• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Gregor Hutton's 3:16

LoreHeron

Has anyone had experience playing "3:16 Carnage Amongst the Stars"? From reading the rulebook, the basic conceit looks fun, but I'm curious whether it holds up in play. Impressions/criticisms/houserules welcome.

Ante

Validated User
It's very bare bones in what it generates for opposition, so be prepared to think a bit about how to describe creatures and also how to include lot of setting so it wont just be "so you fire your guns, they take hits".

But in general it's a great game, great fun. I have played it a lot and now I feel the urge again.

Cybe

Validated User
I have a copy of it sitting on my shelf, I picked it up at Conception in the UK way back in 2009. It's a nice little game, quite rules-lite and fun but I genuinely can't remember when the last time I picked it up might have been. I seem to recall that it was good to play with a tongue-in-cheek tone.

CodexofRome

Deposer
Validated User
Played it several times after it came out. My group, mostly wargamers, were happy enough with the experience, they were willing to try more traditional RPGs.

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
It's a brilliant game. Absolutely, stunningly brilliant. I'm writing a new hack of it now, gothic action set in my Miserable Secrets universe.

It can also be dark and brutal as fuck. Not the operatic, spectacular grim darkness of 40k, but a game about being a tool of mass murder as a soul-crushing day-to-day job. It can switch from Red vs. Blue to Apocalypse Now to Blackadder Goes Forth over the space of a few minutes.

So that's what you've got. Brilliant rules, explosive premise, belly laughs, and potentially destroying the Earth when your conscience catches up to you.

Particle_Man

White Knight
Validated User
I really wish the fantasy version had come out. But yeah it is a fun read. I haven’t had a chance to play or run it yet.

Pandora Caitiff

Goblin Princess
Validated User
I love the system, and the setting, but while the game supports you well through the start of a campaign, there's not much support for when you reach the mid/late game and things have to progress beyond the basic playstyle

Soylent Green

Polar Blues
Validated User
Ran it once, played it once. It was OK but I never really felt a desire to revisit it. It's very clever, interesting game but I guess just to narrow in focus for my tastes.

I think may also be a perception issue with the game. The ultra-light rules and non-prep setup lend themselves more to emergency pick up game. However the word is, from those in the know, is that 3:16 only really come into its own in an extended campaign. At certainly, if you look at the rules id clear that certain dynamics and rules only come into play further down the line. But I suspect the pick up game aspect is probably what gets more actual play time.

Miss Atomic Bomb

Welcome to your life. There's no turning back.
Staff member
RPGnet Member
Validated User
I think may also be a perception issue with the game. The ultra-light rules and non-prep setup lend themselves more to emergency pick up game. However the word is, from those in the know, is that 3:16 only really come into its own in an extended campaign. At certainly, if you look at the rules id clear that certain dynamics and rules only come into play further down the line. But I suspect the pick up game aspect is probably what gets more actual play time.
Which is how I ended up playing it -- you can play a full planetary war in under an hour, so we were able to do a real campaign during our lunchbreaks.

LoreHeron

It's very bare bones in what it generates for opposition, so be prepared to think a bit about how to describe creatures and also how to include lot of setting so it wont just be "so you fire your guns, they take hits".

But in general it's a great game, great fun. I have played it a lot and now I feel the urge again.
That was my main worry. I actually appreciate light rules as opposed to the massive compendia that come with D&D/Pathfinder, but the creature descriptions feel like I'd need to put a good bit of thought and effort in to make them come alive as actual aliens that the PCs are slaughtering instead of "monster movie cliche #6". There's also the issue that some Alien Special Abilities appear to be nearly identical (Leaping vs Fast Movement, Armor vs Ignore Wounds).

Top Bottom