• The Infractions Forum is available for public view. Please note that if you have been suspended you will need to open a private/incognito browser window to view it.

NinjaWeasel

Both Cute and Stealthy
Validated User
Depends where you are really some states in the EU have Vat on books.
Okay, I don't know the rules in other EU countries. In the UK we are okay with RPGs as long as they don't contain dice or other bits & bobs. As soon as they include anything other than just books they get reclassed as games. I once read of someone who ordered The One Ring from Amazon US, believing they would save money, and then getting landed with additional fees because it's in a case with dice. Ultimately it cost them more than buying it in the UK.

Last edited:

Toms dad

Banned
Okay, I don't know the rules in other EU countries. In the UK we are okay with RPGs as long as they don't contain dice or other bits & bobs. As soon as they include anything other than just books they get reclassed as games. I once read of someone who ordered The One Ring from Amazon US, believing they would save money, and then getting landed with additional fees because it's in a case with dice. Ultimately it cost them more than buying it in the UK.
TBH its not so much weather the item is VATable or rated for duties thats the issue, but if HMCE thinks it might be that's the problem. They will charge the deliverer and the deliverer will withhold delivery until you reimburse them (it being their only chance to recoup). You can of course pay and challenge and hope for a refund. But some deliverers charge an admin fee which is non refundable (The post office does I know) so quite often it's not worthwhile.

That said I've been buying stuff from the US for years (KS - various companies, eBay, amazon.com, noble knights* etc) and I've been caught out only twice in that time.

Obviously the best thing is that the shipper marks it all correctly, but that's why its better have a European fulfiller dotting the I's and crossing the T's, rather than say a RPG publisher state-side who for perfectly valid reasons may not be aware of localised EU import tax regulations.

We run lots of back and forth import export UK, EU, USA rest of world, at work. I think the idea of shipping all EU orders in one batch on a seas freight to a fulfiller and then fulfilling delivery with local agent is a v.good idea. It should save Moon design some money instead of shipping individually and direct. Which in this case is more than reasonable since the KS P&P for international wouldn't cover very much of sending 6kg across the Atlantic!

Don't get me wrong that fulfiller isn't working for free, but say it's 100 (out of 1200 backer in total) books going to Europe, that's 600kg plus packaging. You definitely want to send that in one go and spilt down the line, than ship 100x 6kg packets individually accross the atlantic.

*Obligatory shout out to the noble knights boys who always get it right!

Last edited:

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
You know what? I think I'll take the plunge. It may not be a wise choice, all in all, but I feel like getting a true luxury item for myself.

Now, if the Glorantha site registration only went through so I actually could order the thing...

Derek

Validated User
Is it possible to arrange a GenCon pickup for the books and prepay without the shipping? I'm still teetering on the fence, but would like to know if the option is there.

Mark Mohrfield

Validated User
Is it possible to arrange a GenCon pickup for the books and prepay without the shipping? I'm still teetering on the fence, but would like to know if the option is there.
I asked this myself in an email, and was informed that it couldn't be done as MD is working through fulfillment companies to ship the Guide.

Mark Mohrfield

Validated User
You know what? I think I'll take the plunge. It may not be a wise choice, all in all, but I feel like getting a true luxury item for myself.
If you later decide that you don't want it, it occurs to me that as the Guide will not be reprinted in this format so it's resale value will probably be quit high.

Thanaeon

Mostly simulationist
Validated User
If you later decide that you don't want it, it occurs to me that as the Guide will not be reprinted in this format so it's resale value will probably be quit high.
Fair point, that.

Still, while I'm considering offloading some of the contents of my bookshelf, something like this I think I'll treasure. Not to say that I won't ever sell it, but I certainly won't be in a hurry to do so.

Also, ordered.

Last edited:

Chris J

Validated User
Ok, I'm from the UK, so how much will this cost me for the top drawer stuff (hardbacks and that), and how much shipping?

I might just make this a spontaneous purchase and be done with it! :D

Uz2Go

Validated User
Ok, I'm from the UK, so how much will this cost me for the top drawer stuff (hardbacks and that), and how much shipping?

I might just make this a spontaneous purchase and be done with it! :D
A pre-order hardback Atlas as well as the Guide (which just comes in the hardback form) for the UK is $225 (about £134), including P&P. 6kg+ of Gloranthan Gold isn't cheap but it is one of the best RPG investments you'll make.

Chris J

Validated User
A pre-order hardback Atlas as well as the Guide (which just comes in the hardback form) for the UK is $225 (about £134), including P&P. 6kg+ of Gloranthan Gold isn't cheap but it is one of the best RPG investments you'll make.
Thank you

Top Bottom