Good Read

There are, indeed, very old ideas, but we all know that there's precious little new under the sun that hasn't been written before. This was an excellent reminder of non-lethal threats that can be very real and very involved to deal with. In other words, you've made a lot of opportunities for the characters to be heroes.

A good example of putting some of these cliche's into play, while keeping them fresh. Character A in my upcoming urban fantasy game is an Arab mage from Southfield, Michigan. When his father died it made him head of the household, responsible for the welfare of his sister and his mother, whether he wants it or not.

So let's say that baddie #1 sends thugs to deal with the sister. A sound beating, knifing and tossing into Lake Saint Claire are on the agenda. Except that Character A took his role as protector seriously, and to account for when he couldn't be hovering he bought his sister a lovely little ladies gun. Compact and quite the surprise for thugs a and b, who are now dead in her apartment (they're minor thugs, they don't rate capital letters). Now sister needs some real help, because she's an Arab in a city where four Arab men were sent to federal prison just for having some building blueprints on their computers. Going to the police isn't even close to an option. Character A, the big brother, needs to help his sister get rid of the bodies, cover the evidence, and relocate.

That's how I'd play out this cliche, anyway. And maybe I should add that sister as the full dependent disadvantage.

Top Bottom