• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Goodman Games news from GaryCon: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

J Harper

Likes Tomboys
Validated User
If I was a betting man I would have lost money, because I would have been willing to place a bet that B4, The Lost City, was going to be Goodman's next OAR project. Expedition is a very big surprise.

Last edited:

vitruvian

Validated User
What other Appendix N licenses would people care about? Lord of the Rings is obviously taken. I can't imagine that a Silver John license would do much more than the reissue of Shudder Mountains has (I Kickstarted it and am excited, but I don't know there's a huge audience for it). Maybe Red Sonja or another REH license separate from Conan?

EDIT: Maybe Elric? I haven't read the books, but that feels a lot more refined than the DCC core flavor.

EDIT 2: Hmm, maybe Edgar Rice Burroughs?
There's a lot more good stuff in Appendix N, assuming you're referring to the original one. A lot of it might not be familiar to most current players, but game designers at Goodman Games could see potential even in those, and by that same token the license might not cost an arm and a leg.

Poul Anderson's fantasy didn't really fit into one cohesive universe, unless you count the multiversal connections shown in A Midsummer Night's Tempest, and there are certainly a lot of classic D&D tropes like regenerating trolls that seem to originate in his works. Then there's also the science fiction connection. Could there be interest in a Shakespeare and Spaceships setting?

John Bellairs is referenced in the Appendix for Face in the Frost, but his 'urban' fantasy/kids lit work has recently been adapted to a Jack Black movie, so maybe?

Leigh Brackett was kind of the queen of hard-bitten planetary romance, even apart from the Star Wars connection... maybe some from her, some from Burroughs.

Frederic Brown was known mainly for quirky, humorous short stories, so while it would be fun I'm kind of doubting it.

Lin Carter... don't mean to bash per se, but I'm having a hard time thinking of anything particularly unique to make any of his works worth adapting.

L. Sprague de Camp... whatever you think of his involvement with the Conan rewrites, the man had a number of unique fantasy series, both by himself and in partnership with Fletcher Pratt. I could see the Pusadian or Novarian cycles or even the Harold Shea mathemagic multiverse being excellent licenses.

Dunsany is classic, but I'm not sure how suited the mood of his stories would be to D&D style play.

Philip Jose Farmer's World of Tiers setting could make for some interesting games.

Fritz Leiber of course is classic, only question is whether the Lankhmar/Nehwon license is still elsewhere.

Merrit would lead to a very pulpy license; for Moorcock, it would depend on what the current status of his different classic properties actually is.... could be interesting to get the first writeup for Elric and Melniboneans in the system since the first version of Deities & Demigods.

Andre Norton's Witch World was the subject of a GURPS book years and years ago, don't know if it would have any resonance now.

Vance's Dying Earth of course has a whole different game devoted to it, so seems unlikely.

That leaves Jack Williamson, who's probably not well known enough, and Zelazny. Now, I have no idea of the rights situation there, and any sane game designer would have trepidation about following up on the classic Amber Diceless with a D&D 5E setting... but if someone tried their hand at it, I for sure would have to at least check it out. It could represent a really good opportunity to come up with guidelines for truly epic level play...

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Reading Goodman's examination of appendix N in DCC, I wonder if he is angling for the one major source not listed- CAS. Smith's Zothique would be a perfect setting to game in.

vitruvian

Validated User
It's with Goodman. They've been developing a DCC version of Lankhmar for about two years now. Now they're getting an additional license beyond that.
Huh, I saw the three small modules/supplements, I guess the actual boxed set off the Kickstarter is still in the works except for proof PDFs for backers?

Machpants

ExF3Nav
Validated User
Yeah we've got the final box set and extra module PDFs. Printing process has started, so they'll be up for public soon,,I guess.

Ps they're awesome, the level of love and research is amazing

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
It's Expedition to the Barrier Peaks!
(Tim Wadzinski just posted a picture of him and Michael Curtis holding the oversized novelty cover mock-up on my Gary Con Facebook post asking about it)
Kiiiiiiiick ass.

-Thornhammer

vitruvian

Validated User
Yeah we've got the final box set and extra module PDFs. Printing process has started, so they'll be up for public soon,,I guess.

Ps they're awesome, the level of love and research is amazing
Do they include stats for Hisvin, Hisvet, and the intelligent rats of the undercity? Doesn't have to be as a playable race, though I would prefer that, but every Lankhmar adaptation I've ever seen since the 80s has lacked or handwaved (as wererats for example) this feature of the setting. Also a version of Reduce that lets you get to Tiny for those specific adventures, of course...

Machpants

ExF3Nav
Validated User
There is Hisvin's potions, and adventure where that is core to it, Demoiselle Hisvet is statted up, as is Hisvin, - they're mentioned often. Mostly with respect to his potions.

Top Bottom