OOC [Godbound] Teen Demigods

The Wyzard

An overwhelming surplus of diggity
Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Well, I want to separate him from what the Engineering word can do. He can crunch data and sling code pretty well, I assume, but he can't conjure equipment out of nothing.

There's a greater gift of Engineering called Cutting Edge, and I would use that as a baseline for what he can't do, because he can't buy that gift.

The place I would generally go with him, in a supertech way, is to request Dominion spends to create advanced technology at the Implausible level. So he's not going to invent fusion power in a basement any time soon, but he could probably crack the problems with self-driving cars, because he doesn't have to invent any new hardware to do it.

At any rate, I assure you I will overthink this.

Also, the interesting or fun outcome could just as easily be that he gets caught combing the camp for DNA samples like a weird creepy nerd.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I would personally, out of character, need to have a vastly better understanding of that set of problems before pushing to engage with them.

Also also, if we have someone with the Word of Knowledge, and especially if they buy Omniscient Scholar, we need to make sure that I stay in my lane.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
OS is IMO simultaneously one of the best Gifts in the game while also being mechanically kind of questionable.

The Tim

God-Machinist
Validated User
I think that omni fact type Gifts are viable mechanically, because that's what it is essentially. I do also think that they, especially one like this, opens up a lot of weird questions. Like is it theoretically / at some point a mortal scholar has come across it, in the world you're in, a world you've been in, etc. I mean the plain language read is pretty clear and with broad strokes it is fine, sure you have a PhD in every subject and every subdiscipline of it that doesn't require occult power to study. But the minutiae gets really weird really fast.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
And here's me, just helping some kid figure out a way to fly... feels almost petty in comparison.

The Wyzard

Staff member
Administrator
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Flying is also really cool, though.

And actually....

Dom, are you rescaling overland flight speed for a world where high-tech travel options exist? Because the Flight gifts in the book cap out around a hundred miles per hour, so realistically almost no Godbound should be flying on an intercontinental scale. But I think the last post you made implied some of the NPCs flew to Australia from someplace else.

Unka Josh

Social Justice Game Dev
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I noticed how slow flightspeed was, even with Alacrity; it seems to me that it should be simple for someone like Deb to construct a Miracle to fly across a continent in a Scene, given her Words.

And yes, she could give Marcus wings any time she wanted, but they'd only be temporary, and he clearly wants his own. (I mean, heck, she could easily pick him up and fly with him without necessarily needing to use Shoulders as Wide as the World; lifting a teenager is something some mortals can do.)

Dom27

LARPing as a functional human
Validated User
Curses. Blag has met crunch. I'm going to keep the speeds as written now, and say the increased oomph to go intercontinental was given by their divine parent to get them to camp. So some campers did fly all the way themselves, but only with parental aid.

Yeah he wants his own. I was considering having him ask to touch them but that might come off as a little creepy. Marcus still exists because if i'm writing 15+ npcs to make the cmap seem fleshed out I'm damn well not going to leave an already done character on the table. Obviously he's been tweaked down from PC to NPC story and power wise.

Top Bottom