• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

Gonzo Forgotten Realms Game - WWYD?

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm in a Forgotten Realms games that is, in a word, nuts. By which I mean : 1.) the GM is running it in Pathfinder but allowing free access to third party sources, including 3rd Ed / 3.5 material; 2.) We've been given several freebies and bonuses that amp our disruptive effects up considerably, mostly in the area of Leadership; 3.) he has a loose grasp of the rules, because he tends to mix different editions, and then rule in whatever way is most generous to the players; and 4.) there's no metaplot or overarching story, so we just sort of careen around, doing what we want. Our current To-Do list is : Destroy the Zhentarim. Reclaim Tethyamar. Reclaim Myth Drannor.

This is very much a "shoot for the moon" kind of game, and it's fun in its own way, but I wanted to ask the minds of RPG.net - what would you do in the Forgotten Realms if all the limiters were off?

Caveats :
  • I understand this is not everyone's idea of a fun time. I've got some misgivings about the anything-goes style myself.
  • I am not looking for ways to wreck this campaign. It's already kind of a glorious mess - I'm just looking for ways to escalate it into a more glorious mess.
  • I am very much staying true to my character, who is Chaotic Good, so "punch Elminster's smug face" isn't going to happen. We're the good guys.

Background! We are a four-person adventuring company / corporation doing business as "The Golden Sky Company". We are primarily operating in the northwestern Dalelands and immediate vicinity. The year is 1358 DR, and the Time of Troubles is currently happening in-game.

My colleagues in adventure include :
  • An Aranea Sorcerer from the Spiderhaunt Woods. Newest recruit, alignment Neutral.
  • A Wood Elf "runic berserker" from Cormanthor. Linky-loo. CG.
  • An ambitious Shield Dwarf Artificer. Nominally CG, but the player has a touch of ADHD and is not totally consistent about that. Our Dwarf is the primary instigator of a lot of our wackiness due to poor impulse control and grand designs - he wanted to reclaim his familiy's stronghold, a satellite of Tethyamar of old, then Tethyamar itself. Mix-maxed Leadership. And the GM said if you have a stronghold, double your followers. And let everyone use the Epic Leadership chart from 3E without spending an additional feat, if their score was high enough. (I know.)
Our Dwarf friend has shown no compunctions about allowing non-evil Orcs, Goblins, Drow, Duergar, or whatever to join up with his community, and our GM is pathologically opposed to the idea of "inherently evil" races to the point where it seems like the majority of the humanoids we meet are just neutral and happy to go along to get along, if given a shot at economic equality. The other, more conservative Dwarf lords are giving him grief about marrying a nice Duergar lady, but she came with the most plusses. Between himself, and her, and the stacked bonuses, Dwarfy is rocking several thousand followers, almost all of whom are Dwarves. (Which is probably 160% the size of the actual Dwarf population in the area, but .. eh.) The berserker and myself have some followers as well, but they're more mixed, and less soldier-intensive.

I'm playing a Moon Elf Bard (Archaeologist) / Rogue (Snoop). [I'm Batman. Er, Bat-elf. Well, a Spellfilcher.] I finally succumbed to the temptation to pick up Leadership because our artificer won't stop talking for five seconds to answer my questions, so I had no idea how much time he and his minions would have to craft things for me, so I got a cohort and an Extra Cohort to do that stuff for me. I'm currently ahead of the rest of the party at level 14 to their 12, because of Deck of Many Things shenanigans. I also.. gamed the item creation rules a little bit, and with the use of third-party feats, my team can create any Weapon, Armor, Shield, Ring, Scroll, Magic Tattoo or Wondrous Item in four hours or less. They also do it at 32% of cost, rather than 50%, then the Artificer can scrap it for the full 50% (returned in magic dust useful for crafting items) - so essentially, when they're not making something I need, they're making and destroying magic items at an 18% profit per pop.

The point being, given enough time, I can make any amount of money I need, and nearly any magic item I need. And my character is a skill *monster*.

I'm also in with the Harpers - my character's dedicated to interspecies cooperation, and the recovery and preservation of elven artifacts and culture, it was a natural fit.

We're currently cleaning up Phlan (per Ruins of Adventure, heading towards fighting Tyranthraxus), then our forces and an allied orc horde are planning to take Zhentil Keep. (We may take out Manshoon in advance.) After that, it's on to Tethyamar, and then, gods willing, Myth Drannor.

The question is - what then? Collecting Nether Scrolls like trading cards? Gentrifying Undermountain? Punching Elminster's smug face?

And if any of you are aghast at what I just described .. I feel you. I can explain any bit that seems too incredulous, but items 1 through 4 in my opening are behind most of it.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
Destroy the Wall of the Faithless and False, and remove whatever cosmic principle makes it necessary.

Permakill Lolth.

Anything after that is just glitter on the cake.

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Kill a god - that definitely goes on the list, and Lolth is a great choice.

The Wall .. I love the idea, I think the GM will love the idea - assuming he hasn't already adapted it away in his version. I will have to check!

Calypso

Bunny With a Glock
Validated User
Kill a god - that definitely goes on the list, and Lolth is a great choice.

The Wall .. I love the idea, I think the GM will love the idea - assuming he hasn't already adapted it away in his version. I will have to check!
Pfft, why think small? Take on Ao, remake the universe in your own image. :p

I mean, it sounds like you have a good start on a to-do list. Other things you might add: found a new empire based on whatever your set of ideologies are or find/build a Spelljammer ship and go plane-hopping.

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Pfft, why think small? Take on Ao, remake the universe in your own image. :p

I mean, it sounds like you have a good start on a to-do list. Other things you might add: found a new empire based on whatever your set of ideologies are or find/build a Spelljammer ship and go plane-hopping.
Ao's got no stats, else i might consider it. ;) I wouldn't mind picking up a Jammer, but the Dwarf might be a tough sell on spacefaring, he's kind of attached to his family lands. Expanding to an inter-spheric trade consortium, though..

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Move the planet and its crystal sphere/solar system to a plane where undead either revert to the living or cease to exist.

Uplift all rodents/weeds/fish/cats/dogs/etc. and use them to alter the balance of power in the various pantheons via new worshipers.

Rearrange the continents to alter weather patterns. Much easier than trying to create permanent Control Weather effects of that scale. Or change the shape of the planet.

Have the sun appear at midnight and stick around for a hour on a daily basis. Good for destroying darkness loving critters.

Change humanity so that upon death all of them Reincarnate into young dragons. Color relates to their alignment. Watch the dragon and human gods duke it out over all those lost worshipers/souls.

Add a law of reality that all avatars of evil gods must appear as brooding ogres (or whatever, something annoyingly cliche mixed with something mundane). This doesn't change their powers, just their appearances.

Put evil cities in a time loop and make escape very difficult.

Wild magic is much easier to learn (i.e. less xp to gain wild mage levels).

And then there are the ideas for epic magic from my blog: https://d-infinity.net/blog/derek-holland/new-way-looking-epic-magic just use them on a nation to planet scale.

candidgamera

Atomic Turtle
RPGnet Member
Validated User
Move the planet and its crystal sphere/solar system to a plane where undead either revert to the living or cease to exist.

Uplift all rodents/weeds/fish/cats/dogs/etc. and use them to alter the balance of power in the various pantheons via new worshipers.

Rearrange the continents to alter weather patterns. Much easier than trying to create permanent Control Weather effects of that scale. Or change the shape of the planet.

Have the sun appear at midnight and stick around for a hour on a daily basis. Good for destroying darkness loving critters.

Change humanity so that upon death all of them Reincarnate into young dragons. Color relates to their alignment. Watch the dragon and human gods duke it out over all those lost worshipers/souls.

Add a law of reality that all avatars of evil gods must appear as brooding ogres (or whatever, something annoyingly cliche mixed with something mundane). This doesn't change their powers, just their appearances.

Put evil cities in a time loop and make escape very difficult.

Wild magic is much easier to learn (i.e. less xp to gain wild mage levels).

And then there are the ideas for epic magic from my blog: https://d-infinity.net/blog/derek-holland/new-way-looking-epic-magic just use them on a nation to planet scale.
I like several of these ideas. Some of them may be beyond our ability, as I'm not sure we have good access to Elven High Magic, which most of these would require, at a minimum. When I get to 25, my Extra Cohort will be a 21st level Elven Wizard, though, so I will keep it in mind. The "midnight sun" gambit would be the most plausible, as we'd actually have a reason to do it, and might be able to pull it off with High Magic.

With regards to altering the balance of power of various religions, though, I may have a sneakier, cheesier idea that I could pull off at level 19.

Top Bottom