Gritty Silhouette

Balbinus

Repairer of Reputations
So I own a copy of Gear Krieg RPG, right? And recently I've been taking a fresh look at it as a straight WW2 game since I'm not a big Gurps fan.

So the upshot is, if I use silhouette I'd probably set it to gritty. How well does it work on that? It seems like everyone has average stats and the system seems very grainy (although that is true at all reality levels). On the other hand not rolling 6s must speed things up...

Anyone got any advice? Tried Silhouette on gritty mode? Particularly Gear Krieg on gritty as a straight WW2 game?

Comments?

Kai Tave

Validated User
Sil on "gritty" mode is a good way to introduce players to the wonderful and exciting world of sudden death.

Which is actually not necessarily a bad thing for a WWII game. Just so you know and all. Characters can die very easily on gritty, and even on heroic.

John Buckmaster

Civilian
Validated User
Modifications

Depending on what type of 'Gritty' you want, you might want to add "complex skills" like in the other Sil games, or keep Destiny Points (within reason, of course). The Heavy Gear GM's Guide notes that the following films could be considered 'Gritty'

Full Metal Jacket
Apocalypse Now
Platoon
Casablanca
Maltese Falcon
Blade Runner

Hope this helps

-John

Martin de guerre

Validated User
French Canadian Anime Goodness

Although you can play the silhouette system in "gritty" mode, it seems like the designers are aiming for anime style action. The army lists in HG seem to confirm my theory. While you can have "grittiness" in a skirmish, you have to realize it's in set in a "Saving Private Ryan" or better yet "Enemy at the Gates" setting where there's a "private little war" happening in the middle of a huge conflict.

MelanisZbri

RPGnet Member
If you want major combats you can always adapt the rules from Lightning strike (which can handle about 40-50 units per side (not a big deal unless you realize that 1 unit can = a whole platoon of troops, 40-50 platoons (or less and add support like Exos/Gears/Walkers/Z'Bri :p ) is not a private war).

Martin de guerre

Validated User
The PC perspective in dp9 games seems to be somewhat gritty, by default, but the dp9 designers love to include the metaplot in Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles. So, I agree the whole Terranovan war is not a "little war," but from the characters' perspective their part in it might be.

Balbinus said:
So I own a copy of Gear Krieg RPG, right? And recently I've been taking a fresh look at it as a straight WW2 game since I'm not a big Gurps fan.

So the upshot is, if I use silhouette I'd probably set it to gritty. How well does it work on that? It seems like everyone has average stats and the system seems very grainy (although that is true at all reality levels). On the other hand not rolling 6s must speed things up...

Anyone got any advice? Tried Silhouette on gritty mode? Particularly Gear Krieg on gritty as a straight WW2 game?

Comments?
I haven't tried Gear Krieg, but I've run a couple of Tribe 8 campaigns...and the standard T8 Silhouette definately isn't the "cinematic" one.

While the system is quick and clean, run at these levels, it pretty much means that unless a PC is a complete and utter combat monster, a single solid hit is going to send him running away like a little girl to hide somewhere if the player wants him to live.

This is fairly gritty, and it may be realistic...but it can get pretty frustrating from the player's point of view, IME.

However, if you want a gritty feel where getting shot in battle means it's fairly likely the PC is toast (or, at best, out of commision and having serious problems succeeding at any physical rolls in the forseeable future) then it should work pretty well for you. :)

Wil

Rivetgeek
Validated User
Martin de guerre said:
The PC perspective in dp9 games seems to be somewhat gritty, by default, but the dp9 designers love to include the metaplot in Heavy Gear and Jovian Chronicles. So, I agree the whole Terranovan war is not a "little war," but from the characters' perspective their part in it might be.
What does the metaplot in any DP9 game have to do with the system? And how did they slip a metaplot into Jovian Chronicles without me even noticing? Last time I checked, there was absolutely no metaplot at all.

MelanisZbri

RPGnet Member
What does the metaplot in any DP9 game have to do with the system? And how did they slip a metaplot into Jovian Chronicles without me even noticing? Last time I checked, there was absolutely no metaplot at all.
Which many, like myself, still grieve. JC is suffering from "neglected middle child" syndrome (since just about everything is a syndrome of some kind). Before JC starts sending DP9 the bill for years of therapy give it a chance and give it a wonderful, HG-esque metaplot!

Ma'at
- chairperson of the JC Metaplot Coalition

John Buckmaster

Civilian
Validated User
JC Metaplot

I think there might be plans for JC to have a metaplot. The whole Lightning Strike First Edition set 10 years further in the future during a war, and 2nd being set during the 'current' time, seems to indicate this. That, and I read somehwere they were going to get to the events leading up to and including the war when they were ready.

We now return you to your normal Thread...

Anyone come up with or see the need for Emergency Dice (Daring Dice) caps on rolls? Does it depend on the realism level?

-John

Top Bottom