• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Grand Central Arena/Arenaverse - what system would you use and why?

Pilgrim

Strength Protocol
Validated User
Thanks to the Kickstarter for Shadows of Hyperion, I finally read Grand Central Arena then Spheres of Influence. I'm waiting until the entertainment budget refreshes to get Challengers of the Deep.
For those that haven't read it, it's a love letter to classic space opera with a few (ha!) transhuman bits thrown in that become more significant as the series advances. And Hyperion is the reason for the ha!.
It's unreservedly pulpy, complete with cliffhangers and all the tropes.

And while I'm waiting I got to thinking about the setting and what system might do it best.
Right now, FATE Starblazer Adventures is in the lead, with Strange Fate bringing up the rear. Mainly because FATE does pulp so well. And yes I know that a RPG will be coming from Ad Astra games, but why wait around?

But, I'd love to hear what you think would do the job and why.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
I've never heard of these. I might have to thank you in advance.

As such, thank you, and I have NO idea. Given you're mentioning Fate as your first suggestions means I'm pretty sure anything I would like wouldn't suit your tastes :)

Pilgrim

Strength Protocol
Validated User
Don't be so sure. 10-15 years ago, I'd have said GURPS or TriStat dX/BESM 2e or Storyteller. FATE just currently occupies the headspace and addresses encouraging the action/pulp role-playing more than others.

Chikahiro

Neo•Geo Fanboy
Validated User
For us its HERO, but we also have specific needs plus like the character creation mini-game as it were.

Hmm... I quite liked Marvel Heroic, and Cortex Prime is out Soon™ I think.

Savage Worlds? I'm not familiar with it, but its well spoken of.

Evil Midnight Lurker

What Lurks at Midnight
Validated User
There's enough differences in power that you'd want a system that handles scaling well. I'm tempted to say Trinity or Scion, or a freakish mashup of both.

Myth

Southern Mane
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I'm thinking one of the Cortex variants, if you need something already available. Motivation seems as powerful a force for success as powers and abilities.

Top Bottom