• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Good Superhero RPG for Campaign/Adventure/GM Guidance?

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Tomorrow, I'm going to be running my first comics/supers game in... 20 years? (Spectaculars, for the record)

What RPGs have good guidance on running a superhero RPG? I don't care about the system or the setting of the book, I'm just interested in reading notes on theme, structuring an adventure, designing a campaign, interpreting powers, etc.

Assume that I've read everything related to Champions, including Aaron Allston's Strikeforce, and Masks.

Bonus points if it's available in PDF so that I can buy and read it before my session tomorrow.

Thanks in advance.

baakyocalder

RPGnet Member
Validated User
GURPS Supers in any of its versions has some good advice.

The GURPS Supers 4e version has lots of templates as well as campaign advice. Available on Drivethrurpg.com and on Warehouse 23, Steve Jackson Games' site.

Soylent Green

Polar Blues
Validated User
Steve Kenson's blog had a whole series of post in which I watched some of the better animated series (Avengers Earth Mighiest Heros and Justice League), episode by episode and drew observations to how they relate to gaming. I sthink it started with this: https://stevekenson.com/2011/05/11/avengers1/

Or you could just watch those animated series again. Come to think of it, I might just do that!

CitizenKeen

Rules Lawyer
Validated User
Steve Kenson's blog had a whole series of post in which I watched some of the better animated series (Avengers Earth Mighiest Heros and Justice League), episode by episode and drew observations to how they relate to gaming. I sthink it started with this: https://stevekenson.com/2011/05/11/avengers1/

Or you could just watch those animated series again. Come to think of it, I might just do that!
This is fucking perfect, and free, so thank you.

Certified

Validated User
If your interested, Metahumans Rising has a guided Step 0 for character creation which is system neutral. Also, the GM chapter talks about story flow, comic book iconography, and world building. It is available in PDF.

Andrew_A

Validated Invalid
Validated User
I’m going to second GURPS Supers. I love how the book breaks down the various sub-genres of superheroes. It also gives you a few sample mini-campaigns near the back. Even if you never run them, they’re great for thinking outside the box.

I also recommend Wild Talents. There’s some great advice on running campaigns.

Beastttt

Validated User
Strikeforce 1ed and 2nd editions(1st Arron Alston ,2nd by Arron Alston w/Micheal Surbrook)

Top Bottom