IC Glory of the Svartrsung

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Havardr

Havardr turns in his seat to see the boy Ivor, as well as the boy's bright-eyed gaze. ..

"I will be going to Seggrhalla, Ivor Haraldson, in the capacity of my office as well as to compete. By my deeds I mean to win glory for myself and our kin. What of your father? Will Harald the Axeman demonstrate his famous mettle?"
The lad's blue eyes turn sour and he looks down at the straw. "No. He says his glories are all behind him. Besides, he had a dream that a snake bit an eagle and killed it, and he thinks it's a bad omen."

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
Havardr

Havardr considers the boy's words for a moment, reaching for a nearby ale flagon. It is not his place to pronounce on omens, nor did Havardr give such things much credence in the first place, especially not when they provided such a pleasant course. More likely it is an excuse from an old man to protect his place while preserving his skin.

"Very well. Much glory is already due to your father's name; it is good that he leaves such for younger men. But what do you think regarding this omen, Ivor? I would ask the same of you two, Eyvald and Bjorn."

OOC: Can I get an Empathy roll regarding Ivor? Roll against Havardr's IQ of 14 to get a feel for what Havardr thinks of the boy.

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
Havardr doesn't find Ivor to be the fastest thinker he's ever met. He'll never be a master of riddles. But he's a ponderer and a careful thinker with a good memory, and might just make a wise counsellor for his jarl one day. He's too scrawny to be the great warrior he dreams of being.

He's naive, painfully honest, and wants to do right by his clan to win respect as a man. He likes squirrels and scratches their image on trees.

Last edited:

Bira

Validated User
OOC:
Do the snake and eagle from the dream allude to anything in Bjorn's mind? Are they symbolic of any clan in particular? Bjorn isn't knowledgeable in these things so the answer is more likely "doesn't ring a bell" if it would require any sort of skill roll :).

Greg 1

Some Guy
Validated User
OOC: Bjorn is no master of lore, but nothing much is jumping out at him. He knows of the eagle of discord who sits atop the world tree Yggdrasil and the serpent Níðhöggr who curls beneath it. But if Harald the Axeman's dream means the end of the world is coming, it seems a poor excuse to stay at home. The Svartrsung use a boar as a symbol. Bjorn doesn't know about the other clans.

Bira

Validated User
Bjorn shrugs his massive shoulders, wipes a bit of mead from his long braided beard. "That omen means nothing to me."

Last edited:

Medley

Asking for it
Banned
Validated User
Havardr glances over to the other two men, though they bear no new knowledge. It is just as well; though men might tell each other the words often enough, to know them is another story. Stigandr, at least, would have an interesting snippet or some verse to relate. It is not his to say more, however. Havard returns his attention to Ivor, patting the boy on the shoulder. Havardr knows he is too soft on matters regarding the boy, but his sympathies are what they are. "Though Harald will not go to the land of the Gunnardung, that is no reason for Haraldson to remain. I will take you with me as my attendant, and to send and receive the tidings for me. Go and tell your father. I will meet with him myself once you return."

Once Ivor leaves, Havardr turns again to the two other men of the Svartrsung. "I apologize. I did not mean to ask you to foretell our fates; that is what only the norns would know, of which even Odin has little ken. Rather, I would ask you whether you take Harald Axeman's dream as the ill omen he believes it to be, and if you will continue on to Seggrhalla regardless."

Bira

Validated User
Bjorn smiles broadly. The woodsman towers over the other guests at the table even while sitting down. His braided beard reaches to his chest, and he wears clean but simple clothes for the occasion.

"Of course I will continue on! No omen will stop Bjorn from entering this contest!"

Top Bottom