• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

Gregor Hutton's 3:16

Robert A. Rodger

Aspiring Kermit
Validated User
I don't have a whole lot to add, having only run it a handful of times. But coincidentally, I recently found a bag I had put together of weapon cards and storm trooper figures that I must have used at a convention game that brought back warm memories.

oakfed

Validated User
Although the bible verse is the probable source, other interesting links include:

The My Lai massacre was March 16 1968
Battalion 3-16 was a CIA-trained counterinsurgency unit in Honduras involved in torture and murder

Particle_Man

White Knight
Validated User
Although the bible verse is the probable source, other interesting links include:

The My Lai massacre was March 16 1968
Battalion 3-16 was a CIA-trained counterinsurgency unit in Honduras involved in torture and murder
IIRC it was actually a wrestler trash-talk quote of Stone Cold Steve Austin in reply to a biblical preacher themed wrestler Jake Roberts: "Austin 3:16 says I just whipped your ass!"

Oh here is more from the man himself (scroll down for his comment on the matter). So Austin is one source, the bible is one source, and there are others.

Upstart

Indie Hippy Gamer
Validated User
It's a dark comedy game, this doesn't get emphasized enough. More serious than Paranoia, less serious than 40K. Not really my thing, but it's very original.

Cybe

Validated User
But I've always wondered what it was up with the name. "3:16"? Is that a reference to the biblical verse? If so, how did they spend that? If not, what is the reference?
I may be misremembering it, but I am almost certain that it was only included to sound cool and didn't have any other assigned meaning. I'm not sure if it said so in the book or if I asked Mr Hutton directly at some point, but I'm pretty sure I got the idea from the author personally in one way or another.

Deliverator

Belongs to an elite order
Validated User
I just want to add to the love for this amazing game. I find that running it in a four-hour session in a convention, you can easily do three planets / missions. What I've done that was successful is have the planets quickly change in terms of how sympathetic the aliens are. I think it went something like "terrifying tentacle monsters" --> "frighteningly powerful but clearly sentient intelligent apes" --> "hot elf babes."

In a campaign, you probably only want to do 3-4 sessions, unless your pacing is very slow.

In addition to various tricks others have mentioned, in terms of making the rest of the squad interesting, making the officers hate-able, etc, I want to add one other thing I did at a con: do chargen in character. You yell instructions as to how to fill out their characters sheets at them in a drill sergeant voice. Very effective for setting the tone. "ALRIGHT, MAGGOTS! YOU WILL WRITE YOUR NAMES IN THE TOP SPACE!!"

Ante

Validated User
In addition to various tricks others have mentioned, in terms of making the rest of the squad interesting, making the officers hate-able, etc, I want to add one other thing I did at a con: do chargen in character. You yell instructions as to how to fill out their characters sheets at them in a drill sergeant voice. Very effective for setting the tone. "ALRIGHT, MAGGOTS! YOU WILL WRITE YOUR NAMES IN THE TOP SPACE!!"
That's just brilliant. Stolen.

effkat

Validated User
Is this you by any chance?

Top Bottom