor substance
Validated User
By the time of the Windstop, most of the Elmal cult in Sartar had long been supplanted by the Yelmalio cult with its "superior" magic.
YGMV, but I always treat Yelmalios as having "supplanted" only the Elmal King minority cult and more as a plot by Sartarite kings to subvert the wider Yelmalio cult, than as a compromise to appease Elmal King cultists.
Especially since published material continues to have Elmal worshippers (sometimes even as tribal kings) in it and it's perfectly possible to make an Elmal clan with the supposedly-still-canon clan generator.

Aaalso, the Windstop affects more than just Sartar. :)

Maxen M

Somewhere off to the side
Validated User
Oh yeah, about the magical mechanics side of things, I'm not sure what the standard approach is, but I would say that if some mythology is reflected by actual situations, that should still take a ritual of some kind of to mark that and take advantage of it.

Why? Because in games, bonuses the players grab by paying attention to their situation are often better for engagement with the setting than bonuses the GM chucks out to them, and it also means that players have something to do; you can see that a situation favours a particular cult, and then try to disrupt their heroquests by adding in your own stuff trying to add other elements that match the current situation but don't match the myth, or pointing out parts of the myth that don't match the situation. Obvious advantages would be harder to disrupt, and maybe only for short amounts of time.

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User
In something like the Windstop, you throw normal ideas out of the window.

Orlanth's and Ernalda's magic has stopped, it just doesn't work. Since most people in Sartar derive their magic from aspects of Orlanth and Ernalda, they are pretty much stuffed.

This means that minor, sideline cults get to make a difference. Although there aren't that many Elmali left, they would manfully step up and HeroQuest to fill in the gap left by Orlanth dying. Where they do so, they would probably not be opposed, as they have a mythical right. However, where they are opposed, they need to be successful on the HeroQuest.

I can see Doburdum the Loyal Storm playing a similar role, as he guarded the stead and married ernalda while Orlanth was away, then stepped aside when Orlanth returned.

Laminator_X

Validated User
Heck yeah, I say. The Loyal Thanes don't get enough respect, and this would be exactly the sort of thing they were born to do.

A fimbulvinter would also be problem that they'd be better suited to help with than their oh-so-superior Yelmalion cousins. Elmali still have HEAT.

I never really got the idea of mass conversion from Elmal to Yelmallio out of some sense of insecurity at being Orlanth's #2. Some would prefer austere martial life at the Sun Dome, sure, but I can't imagine that a majority of the folks who had dedicated their lives to protecting and caring for their families and communities as would decide to pack it all in to become mercenary hoplites and tell their wives and children to move into that other dorm over there.

Kakita Kojiro

IL-series Cylon
RPGnet Member
Validated User
The Elmal cult was supplanted by the Yelmalio cult because the latter had access to Sunspear. Converting because of an inferiority complex about being Number Two doesn't make sense; the Yelmalio cult is subordinate in the Yelmic pantheon to an even greater degree.

Mind you, I don't think the Sunspear rationale makes any sense either if you're not playing a RuneQuest game.

I can see Doburdum the Loyal Storm playing a similar role, as he guarded the stead and married ernalda while Orlanth was away, then stepped aside when Orlanth returned.
Why would Doburdun have any myths involving Ernalda or Orlanth? He's a Pelandan god, and the protector (not husband) of Entekos (who isn't Ernalda, anyway).

soltakss

Simon Phipp - RQ Fogey
Validated User
Why would Doburdun have any myths involving Ernalda or Orlanth? He's a Pelandan god, and the protector (not husband) of Entekos (who isn't Ernalda, anyway).
Because he does. At least, he did in the Doburdun writeup in Barbarian Adventures:Sartar Rising. He is recognised as one of Ernalda's many husband protectors.

He is a Pelandan/Pelorian God, the big, loud thunderstorm that grumbles and crackles but blows itself out, basically a pretty useless deity. He is the son of Entekos, who is the daughter of Umath, as least in my Glorantha. I cannot find the reference that says he voluntarily stood down when Orlanth returned, but it fits with his "being a bit useless" aspect.

I don't think of the individual pantheons as being completely separate. The Monomyth is there for a reason and a lot of deities take their places in it. A Darsenite, Pelandan or pelorian deity could well have a place in the Monomyth, as those deities interacted with other deities.

Top Bottom