• Don't link to the video of the Christchurch shooting, or repost links to the shooter's manifesto.

💀 Necro Gold Box games, Eye of the Beholder, Dungeon Hack and other D&D games are now on GOG

Leonaru

Taxidermic Owlbear
Validated User
Eh, really, that sounds like a Rule Zero problem, more than anything else. I don't think you can really avoid stuff like that unless you restrict a game to a finite, never expanding set of race/class/etc options.
Yeah, you can just go with core only and that's it. Bloat issue solved.

KoboldLord

Validated User
Does someone have a quick "For Charactesr of Levels x to y" blurb for each of the titles that can be helpful to plan out a party over time?
For Curse of the Azure Bonds, clerics max out at 10th and magic-users max out at 11th.

For Secret of the Silver Blades, both clerics and magic-users max out at 15th.

Pools of Darkness has no level cap.

Non-human character level caps take precedence over these limits assuming they are lower. There are also limits for fighter, thieves, etc. but they don't mean as much since they mostly only get incremental stat improvement for leveling up.

The Savage Frontier duology has roughly the same caps as Pool of Radiance (Gateway) and Curse of the Azure Bonds (Treasures), but the Krynn trilogy has very different level caps. The important difference in Krynn is that both types of elves have the same advancement as humans for being clerics and magic-users, so you can safely load up your party with multi-classed elves and never have to worry about not having enough strong casters.

Tuxedo Mask said:
I'm starting to think maybe I went from D&D to 2nd Ed AD&D because I have no memory of ever dealing with class caps, in either tabletop or computer games. I'd assumed the class caps in PoR were just for that game and would increase in subsequent games. Oops.
Demihuman level caps is one of the most popularly ignored rules in the history of the D&D brand. Unlike a human DM, the computer DM will never agree that a rule is unnecessary and decide to strike it from the campaign or houserule it away.

Tuxedo Mask said:
Well, I'll stick with them for now. I think the Dwarf Fighter/Thief has some legs in him - the Elf Fighter/Mage looks doomed, but I'll play him through Bonds and maybe replace him in the next game.
I kept my dwarven fighter/thief all the way to the end. He was weaker than the humans, but he was still -14AC and 100hp+ with a girdle of giant strength, so he was durable enough that I didn't have to worry about his fragility and he could hit hard enough to contribute. I wouldn't want to play him in a campaign while surrounded by a bunch of dual-classed ranger/magic-users, but he was okay as one of my six. It's really the elven multi-classed casters that are the horrible trap option, going up against endgame magic and elder demons with around 40hp.

Icarium

Validated User
The caps were there for a reason, really. Not a good one, but yes. Humans kinda sucked compared to other races in 2E. So the caps were there to 'balance' things. It didn't do a good job, as many games didn't get too high and so demihumans were better, but in games where they did, they became fairly lackluster.

Seroster

The Moses of Funk
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Buuuuump.

GoG now has a Ravenloft series bundle (2 games), a Dark Sun series bundle (2 games) and a Krynn series bundle (3) available for $9.99 each.

Grantanz

Validated User
They were. Arg! Just as I started making a slight inroad on my game backlog.

I loved the Krynn series (prettier on the Amiga, only the third in the series was in VGA on the PC, with the others in EGA). Quite liked Dark Sun, too. Never really got into the Ravenloft games.

Count_Zero

Game Master
Validated User
I’d guess an early Mac. The IIe didn’t use that sort of windowed interface.
Except one with a color display - because early Macs were also monochrome displays (my grade school had a small handful of Macs in the computer lab).

EDIT: corrected spelling - they were actual Macs, not Hack-in-toshes

Last edited:
Top Bottom