Goodman Games news from GaryCon: Expedition to the Barrier Peaks

Liberator

Rollin' Dice
Validated User
I've done some of the Dying Earth DCC playtests at GENCON last year. Solid stuff but I'm not sure if there is a definitive release date.

I run a monthly 5E game for a bunch of kids with some other GM's....and those kids are going to go nuts when they get themselves a little Expedition action!

Machpants

ExF3Nav
Validated User
I'm not sure if I'll pick that up, I like a splash of sci fi in my fantasy, like barrier peaks, not full on sci fantasy. But man Ian Miller art is so good, right up there with Russ Nicholson!

That announcement confirmed they have the Dying Earth licence, so I wonder when we'll see that?

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Looking at the synopsis of the series, it doesn't look like science fantasy. If all advanced technology fails and magic suddenly works, it is fantasy with a technological precursor.

With the addition of demons, I really don't have any interest in it. I have enough nukes with demons in Dark Matter and Technomancer.

Whizbang Dustyboots

Validated User
I have no experience with Saberhagen, so this does nothing for me (although it's interesting to note how many works from that time had the same idea with post-apocalyptic Earth and magic -- I'd love to see Ralph Bakshi's Wizards get the DCC treatment), although I should probably pick it up.

I don't much like the Dying Earth books -- heresy, I know -- but I'm much more interested in that, since it seems likely to be stuffed with ideas for games.

DavetheLost

Validated User
Looking at the synopsis of the series, it doesn't look like science fantasy. If all advanced technology fails and magic suddenly works, it is fantasy with a technological precursor.

With the addition of demons, I really don't have any interest in it. I have enough nukes with demons in Dark Matter and Technomancer.
Empire of the East is mostly straight fantasy. Not D&D style fantasy though. There is less magic, and what magic there is tends to be a lot less flashy. There are demons, but they are not typical RPG demons.

Empire of the East was foundational to D&D, and more than a little related to the sort of thing Barrier Peaks did. I don't want to get into specifics because it would be a major spoiler.

I rate Empire of the East very highly, and if you like the Swords books it is set in the same universe, but at a different time. IIRC is before the Swords books.

DMH

Master of Mutant Design
Validated User
Okay, I haven't read much of Saberhagen* and will give this a look when it is released.

*I do remember the pie throwing death machine.

Getting back to Barrier Peaks, I wonder if they are going to include a command and engines levels? It would be hilarious if the PCs try to get it back into space. Of course they could also have a hanger level with a cutter or yacht that would be much easier to use and survive.

Then there is the energy/matter containment unit that has a pair of tarrasques, a demigod, a hoard of tribbles, or the torch from the Statue of Liberty. Or a brig filled with cyborgs wanting new flesh, an alien hunter kept in stasis, or something cute like Motie watchmakers.

So much potential, they must be having trouble deciding on which they want the most.

Thornhammer

More Ullish in Hue
Validated User
I have strong memories of the cover for Empire of the East (the edition with the guy standing in the middle with a sword in his hand, imposed over some women and a helmet and other stuff). Don't think I ever read it, but I remember seeing it in my father's collection of books.

Eight bucks for the Kindle version of the trilogy...if I can't find his copy, I'll read the Kindle version. I hope I can find his, though, it would definitely provide an enhancement to the experience if that makes sense.

-Thornhammer

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
I rate Empire of the East very highly, and if you like the Swords books it is set in the same universe, but at a different time. IIRC is before the Swords books.
I can barely remember Empire of the East and the Swords series -- I think I read them ~35 years ago -- but one thing that I do remember vividly is that Empire is indeed set long before the Swords novels (the "Empire" remains on a map at the time of Swords, but it's only a small patch of land inhabited by a mad old man, apparently the last Emperor).

Akrasia

Lord of Procrastination
Validated User
Well this is exciting news! I love the Dying Earth stories, so I'll be sure to check out a new DE role-playing game. I haven't been too impressed with DCCRPG based on what I've seen so far (which, I'll be quick to confess, isn't much), but if there is a DE variant perhaps I might be won over.

With Design Mechanism producing a Lyonesse role-playing game (based on Mythras), it looks like Vance's two great fantasy series will have RPGs soon.

The S3 reprint sounds intriguing. I love the Erol Otus art for the original. One of the things that I was most disappointed by with the S1-4 reprint that WotC put out in 2013 is that Otus' beautiful colour pictures were rendered in muddy black-and-white. Hopefully GG will recreate them in their vivid glory!

Top Bottom