• The window for editing your posts has been extended from 48 hours to about two weeks or so. Please report any problems with this in Trouble Tickets.

[Guardians of Order] Mark MacKinnon/Guardians resurfaces

JLowder

Retired User
Mark MacKinnon, the publisher of Guardians of Order, has resurfaced in the guise of Dyskami Publishing (http://www.dyskami.ca/Games/Dyskami/Dyskami.html). He's using a service to front a Kickstarter for a board game, and there's a thread started by him/his company over at Board Game Geek here: http://boardgamegeek.com/article/11996904#11996904.

So if you are one of the many freelancers still owed money by Mark and Guardians, you have some new ways to get in touch with him.

Cheers,
James Lowder

Last edited:

JLowder

Retired User
URL fixed. Thanks.

And as I have noted elsewhere: nothing says class act like including an image of one of the games you failed to pay freelancers for in your new Kickstarter video as an example of past industry triumphs.

trechriron

RPG Enthusiast
Validated User
Maybe he can be convinced to pay his debts to the freelancers if the game kickstarts?

"People love a good redemption story!" - Congressmen Francis Underwood, House of Cards.

Sorry, but as soon as I read about people chasing a debt, I couldn't help but think of this.

Spoiler: Show

If I understand the situation correctly, the debts to the freelancers belonged to Gaurdians Of Order, not to MacKinnon himself.
That is how it usually works, so other than him feeling morally obliged to pay people, he is personally under no obligation to pay, and using company funds to pay the debts could be legally out of the question.

Last edited:

JLowder

Retired User
If I understand the situation correctly, the debts to the freelancers belonged to Gaurdians Of Order, not to MacKinnon himself.
As I understand it, Mark was sole owner. He had full control over how Guardians dealt with the crisis. Even if you set aside the financial debt, how he handled the problems--how he addressed the obligations he had created--was destructive. Some of the people to whom he owed money, myself included, might have been willing to write off the debt had he not acted the way he did.

nightwind1

Validated User
There was a post on the boardgamegeek page asking about whether he was going to pay the freelancers from his Kickstarter funds, but apparently someone had it deleted.

AJFixer

Writer
Validated User
As I understand it, Mark was sole owner. He had full control over how Guardians dealt with the crisis. Even if you set aside the financial debt, how he handled the problems--how he addressed the obligations he had created--was destructive. Some of the people to whom he owed money, myself included, might have been willing to write off the debt had he not acted the way he did.
Oh, I'm definitely not saying Mark doesn't have a moral obligation to pay the freelancers; I was not part of that situation and certainly don't have the knowledge to comment on his handling of it. (Which, by all accounts, was abysmal.) I'm just saying that from a legal perspective, I don't think the GoO creditors can go after this new company for GoO debts. I'm not even sure Mark is the sole owner of this new company.

All that said, this new board/card game does look kind of neat.

Top Bottom